Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012

foxjohng
Default Super-Slow Swimming

Need some advice. I've been trying Super-Slow Swimming, as recommended in Terry's book "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy."

On the good side of the ledger, I was able to do it without any struggling or even too much difficulty, which I take to mean that my overall balance and form aren't too bad. Also, after doing SSS for 15 minutes, I found that my whole-stroke at normal speed was definitely easier.

On the other hand, I found that, while I was doing SSS, my SPL went way up; almost by a factor of two. This is contrary to the book, which suggests that SSS results in very low SPLs because of the extra time to stretch farther, glide farther, &c.

Two questions:

1) What's up?
2) What stroke-rate would you say (approximately) is super-slow?

Thanks,

John
Old 02-23-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxjohng View Post
Need some advice. I've been trying Super-Slow Swimming, as recommended in Terry's book "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy."

On the good side of the ledger, I was able to do it without any struggling or even too much difficulty, which I take to mean that my overall balance and form aren't too bad. Also, after doing SSS for 15 minutes, I found that my whole-stroke at normal speed was definitely easier.

On the other hand, I found that, while I was doing SSS, my SPL went way up; almost by a factor of two. This is contrary to the book, which suggests that SSS results in very low SPLs because of the extra time to stretch farther, glide farther, &c.

Two questions:

1) What's up?

Thanks,

John
So you were moving slowly thruogh the water, but your stroke rate must have been higher than normal if your SPL was twice normal?

My guess is that you are probably TOOO relaxed and are not getting an firm catch in the wter so you are not moving forward

When I swim super slow...My SPL is 11-12. Both my speed and my stroke rate are slow.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-23-2012

swimmermike

Foxjohng

You may already be doing this, but are you extending your lead hand/wrist and gliding on your side? In terms of proportional time, you should be spending lots of time on your side, especially in super slow swimming (see recent threads on Shinji's stroke for elaboration on this topic). Generally this results in a lower SPL.
Old 02-23-2012

Butiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxjohng View Post

Two questions:

1) What's up?
Most of my slow swimming is spent on gliding and streamlining. However, the underwater catch and pull (in my mind) is still purposeful (catch) and accelerated (pull). This is true as well for my hip rotation (weight shift). The only part of my stroke that seems slowed down is the actual gliding and arm recovery phase.

1) So maybe you are slowing down ALL parts of your stroke, including the underwater catch and pull, to the effect that your arm is just slipping through the water?

2) My slowest is 2 sec/stroke. I just discovered Terry's pyramid set using the Tempo Trainer, and it's been a wonderful eye-opener. Terry thinks there's no benefit in going slower than 2 sec/stroke.