Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Speedo Breaststroke Fins

What do you think of these fins? (I found them for $34 on SwimOutlet.)




Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2009
naj naj is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 624
naj
Default

What the flim-flam! How in the heck are you gonna be able to stand up in the shallow end with those things on?!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
What the flim-flam! How in the heck are you gonna be able to stand up in the shallow end with those things on?!
I don't...know...yet. Maybe just float and scull instead. I thought the same thing about pushing off the wall. I should have them next week, so I'll find out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2009
madvet madvet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 230
madvet
Default

You could check out this video. I don't know if there was any change in the before and after but I didn't really try too hard. Does he go any farther per kick??http://www.shark-bait.com/blog/2008/...t-stroke-fins/
__________________
John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvet View Post
You could check out this video. I don't know if there was any change in the before and after but I didn't really try too hard. Does he go any farther per kick??http://www.shark-bait.com/blog/2008/...t-stroke-fins/
Can't tell. I'm really distracted by the kicking error.

I was thinking that the support inside the blade might slow the glide.

(I do know that his foot size is between 7 and 9 based on the colour of the fins.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-15-2009
CoachEricDeSanto CoachEricDeSanto is offline
TI Coach
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 384
CoachEricDeSanto
Default

I have never used them. But I have tried a cheesy cheap alternative I saw in an Ed Moses breast stroke video. He just strapped his hand paddles to the inside of his ankles. I laughed, then tried it. You are right. You can't push off the wall. You can't stand up. But, I fixed, in 50 yards, a problem I had not been able to fix in 4 months (I could not get myself to push straight back and keep my feet a little apart in streamline.) And after taking the paddles off, I have never gone back to over whipping since. I just had to feel the correct motion. I imagine, these fins would do the same for you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-15-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEricD View Post
I have never used them. But I have tried a cheesy cheap alternative I saw in an Ed Moses breast stroke video. He just strapped his hand paddles to the inside of his ankles. I laughed, then tried it. You are right. You can't push off the wall. You can't stand up. But, I fixed, in 50 yards, a problem I had not been able to fix in 4 months (I could not get myself to push straight back and keep my feet a little apart in streamline.) And after taking the paddles off, I have never gone back to over whipping since. I just had to feel the correct motion. I imagine, these fins would do the same for you.
Wow, brilliant! I wish I knew about that sooner! Would you mind sharing a screen shot of the paddle-fins in action?

My current technique is to bump the feet together, then relax and let them drift apart.

I'm wondering if prolonged use of fins could hurt the knees or something.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-15-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Would you mind sharing a screen shot of the paddle-fins in action?
Found a shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moses+paddles.jpg (37.7 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

Got my fins today. Testing is tonight. I can say a few things though. You can stand in them or tip-toe. If you stand or maybe push off a wall, the fin compresses. If you tip-top, the edge of the fin compresses imperceptibly.

The dry fit is very tight. I take a US 11.5 wide shoe usually and these fins are size 10-12. They need to be tight to prevent twisting, I suppose.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Fins Water Tested

The fins wet-fit perfectly. They work great. One thing I didn't expect was the fact that, while they make the frog/whip kick very powerful, they take all power away from the flutter kick. Tip-toeing to push off works, but I had to be careful when pushing against the smooth tiles of the black cross due to slipping. The fins float even though they have mass to them.

Tomorrow I'll get to find out if my legs or knees hurt. Can't wait. heh

A few times I kicked incorrectly with my left leg and felt the fin just slip. The fins should help with developing a symmetrical technique by emphasising the asymmetries. In a short time I think they will really help with keeping the knees closer and getting the lower legs turned out. The fins respond well when I focus on kicking my heels back. They might make me lazy about positioning my feet though.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.