Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011

dshen
Default How to Train/Swim/Race a 10K?

hey all,

i think i'm about to sign up for my first 10K OW swim race. i've done 4k ironman distance swims but that's about it until now.

does anyone have any pointers to information about what to expect in a 10K?

thanks!
Old 12-03-2011

dshen

hmm i guess nobody does ;-)

but i found this excellent thread from the USMS forums:

How to Train For OW 10K
Old 12-03-2011

swim2Bfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshen View Post
hmm i guess nobody does ;-)
but i found this excellent thread from the USMS forums:
How to Train For OW 10K
As you discovered, the USMS Open Water forum is probably a better venue for questions like this. Do you have any more specific queries than "what to expect in a 10K"?

What is your time for the 4K?

What is your weekly training volume now?

Last edited by swim2Bfree : 12-03-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2011

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2Bfree View Post
As you discovered, the USMS Open Water forum is probably a better venue for questions like this. Do you have any more specific queries than "what to expect in a 10K"?
what are the ways that people fuel? what kinds of tricks do people use to keep gel packets on their persons?

is it a requirement to have someone pass you fuel or fluid at a station? or are their volunteers that help anyone like at a run race aid station?

what does a typical training progression look like, up to a 10K?

i think i will need a wetsuit - seems like a long time to be in the water without one, even if the water is somewhat warm? what temps have people been able to swim the whole way without wetsuit? what is the max time approximately someone can be swimming in the water w/o a wetsuit before they get uncomfortably cold before the finish line?

Quote:
What is your time for the 4K?
my 4K times have ranged from 1:13 to 1:22. faster times are from ironman swim leg times with wetsuit, slower times from non-wetsuit like at the waikiki rough water swim.

Quote:
What is your weekly training volume now?
at the moment, i am in offseason and only doing about 3X/week drilling TI for about 1000y each session.

thanks for your help!
Old 12-03-2011

swim2Bfree

What is the 10K you're thinking of signing up for?

Quote:
what are the ways that people fuel?
Often 10Ks are loop courses - 4 laps of 2.5K or 5 laps of 2K. Typically at the end of each lap there is a "feeding station" - perhaps a dock or a pontoon boat - where someone can pass you a drink. Sometimes there will be volunteers with small cups of water or gatorade; otherwise it's up to you to have a coach or friend hand you the feed.

Some 10Ks are point-to-point (e.g., the Horsetooth swim in Colorado), in which case you will have your own paddler who will provide your nutrition.

For a 4-loop 10K at your speed I'd aim to take in 100-200 calories per feed, in the form of Gatorade or equivalent higher-end carb drink such as Hammer HEED or 1st Endurance EFS. Fluid intake will depend to some extent on water temperature (warmer water = more fluids).

A liquid-only nutrition plan is most convenient. Gel packs are best consumed with water, anyway. In open-water swimming, stowaway gel packs are primarily useful for elites, who might "miss" a scheduled feed due to tactical circumstances.

Quote:
what kinds of tricks do people use to keep gel packets on their persons?
Stash them in your suit. If you're male, try placing it near the bottom of your jammer leg or near the hip bone for briefs. Leave just a bit of the gel pack material sticking out so you can grab it at your convenience. Can't speak for women's suits.

Quote:
is it a requirement to have someone pass you fuel or fluid at a station? or are their volunteers that help anyone like at a run race aid station?
No, and sometimes (but don't count on it).

Quote:
what does a typical training progression look like, up to a 10K?
There are differing approaches. Given your 4K time, you're probably looking at about a 3.5 hour swim. Can you swim for 3.5 hours in open water without stopping (except for feeds)?

Are you a member of a Masters team? Can you get to 4-5 workouts during the week (assuming 3000-3500m average volume per workout), and then add a longer solo swim on the weekend? If so, you'll probably be in pretty good shape for a 10K.

If you're located in Palo Alto, I highly recommend Stanford Masters.

Quote:
i think i will need a wetsuit - seems like a long time to be in the water without one, even if the water is somewhat warm?
What is the predicted water temp for your target swim? My personal feeling is, a wetsuit should be a last resort.

Quote:
what temps have people been able to swim the whole way without wetsuit?
There's no specific answer to your question. People swim the English Channel (21 miles) quite frequently without wetsuits in the low 60s Fahrenheit. What is the lowest temp ever for a successful 10K w/o wetsuit? Who knows. But a well known swim blogger in CA (www.robaquatics.com) did a 10K on New Years Day 2011 in approx. 53F water temp.

Quote:
what is the max time approximately someone can be swimming in the water w/o a wetsuit before they get uncomfortably cold before the finish line?
Again, there's no good answer to your question. Depends on one's cold water acclimation, body fat, and several other factors.

What I will say is, there are approximately zero organized 10K swims in the U.S. in which the water temp is so low that most people would be forced to wear a wetsuit. In other words, you probably don't need one as much as you think.

Last edited by swim2Bfree : 12-03-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2011

andyinnorway

I read a fascinating book on endurance training called

Slow Burn - By Stu Mittleman, an endurance runner (I think in the book he mentions running 1,000 miles in 9 days). Most of the book focuses on training the body to burn oils rather than sugars to enable steady performance over long endurance events.

It is a very easy to read book and may be of interest to you with regards to your 10K swim training.

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Fast...2904068&sr=8-2
Old 12-03-2011

KatieK

These are a few links for you.

Race report on a 10K swim with aid stations: http://mtheads.typepad.com/10kmarath...rt-part-i.html

Nutrition: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fresh...3/5nn296j6zlU/

Steve Munatones book about Open Water Swimming (on my Christmas list). He recommends a minimum of 3 non-stop swims of at least 60% of the distance. That's for finishing, not for racing. http://www.amazon.com/Open-Water-Swi...2918979&sr=1-1

I'm training for a 10-mile swim in 70-degree water. I'm pretty lean and not very fast (30 minutes/mile), but I'll be fine without a wetsuit. Part of my training includes acclimating to that.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2011

swim2Bfree

I agree - Steven Munatones' book is a good place to start.

As a general principle, for any given long-distance swim (whether 10K or 20 miles) you should aim to swim a significant fraction of the target distance at least a couple of times in training. The reasons for this are both physical and mental. Physically, your body will "adapt" to any stressor (such as a long training swim), making it easier the next time around. Mentally, it gives you confidence that you CAN accomplish the target distance.

Last edited by swim2Bfree : 01-21-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2011

KatieK

For some reason whenever I copy a link for that site from Goggle Reader, it shows up like that. All the other links look normal.
Old 12-04-2011

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
For some reason whenever I copy a link for that site from Goggle Reader, it shows up like that. All the other links look normal.
Special feature for swimmers I suppose... I like it :-))