Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010

Alex-SG
Default Minimum vs. Normal TI Training session...

A few months back I stopped Swimming and doing drills for 1 month. The result of that was an increase in my SPL (Strokes per Lenght) from 15 to 17. It took me 1-2 weeks of training to recover my previous SPL.

So it looks like we need to continue to practice regularly to improve or at least maintain our TI stroke.

I wonder if there is such thing as a "MINIMUM Training Session" to at least maintain the TI stroke and a "NORMAL Training session" that leads to improvement.

Why ask this question?
Some days I have 1 full hour in the pool which allows me to Drill (20 LAPs) + Drill/Swim (8 Laps). I believe this leads to improvement since I can transfer the Drill learning to the Stroke

Some other days on the other hand I come back from work late and I only have 15-20min in the pool. All I can do is Drill 6 LAPs + Drill/Swim 2 Laps.
Is this sufficient for maintenance mode?

QUESTIONS:
a. What do you think is a Minimum Training session just to ensure the body/mind does not "forget"?

b. How about a Normal training session for improvement?

Perhaps if you can answer these questions both in terms of frequency of sessions per week and what goes into each session that would be great. Thanks in advance. ALEX
Old 05-08-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

First, frequency is the more the better. Especially during the earliest phases of each focal point. A famous quote by a classical musician states,"If I miss practice for 1 day I notice. If I miss for 2 days my wife notices. If I miss for 3 days the world notices." And that is after a long career at the top of his world.
Second, if every movement of every practice is done at the level that requires 100% focus, a 20 min session will be useful.

Also, when you are not lucky enough to do that, I have noticed that mindful practice makes the stroke come back very quickly. I, due to a terrible ability to schedule, regularly spend months out of the water and I am lucky if I can get in 2x per week regularly. Every time, the first time back feels awful. The second feels good and the third is back on track.
Old 05-09-2010

Alex-SG

Thanks CoachEric,

So assuming I practice 3 times a week, say MON, WED, FRI (30min per session)

Is it better to:

a. Work on the same focal point/drill for the whole week (EX. Balance with Skating, Superman...) or

b. Have say MON=Balance, WED=Catch/Rotation, FRI=High Elbows+Spearing at an angle

Same question if the practice session is 60min.

Sometimes I do 25 min of mindful swimming focusing on balance, and then spend the last 5min doing Spearswitches (to ensure my body/mind does not forget the drill). I wonder if those 5min are a waste of time or if they help. May be it is best to spend the whole time on Balance?

Thanks. ALEX