Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010

Edd78
Default TI side effects

I juste wanted to share here a few of the side effects I have noticed after a few month of TI training (it's been about 4 month now for me with 3 - 4 practice a week).

Standing tall: I try to correct any slouching in my posture when I walk nowdays (unfortunately I don't think about it as often when sitting and working, because my focus is elsewhere).

Being relaxed: when I start feeling tension in my body (either stress, or muscle fatigue after practice), I take a few "yoga breath" until I feel some relaxation in my body.

Focus: I also run, and I try to switch focus every few minutes, one moment is on my stride, another one on ... feeling relaxed, another oner on having my head straight up (towards the end).

Feel free to share your own thoughts on TI side effects, I'd be glad to read about it.
Old 03-29-2010

just jules
Default side effects or main effects? :)

Hi - I'm also a relative newbie (started TI in December). TI "side effects" I've noticed in me (though I am also coming to consider these effects "on a par" with the improvement in my freestyle stroke and distance/endurance) --

1. Less resentful of other lap swimmers, and more open to learning and sharing - for example, I now find lane sharing to be an opportunity to practice for the possibility of eventual open water swimming. I'm thankful for the more efficient, streamlined speed I can experience, even if I'm still slower than others. I enjoy telling others about TI when they comment on my smooth form.

2. Markedly reduced back pain (pain due to sacroileitis, due to walking "lopsided" for several years, due to MS) - I credit the gentle, even hip rotation of TI freestyle, which I engage in for 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day, about 5 days a week, in an 87-degree pool.

3. Walking more mindfully - very important since I have a walking disability and can also lose my balance easily. Whether I am using a cane or a walker, or merely navigating around my apartment without an "assistive device," I am much more aware of my posture, stride, foot placement with each step, even the use of my arms.

4. Presence and attention "in the moment" - except for necessary planning ahead, I tend to spend less time thinking about future activities or possibilities. I believe this has helped reduce my stress level.

5. Better sitting posture, especially when I'm driving to or from the pool. I think (I hope) I'm becoming a better driver too - more aware of my speed, more attentive to my actions (more careful and gracious), and less judgmental of other drivers.

6. More "realistic optimism" for the future - even with MS, I can experience "continuous improvement" (in many areas of life) with focus, mindful practice, and input from other people.
Old 04-08-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Increased relaxation

Increased productivity

10 lb + weight loss
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle