Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Olympics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012

azamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
For me swimming is about enjoyment not about performance/endurance/power/speed/etc It's about "being", not "performing"/"training". Generally, I pursue "being"/mindfulness, and from that the "learning" and "training" emerge (when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear). I even walk mindfully! What a complex thing walking is!! Like the ad that came with the vid says: "When exercise is a pleasure, fitness is easy". When you dance for joy you want to go on forever, until you drop from tiredness, or until the tiredness sucks out the joy of movement. Great for your body and for your spirit. So, I just love the way "good" swimmers move: like dancers, like cats; seemingly effortlessly, lazily. When I downloaded the churningly powerful olympic Youtube videos (and others) recommended here I slowed them down to 1/8th speed. THEN they look cool, like Shinji ))))
Beautiful statement! We are in the same boat Talvi, that's exactly how I pursue my goal of becoming a better swimmer. Enjoyment and mindfulness is priority no 1.

Quote:
Better technique translates into better efficiency ie more speed for the same power. However any technique can deliver more performance simply by adding more power. Of course I'd love to have the power of youth with the potential of age, but being "goal oriented" is problematic. There's a great story my Tai Chi teacher passed on that goes like this:

A student comes to the master and says: "I am eager to learn the Tai Chi. How long will it take me?". The master replies: "Ten years". The student, disappointed, asks: "How long will it take me if I practice twice as hard?". The master replies "Twenty years.". The student asks again: "I am eager to learn. How long will it take if I practice day and night, never taking time off?". The master replies "Thirty years.". Confused by this the student asks: "How is it possible that the harder I practice the longer it will take me?". The master replies: "If you have one eye on your goal, you have only one eye for your practice.".

I find that as I get older this lesson becomes more and more important to reconcile oneself to.
What an insightful and scholarly post is that one. Thank you
Old 09-30-2012

Talvi
Default ^_^

encouraged by kindness, I'll recklessly venture some more words onto the table, like a gambler on a roll ...

I've been gazing (again!) on the Shinji vid, and it reminded me of the way cats walk across wet ground! I tried to find a YouTube video to illustrate the point but failed to find anything good. I think that anyone who has watched a cat getting its paws wet may be able to relate to the thought though.

A cat places it's front paws down on the ground, almost gingerly, deliberately, carefully. When the ground is wet they lift each paw up, with some distaste, shaking the presumptuous water off with a twitch, before reaching forward and placing them down again. That's what I saw Shinji doing: lifting his arm and shoulder disdainfully clear of the clingy water, before carefully reaching forward to slip it down under the surface again. There seems to me to almost be a pause after his arm exits vertically from the surface. Time for that pesky water to drain off!

Edit:
Stumbled on an Ian Thorpe video that shows the striking difference in this hand entry between "normal" and "TI" . I think I also pinned down the pause in Shinji's out-of-water arm movement. It's just before his hand enters the water. His hand pauses only for a fraction of a second, but it stays about 10cm over the water just for a moment before slipping in. he looks almost as if he's picking his spot. It really does look just like a cat!

This is the Thorpe video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2b1Fiw9uekM

Last edited by Talvi : 09-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2012

azamy
Thumbs up

Quote:
encouraged by kindness, I'll recklessly venture some more words onto the table, like a gambler on a roll ...

I've been gazing (again!) on the Shinji vid, and it reminded me of the way cats walk across wet ground! I tried to find a YouTube video to illustrate the point but failed to find anything good. I think that anyone who has watched a cat getting its paws wet may be able to relate to the thought though.

A cat places it's front paws down on the ground, almost gingerly, deliberately, carefully. When the ground is wet they lift each paw up, with some distaste, shaking the presumptuous water off with a twitch, before reaching forward and placing them down again. That's what I saw Shinji doing: lifting his arm and shoulder disdainfully clear of the clingy water, before carefully reaching forward to slip it down under the surface again. There seems to me to almost be a pause after his arm exits vertically from the surface. Time for that pesky water to drain off!

Edit:
Stumbled on an Ian Thorpe video that shows the striking difference in this hand entry between "normal" and "TI" . I think I also pinned down the pause in Shinji's out-of-water arm movement. It's just before his hand enters the water. His hand pauses only for a fraction of a second, but it stays about 10cm over the water just for a moment before slipping in. he looks almost as if he's picking his spot. It really does look just like a cat!

This is the Thorpe video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2b1Fiw9uekM
The only thing missing on TI forums is a "Like" button
Old 10-01-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamy View Post
The only thing missing on TI forums is a "Like" button
That feature is available for this board though (vbulletin). It'd be awesome indeed.
Old 08-14-2017
JakeCosby

Ian Thorpe's technique is flawless!
Old 11-25-2017
Joniantrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCosby View Post
Ian Thorpe's technique is flawless!
That is why he is a champion