Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2016

caronis
Default Waterproof iPhone as Music Swim Player

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on the best device available for listening to music while swimming laps?
I'm curious about how the new iPhone will figure into this because it doesn't have a headphone jack....I believe they're making it waterproof...
Any Apple Folks out there, please chime in...

Also....I've never listened to music while swimming before. I'm curious about other people's experiences...
I would think that if you listen to music which has a beat that matches your ideal stroke rate, it would work well as a substitute for a swim metronome....
Old 09-20-2016

WFEGb

Hello caronis,

Quote:
Also....I've never listened to music while swimming before. I'm curious about other people's experiences...
I would think that if you listen to music which has a beat that matches your ideal stroke rate, it would work well as a substitute for a swim metronome....

You might have a look/search at the posts of Andyinnorway. Some time ago he did some experiments with music... and music-hints...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 09-20-2016

caronis

Can anyone provide me with some links?

I looked at a list of AndyInNorway's threads, but couldn't figure out which ones to choose!....It's like a smorgasbord of swim subjects!
Old 09-21-2016

sojomojo has disabled reputation

I’ve got no experience with using an iPhone as a swimming music player, but my first thought was that it’s simply too big and too heavy to attach to a swim goggle strap.

The wireless headphone feature of the new iPhone might have some possibilities. You could swim with waterproof wireless headphones (expensive) with your iPhone on the swim deck, but I’m not sure of the wireless range or if reception underwater is feasible. I‘d also be uncomfortable leaving an iPhone unattended.

The most highly rated MP3 swim player is the FINIS Duo Underwater MP3 player http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/finis-du...sion)-8139404/ . It’s on my “wish list”, but I just have a hard time justify buying one that I can only use while swimming.

Over the past couple of years, I’ve purchased several "waterproof MP3 players" from eBay. They’re shipped from China and they’re relatively cheap (less than US$20 for 8GB). I use them mostly for running and doing other exercises. Since they’re waterproof, my sweat won’t kill it. I’ve also used it in the sauna, Jacuzzi, and swimming pool.

There is a waterproof after-market Apple iPod Shuffle. It's expensive with a meager 2GB memory. Someone that I know bought one and it died after less than eight months.

The cheap eBay waterproof MP3 players come with waterproof earbuds, but they’re uncomfortable to wear and useless for competitive swimming since water pressure will push it out and off the ear. They might work if you swim with your head above the water.

There are waterproof swim earbuds designed for swimming. The best ones are those that come with a “custom” fit for your ear, but they’re expensive. There are several “Christmas tree” style earbuds that are cheaper and somewhat effective, but they have a short life expectancy (three to four months).

From my experience, the “Holy Grail” is finding a waterproof earbuds that’s suitable for competitive swim strokes that won’t bankrupt you and will last more than a few months. Water and pool chemicals are the enemy of electronics. If there’s a weakness in the waterproof seal, water will always find its way in to ruin it.

Listening to music while swimming has its benefits. I found myself swimming longer whenever I listened to music. When my waterproof earbuds died this summer, I dreaded doing those long swim laps.

I haven’t replaced my waterproof earbuds, but the MUSA Waterproof Earphone Headband http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/musa-wat...385/?color=207 looks interesting to me in that it has the “Christmas tree” style earbuds, a headband to keep it secure, and it’s not too expensive. If I decide to buy it, I’ll update this post.
Old 03-01-2018
swimmers96

Default These is where I found my headphones and ipod

I wouldn't recommend you use your iPhone as a swimming mp3 player because it was not meant to perform that task. However, I personally use the swimbuds and ipod shuffle I found on this website http://soundpatron.com/best-waterpro...-for-swimming/ They have other great options listed for waterproof headphones for swimming as well as mp3s
Old 03-08-2018

jgrant9411
Default Music swim player

I use the H2O Audio case that holds my little iPod. For $99 you can't beat it. Never had a problem with it and I've recommended them to a lot of people. However, if I'm working on my stroke, or focusing on my mechanics, I take it off. I find using the tempo timer keeps me focused on what I'm there for. That said, for warm ups and cool downs, or practicing my egg beater to tread water its perfect.
All the best
Old 03-13-2018
bradleyknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronis View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on the best device available for listening to music while swimming laps?
I'm curious about how the new iPhone will figure into this because it doesn't have a headphone jack....I believe they're making it waterproof...
Any Apple Folks out there, please chime in...

I think, you use any device with protection.
Old 03-13-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyknight View Post
I think, you use any device with protection.
I think the tiny square ipod (shuffle?) is actually taken apart and waterproofed inside by some company and you buy it direct from them it needs no protection and is so small it clips to the back of your goggle strap then you use swimbuds earphones with it.

It usually comes out top rated in surveys
Old 03-13-2018
Mushroomfloat

Underwater Audio is the company

here:
https://www.underwateraudio.com/wate...-ipod-shuffle/
Old 06-19-2018
andysmith1977

Default I use SoundWhiz ones

I am able to swim to music, makes it much more enjoyable in my experience when doing long sets.
The SoundWhiz model were recommended to me via https://www.headphonesbuyer.com/best...th-headphones/
Other models on there but the Bragi ones were very expensive and so preferred the budget SoundWhiz.