FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2016

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Coach Suzanne

Just a few questions regarding your practice
5) head stays stable in q3 breathing
Also in note 5 what do you mean q3 breathing?

Sherry
Hi Sherry
I think Suzanne slipped into Dr mode. My guess is that she means "breathing every third stroke" or "alternate breathing".
Old 02-09-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Hi Sherry
I think Suzanne slipped into Dr mode. My guess is that she means "breathing every third stroke" or "alternate breathing".
YEs, sorry I forgot to reply to that. Doctor speak. For example, q2 call...call every other day (those were the glory days!)

q3 is every 3rd stroke
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-09-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne
Default Swim #2 - Tempo based data collectoin

Today was swim #2 in my my mini project, I still feel like I am collecting and triangulating data, especially as this set was not "fun", and felt stressful...I have eliminated a group of tempos that are not working for me right now.

Amazing how the body is always changing. 5 years ago these tempos would have felt fast, although times would not be much different and maybe a hair faster. it's interesting to me to see how strength vs finesse & flow play into the metrics.

10x100 Assessement Set using a tempo, 25SCY, JCC Squirrel Hill 02/09/2016

Tuneup 5 x 100 of breathing focuses & breathing drills

Main: 10 x 100 using tempo & collecting SPL (bonus for 11x 100)
1.15-1.17-1.19-1.21-1.23-1.20-1.17-1.14-1.11-1.08-1.05

CD: 25BR, 25elementary BK + 100 Easy free @ loose tempo (20spl)

Practice Notes:
tuneup focuses included
-nodding followed by breathing
-skate + nod drills (25SK, 25FR nod/breath right, 25FR nod/breath left, 25 FR breath q3)
-swing switch to nod/breath drills (same & opposite side), similar progression as above
-100FR with breathing focus by 25s: breath towards right arm, breath towards left arm, breath away from left arm, breath away from right arm
-Breathing by 25 q4, q3, q3, q2

This final one prepped me with a snappier tempo for the main set. In the future if starting with a faster tempo for the main set I'd do a mini task prior to continue the tuneup & warmup the faster twitch recovery muscles, but I'm still not confident i've got the fitness for more than a mile session ata time.

Main Set:
Nearly identical times throughout entire set of 1:42-1:43
Tempo did not fee fast to start with like I expected and quickly felt very slow. Effort quickly climbed as tempo dropped. I never quite got down to 16 spl although many of the 17s at the slower tempos were 16.5 strokes. I did all open turns, so counted +1 strokes if I glided into the turn.

Rest intervals ended up being about 1 minute including time to make notes & change the tempo trainer and get ready to go again.

the whole set until the final 2 @ 1.08 & 1.05 I felt stressed physically...not necessarily tired, but strained. I wasn't artifically trying to keep SPL down, just trying to not lose core control or alignment coming off the walls.

I did note that my left sided breathing, which is the trouble side now seems to be tied to my rotation to that side. I think I am under-rotating, which accounts for it being significantly more strain than the right side. I tried underrotating to the right side and sure enough, I felt similar strain there.

So...still learning, still gaining fitness, still collecting data.

My next practice will be SPL based in groups of 50s. After this swim, I think I'll try doing rounds of 4x50s of 17SPL, 18SPL, 19SPL & 20SPL for 5 sets total. maybe the middle set I'll try 17-18, 18-19, 19-20, 20-21. With that practice I will still just be swimming for one metric (not two) and paying attention to the focal points i've identified so far. And mostly trying not to hurt myself. My neck is a little tender after this swim.

So many intersting things to learn!

Last thing...total swim time for this minus rest is about 17:10
Total swim time for the initial 5 x 200 was about 17:56

I think I can even better on rounds of 50s without the tempo trainer "restriction" and further narrow down my swim.

Tempos SPLs/25 Effort
1.15 17-17-18-18 5/10
1.17 17-17-17-18 6/10
1.19 17-17-18-18 6/10
1.21 17-17-17-18 7/10
1.23 17-17-17-17 7/10
1.20 17-17-18-18 8/10
1.17 17-17-18-18 8/10 <--getting very tired and looking forward to faster tempos/less strain
1.14 18-18-18-18 7/10
1.11 18-18-18-19 7/10
1.08 19-19-19-20 7/10
1.05 20-20-20-20 6-7/10
Fresh Freestyle

Last edited by CoachSuzanne : 02-09-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2016

Zenturtle

Must have been quite an unlucky crash being out of the running so long.
As long as the wiring is still in place, improving fitness will happen a lot faster than previous technique and fitness improvements combined, so you are in for a steep improvement curve probably.
Thats at least motivating.
Have a nice swimjourney!
Old 02-09-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Must have been quite an unlucky crash being out of the running so long.
As long as the wiring is still in place, improving fitness will happen a lot faster than previous technique and fitness improvements combined, so you are in for a steep improvement curve probably.
Thats at least motivating.
Have a nice swimjourney!
Thank you muchly! I'm impressed with how well the first assessment went, and not surprised today was stressful since i took a guess at my tempos. I think less strength leads to higher tempos (for me), and I'm fine with that. As you say, fitness will return quickly. I'm excited.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-10-2016

WFEGb

Hello Suzanne,

Quote:
...interesting to me to see how strength vs finesse & flow play into the metrics.
How you can differ from the other one? Or is it confidence to your individual well known body sensations? (Not everyone has :-( )

Quote:
I think less strength leads to higher tempos (for me), and I'm fine with that.
Nearly the same question: Is it individual experience or a transferable/teachable skill. (Think TI tries to point to in many ways, but if this is a low hanging fruit, I'd like to grap it... Groan...Yes, I'm Aware, we talk about swimming... )

Best regards,
Werner
Old 02-10-2016

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBillGreentree View Post
Well now is a heck of time to tell you this, but when I first started TI (long before becoming a coach) the VW bug bumper analogy just never made sense to me. See, there's hope for all the others with the same literal impaired functioning disorder. ;)

Good to see you're out tearing up the pool again. :)
Personally I liked the ball of water under the arm better

Sherry
Old 02-10-2016

jenson1a
Default Practice Formats

These practice formats are really great. Well planned and thought out.

Looking forward to tomorrow's posting.

Sherry
Old 02-13-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Suzanne,

How you can differ from the other one? Or is it confidence to your individual well known body sensations? (Not everyone has :-( )

Nearly the same question: Is it individual experience or a transferable/teachable skill. (Think TI tries to point to in many ways, but if this is a low hanging fruit, I'd like to grap it... Groan...Yes, I'm Aware, we talk about swimming... )

Best regards,
Werner
i think for me this is my personal experience. 6 years ago, swimming at a tempo of 1.3 for 16 SPL felt good and I could do it all day and all night...I even practiced hitting 15 SPL at that tempo. It takes a lot of strength and resilient shoulders to do that when you're 5'3" tall.

One time I swam a 1:30 100yd at a 1.3 tempo, which requires 14 SPL and a good pushoff. I "bonked" after that 90 second effort and that was the only swimming I could do for the day.

On the other side, at faster tempos, 4-5 years ago 1.15 felt fast and if I could hold 19 SPL at 1.15 sec/stroke, I felt like I was flying.

Now that tempo feels slow to me and while I can hit 16 SPL or even 15, currently it's ony when I am fresh because otherwise I just feel like I'm losing balance.

I'm happy tou "allow" 1-2 higher SPL than I did several years ago for a few reasons, but one of them being that I'm not as strong or young as I was then (but plan to quickly regain all of that stregth and more), and the lighter effort/higher gear is just easier on me.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-13-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

So todays swim was fantastic. I've been noting some difficulty with left side breathing, which is causing some neck pain. I discussed it with my chiropractor today as I thought I had injured (or misadjusted) my spine from my last swim. It was very strenuous and for the past 3 days my low back, midback and neck have all been in discomfort with spasm and lots of bones "popping" in my spine.

He was completely fine with it all and suggested instead that as my body is getting better able to perform, it's easier for it to find it's current limits as far as higher levels of movement. In otherwords 6 months ago when I was simply moving in the water and swimming no more than 500 yards, it was good just to move and float. Now that I'm trying performance based sets, i'm discovering areas that need work, rather than just getting a resistance workout.

So todays focus was on body rotation to the left in order to improve my left side breathing. With the help of Coach Dinah Mistillis, she suggested 1 armed swimming with the right arm, left arm at my side, breathing to the left. This would force me to rotate my body to get air. We also discussed doing closed fist swimming with the right arm to further require my core to get involved.

That was the skill part the set...my Kaizen opportunities.

The fitness/metrics part of the set was 5 x 4 x 50. Based on the last 2 swims I decided to do these by ascending stroke counts...50 as 17-17, the next 50 as 18-18, then 19-19 & 20-20. I wanted to see if I could calibrate my stroking, and if I could maintain the left sided rotation, thats a bonus! I expected to see descending times within each group of 4 x 50 as well.

Here's the whole set & summary:

5 x [4 x 50] SCY, JCC Squirrel Hill 02/12/14 1650yds (SPL Calibration)

Tuneup:
4 x 75 as 25 one armed swimming with right (breath left) + 25 one armed fist swimming right (breath left) + 25 Swim (breath left)
4 x 50 Calibrating SPL before main set

Main Set:
5 x [4 x 50] by SPL in each round:
17-17
18-18
19-19
20-20

Cooldown:
100IM Easy (did FL, BR, FR, FR since the pool was crowded & wanted to avoid back)
50 FREE Easy

Practice Notes:
Many good insights from the one armed swimming (left arm at side) and breathing to the left, including
-sensation of "opening the door" to the left with my hips. when I did this and followed with my chin & shoulder (nearly simultaneously) there was no strain and a perfect bow wave to the left.

What's odd is it FELT like I was totally overrotated, but there was no indication this was the case. I think the small change from my "usual" rotation pattern made it feel significant.

4 x 50 calibration...I pretty much nailed this, which was surprising ,but made me feel good about the upcoming main set. times descended from about 56 to 49sec per 50.

Main Set: Here's the good stuff. The first 3 sets were nearly spotless in terms of hitting my SPL, perhaps off by 1/2 a stroke, esp on the first or second length of the first 50. Times descended with each ,but not always as much as I would have liked. Often the 19/19 & 20/20 were within .5 seconds of each other, and I would have expected more change.

I noticed in the 4th set of 50s that it became challenging to nail the SPLs and also challenging to get all my body synergized to "open the door" to the left side breathing...but it was doable.

I considered terminating the set there, but I decided to gift myself an extra SPL for the 5th set of 50s, (starting at 18SPL and ending at 21)...but it actually ended up starting at 19 & ending at 22 SPL.

Cooldown was uneventful but felt fine.

Overall I am very pleased with this set and how the descents went and how closely I hit my stroke count targets, which were originally decided byased on my first 2 swims in this improvement project.

Here are the actual times:
Tuneup 4 x 50 on 1 min:

SPL Time Pace/100yd
17-17 0:57.5 1:55
18-18 0:53.2 1:46
19-19 0:50.8 1:42
20-20 0:49.1 1:38

Main Set
5 sets 4 x 50 on 1min, 1 min between rounds
SPL targets 17-17, 18-18, 19-19, 20-20

Time / 50 Pace /100
Round 1
53.9 1:48
51.0 1:42
50.8 1:42
49.1 1:38

Round 2
53.9 1:48
53.2 1:46
50.0 1:40
48.2 1:36

Round 3
53.0 1:46
50.7 1:41
49.6 1:39
48.3 1:37

Round 4
51.1 1:42 <- 18s
49.5 1:39 <-19s (too fast)
50.3 1:41 <-next 2 struggling to get SPL right
49.5 1:39

Round 5
50.6 1:41 <-allowed 1 more stroke per length each round, turned into 2
50.3 1:41
48.8 1:38
49.9 1:40

Summary:
Great exercise in pace control ,calibration, focal point swimming, kaizen skills. about 15-20% of my left sided breaths were effortless.
Fresh Freestyle