Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2016

jenson1a

Just a question. When you set the TT at .78, does that mean you have a hand entry at every beat? I know that several years ago you said you would set the TT at a very fast rate, but only had a hand entry at every other beat (2 strokes per beat) or even 3

I'm struggling to get the TT down further than 1:30, so I am in awe of the settings you do

Sherry
Old 01-11-2016

andyinnorway

Hi Sherry,

I've have done a lot of work over the last 6 months on my ability to hold stroke length at increasing cadences.

I find it helps to not expect a whole length of symmetrical stroke rate when initially extending the limits.

For example today I was trying to get my body used to stroking at tt0.63 which is 95 strokes a minute.

If I attempt a whole length, even with head down in a single breath I'd still lose sync with my beeper but if I swim

3 beep push off
6 head down strokes with double beep on stroke 5 (effectively turning the last stroke before breath into a lope)

I can hold 19-20 SPL and maintain sync with the TT.

Once I'm successful at that I might try to add a second burst of high cadence before another lope stroke...eventually I can swim a whole length at a new target stroke rate.

Typically I know I can keep in sync with the tempo trainer for a whole length once I get the feeling that I can find some glide within the stroke timing, even if it's for a very small amount of time.
Old 01-11-2016

andyinnorway

Monday 11 Jan 2016

Warm up4x100 1:40 pace off 2:00

I managed this but if felt a bit puffier than the last few times

4x100m 1:30 pace

I'm still searching to make this pace feel comfortable enough to swim 2:00 repeats. I wasn't there today. At 17SPL full lope I needed around 75s to recover.

tt0.63 max cadence testing at 50mPB pace

This went better I was able to swim my front 25m in 17s flat but wasn't quite far enough ahead of the beep to get my feet on the wall post turn in that time.

I also noticed today that I've developed the habit of holding my feet on the wall for a whole beep instead of touch and go so I'll do some specific turn practice to stop that.

I then did a few 12-13SPL stretch lengths and got out feeling I'd made the most of the session, despite perhaps carrying a bit of fatigue from the day before.
Old 01-12-2016

andyinnorway
Default Body Weak - Mind Strong

Tues 12th January 2016

Warm up - reduced effort today as slightly fatigued still

4x100 with 20s rest @1:50 pace swum as

free breathe right
free breathe left
free breathe right
Breast Stroke

I took this a bit easy but also wanted to do some left side breathing as I've done a lot of right only lately due to sprint sets.

The ever so simple set

Line ups at increasing speed.

Since I was feeling mentally sharp and physically average I devised a set that needed keen focus but not too taxing on the body.

40 minutes of:-

One stroke pattern 26 beeps per length 17SPL
3 beep push off
4 head down strokes (with double on 3) 20 beeps
3 beep stroke and turn

Every time I swam 2 lengths ahead of this target I clicked the tempo trainer down .01

In the middle Jason asked me to do some 50's with him which I did at the setting of 0.72 which is where I had got to. I held stroke count on these too for a bonus 4 points on my sub 40s 50 target.

He had a shock as he had SPL25 and 50 times of 43-45
I had SPL of 17 and 39s 50's every repeat.

I think he's starting to get the idea of mindful swimming?

I had 10 minutes left so accelerated the click downs.

I finished with some successful lengths on TT0.65 and and even 2 0.63's at the end, so very happy with my decision to do line ups.

I'm going to repeat this tomorrow, leaving line ups as a secondary thought and adding quick snap as a primary focus.
Old 01-13-2016

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Hi Sherry,

I've have done a lot of work over the last 6 months on my ability to hold stroke length at increasing cadences.

I find it helps to not expect a whole length of symmetrical stroke rate when initially extending the limits.

For example today I was trying to get my body used to stroking at tt0.63 which is 95 strokes a minute.

If I attempt a whole length, even with head down in a single breath I'd still lose sync with my beeper but if I swim

3 beep push off
6 head down strokes with double beep on stroke 5 (effectively turning the last stroke before breath into a lope)

I can hold 19-20 SPL and maintain sync with the TT.

Once I'm successful at that I might try to add a second burst of high cadence before another lope stroke...eventually I can swim a whole length at a new target stroke rate.

Typically I know I can keep in sync with the tempo trainer for a whole length once I get the feeling that I can find some glide within the stroke timing, even if it's for a very small amount of time.
Andy--Question on the following--just to clarify what you are saying
The 3 beep push off 6 head strokes with double beep on stroke 5--do you then stop or then do you repeat the same sequence?

This is an interesting way to practice increasing TT settings.

Not sure what your occupation is, but you would make a great teacher (or swim coach)!!

Sherry
Old 01-13-2016

andyinnorway

Both!!

If it's really extreme which for me would be anything around 120 strokes a minute, I'll just try to do 8 head down strokes with the beeper, breathe and plod home on a double beat or something.

If it's on the edge of a paced swim (even if that pace is 25m sprint), then I'll complete the length.

My favourite is to find stroke patterns that have 4 sections in them so I can measure my progress against the 5m markers in the bottom of the pool

Push off - see eyes go past 5m mark
end of sections 1 - comfortably past 10m mark
end of section 2 - stay ahead 15m mark
end of section 3 - aim to be on the 20m mark
end of section 4 - approaching the wall
final stroke(s) and turn

so my typical sprint metric at the moment is

3 beep push off
4 strokes in 5 beeps (double on 3rd stroke with long glide)
4 beep stroke turn feet on the wall.

By playing with the tempo settings and shaving a beep in the final stroke section I can test different precise time intervals per length

e.g. tt0.65 with 26 beeps per length (16.9s) compared to tt0.63 with 27 beeps per length (17.01)
Old 01-13-2016

andyinnorway

Wed 13th Jan with Stuart

Warm up

4x100 at 1:40 off 2:00

Felt good straight away today.

Happy hundreds

6x100 1:30 off 2:30

Same stroke pattern as warm up just faster stroke rate. I could have had less rest but Stuart wanted to keep to 60s

Line ups

I brought Stuart a TT to try so we started at 0.8 and did line ups as yestyerday

I had lots of control and power with my sprint stroke today. I was better at slower cadence today. I think my sub 34s 50 may come from a stroke save rather than faster strokes based on today.

4x50 under 40s

Big geared this today tt0.7 54 beeps. =37.8 but i was 2-3 beeps ahead.

great enjoyable session today
Old 01-14-2016

jenson1a

Andy

Thank you for the detailed clarification

Sherry
Old 01-14-2016

andyinnorway

Thu 14 Jan

Warm up
1km split 100-200-300-400 @1:40 pace 1 minute rest

I was aching today after a full day's labouring yesterday (Avacado bathroom suite removal - a uk classic) and my first 100 was a struggle. Luckily Jason was in the pool and doing 4x400 so I used his draft to complete my other intervals. It's so relaxing following someone else' pace.

Speed work

4321 @1:20 pace

I've had a 5 year goal to swim 75m in under a minute. Today I managed a 58.8 during this set, 4 weeks before my 5th anniversary of starting TI.

I've got a sub 1:20 100 in me now, just need to go for it.

A short 40 minute set but a good one.
Old 01-15-2016

andyinnorway
Default A day with a PB is a happy day.

15 Jan 2016

Warm up 10x50 with double flip turn 50s off 1:10

100m pb chasing

I have 4 stroke patterns that I like for paced swimming - they all have a pace oxygen debt pay off in this order highest pace first

1. full symmetry stroke
2. 4 head down strokes with double beep on the 3rd
3. 4 head down strokes 2 lopes
4. full lope

I tested some 25's and 50's at various tempos and stroke patterns and decided on tt0.7 for ease of mental arithmetic in the pool.

I settled on stroke pattern 3 up and stroke pattern 4 down as 3 tends to be 27 beeps and 4 30.

Target 114 beeps@tt0.7=1:19.8 100m pb

I did a few 50's on the beep then went for the 100.

I missed the turn on the 2nd length (1 beep penalty) and was late to the turn on the 3rd length (2 beep penalty) but I held stroke count otherwise for a result of 117 beeps.

100m 1:21.9

a 3s PB. Great Swim :)