Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009

annemusic
Default I need some suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid having your goggles fog up? I have tried just about EVERY swim goggle on the market. In addition, I have used the anti-fog spray on my goggles. Nothing seems to work. After swimming for 10 minutes, my goggles always fog up. I don't know how I am going to swim a mile in open water for my triathlon when my goggles keep fogging. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
HELP!!! Anne
Old 08-02-2009

lvigrd
Default fogging goggles

Wow, I can't think of a better question. I am in the exact same boat. I've spent about $150 in various goggles (they don't leak), I've tried the spray and the aqua sphere drops, I've tried saliva, colgate toothpaste, and no matter what I also get completely fogged within 1/4 mile. I've put them on completely dry. I've had makeup on and no makeup at times. And still they fog. I did a tri last weekend with 1/2 mile swim and could barely see the buoys in the distance. I also don't know how I'll see to get through my mile swim in my oly tri next month, so I am definitely hoping someone has some good suggestions. Thanks. Laura
Old 08-02-2009

mailtonataraj
Default Fogging

I did have problems with goggles getting fogged. One solution i saw from the web and ofcourse very useful is to use Liquid cleaner used in kitchen for vessels. Smear a drop and spread it evenly in the goggles and rinse it throughly. It works for atleast 1 hr of continuos use in pool and it doest fog till then.
Old 08-02-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I've had great results with the Aqua Sphere anti-fog solution on my Seal Mask goggles. Just a couple of drops on each goggle, rub it around with my finger, then rinse. Rinsing well is important. Once I neglected to do so before a 3K race. About 400m into the race one eye began to sting. Before long I couldn't see out of that eye and it remained irritated for a couple of months after.

I've also had great results with toothpaste and baby shampoo. No fogging at all, even while swimming round Manhattan for 8 and 9 hours.

Occasionally I'll smear toothpaste on the goggle before leaving for the lake so it's on there for 30 min before I rinse it off.

You're putting the solution, etc. on the inside, right?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 08-02-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

The basic chemistry is that the inside of the goggle must be totally free of minerals. I like the baby shampoo because is does not cause the eye issues Terry described (thanks to Brian VDK for that one). It takes a fair amount of scrubbing and a lot of rinsing to get all the minerals out. Goggles fog for the same reason our hair gets bad in chlorine. And we all know how hard it is to get all the chlorine smell and dryness out of our skin and hair. Another interesting trick which I have not yet tried is to rinse goggles really well in distilled water after every swim (before they have a chance to dry). Distilled water removes the minerals better. If they dry first, they are set and much harder to clean.
Old 08-02-2009

annemusic

Thank you all for your suggestions..I will give them all a try. And yes, Terry, I did put the anti-fog solution on the inside of my goggles. On another note, for all of you first time Tri swimmers, like myself..I went to Terry's open water camp at Maho Bay. For someone who couldn't swim a few lengths without getting out of breath, I now swim over a mile in all of my workouts and am not the least bit fatigued. I may not go fast, but I can go on forever!! This technique really does work!
Old 08-02-2009

Rhoda

If you're out in the water far from shore and your goggles fog up, a little saliva works wonders. Just lick the tip of your finger and smear it on.
Old 08-03-2009

ayesr
Default Use eyelash, dive to cooler climes

I have noted the following, to provide temporary relief for fogging:

a. press your goggles close to your eyelash and blink several times untile it clears,

b. go dive into cooler water level, if any, cool off a few seconds until fogging disappears,

Hope it works for you....

End.
Old 08-03-2009

RadSwim

From my SCUBA experience:
1. Make sure you degrease your goggles with detergent, I use Dawn liquid.
2. 500 psi gel is non-toxic and very effective, I use it every swim. It is available through SCUBA shops and online retailers. A 2 oz. bottle lasts about 1 year.
Clark
Old 08-03-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Cool

I use "Cat Crap" anti-fog wax. (There is also a spray version now.) Wipe it on, let it haze over, then polish it off. It works OK for a few uses. As long as I stay in the pool and leave the goggles in place they don't fog up much. However, scratches are more likely to occur due to the rubbing during application.

Recently I ordered JAWS "Quick Spit." It comes in a spray bottle. Spray, rinse, and go. I haven't received it yet, but I'm curious about one thing: Could I do the spray and rinse part, let the goggles sit and dry for a few days, then go?

I really love the catchy name and the vibrant container of Cat Crap: http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...1/CatCrap3.jpg

Here's the Quick Spit: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/6788.htm