Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Discuss Terry's Blog Posts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009

Mike from NS
Default Swimming up-stream in jello like water (or hair gel)!

The circ pump cause of the heavy water phenomena is a good one - I think. (Just like the Endless Pool I expect.) I'll check out where their inlet and outlets are. I know there are some jets around the ends and sides and I have blamed them for my lack of directional control. And the rain changing the viscosity may be valid to some extent too. But I'm glad to find I'm not alone in noticing different conditions. I was thinking my feelings were brought on due to a tiredness of some level.

I haven't had dreams of setting gel or empty pools but I have dreamed of a time when all the water drained from Bedford Basin (behind the pool in the photo) and I was able to find my lost boat moorings as I walked around the "muddy" sea floor. I think this dream was after reading the National Geographic article on the Dead Sea years ago.
Old 07-15-2009

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshegg View Post
Yes! That's another thing I have noticed, if I happen to be swimming in the lane that has the jet blasting the water into the pool, the force of the jet in my face can practically bring me to a standstill as I'm approaching the wall. It's like swimming upstream.

Which begs yet another question, has anyone else noticed that swimming in one direction often feels different from swimming back in the other direction?

And speaking of dreams, I have a recurring one where I'm swimming and there's no water in the pool at all. I'm basically dragging myself forward along the concrete floor of the pool. Any interpretations?
Ha ha! I've frequently had a very similar dream! Only I do get allowed a little water, about a foot at most. No idea what it means, but I'm told that a dream is a message from yourself to yourself, so your interpretation may vary. We could start a whole thread about swimming dreams.
I've experience the pump jet current very strongly in one particular pool. I always joke that the pool is slanted and I'm swimming "uphill" when I'm going into the current. It's good practice for open water, I guess. What I notice is that the current pushes my upper body up which causes my legs to drop. If I make an effort to press my chest down a little more, I can almost equal the stroke count I get from going "downhill".
Old 09-14-2009

ynotcat

I usually swim in the ocean, so when I do swim in a pool, it does feel really different (worse). I think this is because salt water has more buoyancy, so my hips ride higher in salt water. There is one 50 m public pool that I go to once in a while, and I always feel really slow and inefficient in this pool, much worse than any other pool I have tried. This particular pool is much deeper than most others, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 09-15-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotcat View Post
. This particular pool is much deeper than most others, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Nope, the depth has nothing to do with it .

Dave