Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Discuss Terry's Blog Posts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009

Mike from NS
Default Heavy Water ???

I'm not sure where to best ask this question and thought this may be the best conference for a strange question.

Saturday was the first day fit for swimming in the community outdoor pool. Sunny and hot - just ask anyone who went to the Paul McCartney concert in Halifax. It rained most of June!!

The water was lovely and not too warm ... maybe 82 or 83F at noon time. Yesterday afternoon at 4pm my wife and I were back to the pool. The water was cooler at 81F and a cool wind was blowing. However it seemed difficult to get any speed - so to speak. It was like when ice skating with high humidity. It takes more effort to skate and the ice is said to be "heavy". So has anyone felt the water for swimming to be "heavy" at times? I mentioned to my wife how I felt achieving any speed was difficult and she too felt this and said the water felt "heavy". Any comments? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2009

Rhoda

Could be the wind was creating a current. Or perhaps your bodies weren't as fluid and relaxed as when your muscles were warmer. The water molecules would be a little closer together when cold, but 3 or 4 degrees wouldn't make a huge difference in that.
On weekends I try to do a long session in a 50 meter chlorine pool. Compared to the salt water pools I normally swim in, the water feels "thin", and not in a good way. I want it to feel a little thicker when I'm making my catch.
Old 07-13-2009

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
... Or perhaps your bodies weren't as fluid and relaxed as when your muscles were warmer. The water molecules would be a little closer together when cold, but 3 or 4 degrees wouldn't make a huge difference in that.
Thanks for your reply Rhoda.

I agree a 3 or 4 degree difference shouldn't make a difference and I don't think the wind there was would have had that much of an effect. I think, as you suggest, possibly cold muscles or maybe a bit of tiredness may have brought on the feeling of "heavy" water. It just seemed like such a greater effort to gain motion than at other times. I wondered if others had noticed such a phenomenon- and the cause.

Soon the beach & salt waters will be warm enough for swimming.

In the mean time outdoor swimming is in this 25 meter 6 lane chlorinated pool which is on the shore of Bedford Basin. The link below, from a realtor's page, shows the pool with the Basin in the background looking toward Halifax.

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I were the only ones in attendance for the "adult swim" period. Our community's best kept secret!!

http://www.sandyhines.com/lionplay4.jpg
Old 07-14-2009

freshegg

I definitely experience this "phenomenon". In fact, practically every time I swim, the water feels different, depending on so many factors : the water temperature, the number of other people in the lane, the number of other people in the entire pool, the percentage of those other people who are children oblivious to anyone else around them, the time of day I'm swimming, the angle of the sunlight shining down on the lanes, which Speedos I'm wearing..... you name it. Some days, I swear, someone has poured jello into the water and let it partially set. So, yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. You are not imagining it.

I think not only is the water temperature a big factor, but also the amount or concentration of chemicals in the water. Some days the water feels cool and clean and clear, and I can zip through my swim; other days it feels too warm, and I can almost taste the chemicals in my mouth, and then I feel like I'm slogging through slime. I am always amazed by how differently I might swim from one day to the next, and it's certainly not my stroke that's changing so dramatically.

I regularly swim in four very different pools - a 25-metre, 7-lane indoor pool with a graduated floor; a 25-metre, 5-lane indoor pool with a non-graduated floor (constant depth of about 4 feet); a 33-metre, 6-lane indoor pool with a graduated floor; and a 33-yard (from before New Zealand went metric), 5-lane outdoor pool with a graduated floor. I swim completely differently in each pool, and like I just said, it ain't my stroke that's changing! So it's got to be the environment in which I swim that is the cause.
Old 07-14-2009

ayesr
Default Swimming after Heavy Rain

I swim in an open pool. When it rains, it rains into the pool.

I had this experience - my body felt heavy in the water - requiring more effort, feeling of difficulty in stroking, sinking feeling.

I conclude that the "quality" of the pool water may have been affected by the rain. Consider the dust, exhaust residue, and so many other pollutants that may have commingled in the pool water coming off the rain water.

This may have caused the "heavy water" in the pool.

End.
Old 07-14-2009

Mike from NS
Default like jello - that's it !!!

Thanks for the replies freshegg and ayesr! That's a good and exact description of what I felt. Partially set jello!! If not for our distance, I'd bet you had been there Sunday. Glad to know it wasn't just my wife and I that experience this.

And ayesr may be close to the cause. I left out information that it had rained Sunday morning. Also the main Canadian National rail line into Halifax is about 100 feet behind the location of the photograph of the pool. So there are lots of pollutants available near by - not to mention the nearby highway.

I'll be more observant in the future of the weather conditions near swim times and what the water feel like. They also have birthday parties at the pool so I'm also not ruling out the jello factor !!
Old 07-14-2009

Rhoda

When I first started T.I. lessons I kept having a recurring dream about going to the pool and finding that they'd replaced the water with a thick clear goo, similar to hair setting gel. I'm sure my subconscious was trying to tell me something about my hand entry. :-)
The design of the pool walls may have an effect. I got talked into trying a masters meet last winter in a pool I've never swum in before. The pool deck was a good 18"/450cm above the gutter and I think they turned the circulation pumps off for the meet. I've never felt so fast in a 25m pool.
Old 07-15-2009

freshegg

Yes! That's another thing I have noticed, if I happen to be swimming in the lane that has the jet blasting the water into the pool, the force of the jet in my face can practically bring me to a standstill as I'm approaching the wall. It's like swimming upstream.

Which begs yet another question, has anyone else noticed that swimming in one direction often feels different from swimming back in the other direction?

And speaking of dreams, I have a recurring one where I'm swimming and there's no water in the pool at all. I'm basically dragging myself forward along the concrete floor of the pool. Any interpretations?
Old 07-15-2009

Grant

Which begs yet another question, has anyone else noticed that swimming in one direction often feels different from swimming back in the other direction?

?[/quote]

In most pools the water circulation inlets are at one end and the outlet at the other. I find I am consistantly a tad slower going against the current. The differnce in time is so small it is not significant and I am convinced it it there.
Old 07-15-2009

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

?
In most pools the water circulation inlets are at one end and the outlet at the other. I find I am consistantly a tad slower going against the current. The differnce in time is so small it is not significant and I am convinced it it there.[/quote]

GRANT: Actually the difference can be significant.

I used to do LAPs in a 50m pool in Singapore and was using my triathlon watch to record and store each SPLIT Time. At the end of the SWIM, to my surprise, one side was always and consistently 2seconds faster than the other. The lifeguard confirmed the pool pump system makes water flow from one end to the other.