Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008

Adam
Default Swimmer's Ear

I've read about this recently due to repeating ear aches after swimming.
I've been able to reduce the frequency of these occurrences using ear plugs, but I'd really like to get rid of them altogether. It keeps me away from the pool and might actually be dangerous over time.

It seems quite obvious to me that I need to consult with a physician, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced ear aches. From what I've read the main issue (since I swim in a clean chlorinated pool) is to get the ears dry after swimming.

Does anyone know any tricks for doing this?
Old 11-20-2008

Jamwhite

About 3 out of 4 times I swim, my right ear gets water stuck in it. I just looked up on the internet how to remove the water and found lots of good advice. Here are some sites that I found:

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Water-from-Ears

http://www.ehow.com/how_117803_rid-swimmers-ear.html

Last edited by Jamwhite : 11-20-2008 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Posted too early
Old 11-20-2008

madvet

Allergies can also be a contributor to earaches. During allergy season I always have fluid in my right ear. The fluid is actually in the middle ear, because the inflammation from allergies stops the eustachian tube from draining well. That fluid buildup can irritate the eardrum from the inside. Sometimes a decongestant like sudafed can help to keep the ear uncongested.

Water in the external canal is more of a problem for me in the humid summer months. I usually put some Swim-Ear (you can get it at Walgreen's) in after I swim.

If you are having severe earaches frequently you should see your doctor.
Old 11-20-2008

as
Default two tricks

a friend of mine recommended an ear solution that changes the pH to be less hospitable to fungi - you can find it here. my doctor gave me a prescription for it with no problem - it doesn't seem to have systemic effects, just changes the ph of the ear canal back to normal.

before that i was using a mix of white table vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

the other trick is to use a neti pot after going in the pool. my sinuses feel much better after the neti pot than when i don't rinse the chlorine out of that area.

good luck.