Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandall View Post
Coach Toby, Coach Suzanne,

Thanks for the heads-up on the math lesson.
My maths was fine yesterday but not my swimming, tried 3 or 4 combos to swim a sub 1.30 100m but couldn't do it.

6 weeks ago I managed 1.22 but yesterday I was tired and stiff from a late night job the day before. amazing the difference your sense of well being can make to your swimming.

will try again tomorrow. Am thinking of joining the triathletes for a late night session and so expect they do a lot of 100 repeats, at least in one lane.
Old 01-09-2013

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
My maths was fine yesterday but not my swimming, tried 3 or 4 combos to swim a sub 1.30 100m but couldn't do it.

6 weeks ago I managed 1.22 but yesterday I was tired and stiff from a late night job the day before. amazing the difference your sense of well being can make to your swimming.
Andy,
I know what you mean about those tired and unrefreshed swimming days. Working full time, and various other full time committments can sometimes take a toll both physical/mentally. Even though at times of tiredness I might not perform at my best in the pool its always enjoyable and well worth it...That's the great thing about water its so theraputic. Perhaps we could start a new thead "Work-Life-Balance" :-)
Old 01-09-2013

CoachToby

I can relate to this thread. My partner had twins 8 weeks ago and the sleep deprivation is beginning to catch up on me. I swam for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday for 30min. Struggled to achieve any half decent metrics and today my shoulders are aching! Suppose I'll have to readjust expectations and set some new swimming goals. I like Terry' idea of beginning each session with a clean slate - I think this approach will suit my new lifestyle better :-)
Old 01-09-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToby View Post
I can relate to this thread. My partner had twins 8 weeks ago and the sleep deprivation is beginning to catch up on me. I swam for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday for 30min. Struggled to achieve any half decent metrics and today my shoulders are aching! Suppose I'll have to readjust expectations and set some new swimming goals. I like Terry' idea of beginning each session with a clean slate - I think this approach will suit my new lifestyle better :-)
Wonderful Toby! Enjoy it. and the next 18 + years. :)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-09-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post

will try again tomorrow. Am thinking of joining the triathletes for a late night session and so expect they do a lot of 100 repeats, at least in one lane.
Andy are you doing your sessions sequentially or do you intersperse with days of very sub 1 mile target effort?
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-10-2013

grandall

Here is a set I did yesterday. My goal in this set is to build on my endurance which will be my main focus for 1-2 times per week. As mentioned on my previous post my goal is to do the half iron man swim (1.2mile) at a tempo between 1.1 -1.2 with a decent time range between 24-25 minutes.
As always any thoughts, ideas, and opinions are appreciated.

Tune Up:

1 X 300 @ 1.4 tempo avg. SPL 19
1 X 200 @ 1.3 SPL avg. SPL 18

Main Set:

3 X 300 @ 1.2 SPL
First Set- 4th length 18SPL, 8th-19SPL, 12th 20 SPL

My prior thought was to take a 20 beep rest. I decided to make it a 30 beep rest as my SPL was increasing and I could feel my stroke faltering.

Second Set- - 4th length 18SPL, 8th-19SPL, 12th 19 SPL

I felt more focused even though on a length or two I swam 20SPL. I did manage to regain control and maintain a 18-19 SPL on the remaining lengths.

I rested 30 beeps after this set.

Third Set - 4th length 19SPL, 8th 20SPL, 12th 19 SPL

Rest 25 Beeps

2 x 200 @ 1.19 avg. SPL 18, @ 1.18 avg. 19SPL

Cool Down:

2 x 50 @ 1.3 @ 37SPL, @ 38SPL

Note: I felt good after the swim, not spent but challenged

Last edited by grandall : 01-14-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Andy are you doing your sessions sequentially or do you intersperse with days of very sub 1 mile target effort?
Actually these 100's were at the end of a 3K plod swim.

I'm following a really simple triathlon training schedule Monday's and Thursday's Interval, Tuesday and Friday Distance. (Bike, Run, Swim)

Saturday's hedonistic swim session where I just do what I want to,

Toby, Swimming is awesome but Twins is better, congrats.

Months 3-12 will be the biggest challenge of anything you have ever done but a kaizen approach to patience and selflessness whilst extremely tired will get you through. (I wish i'd read Stephen Covey's 7 habits before I had kids)

I'm sure we can do some babysitting for you in the Autumn if you and your girlfriend need some de-stress time.
Old 01-10-2013

craig.arnold@gmail.com

Congratulations Toby!
Old 01-10-2013

flychick

Toby, congratulations from me too!!
Warm regards,
Nicki
Old 01-10-2013

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToby View Post
CoachToby Congrats!!.. on the twins I'm sure they will be in the pool in no time practicing TI :-)

Last edited by grandall : 01-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.