Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009

BobL

The TI swim studio is in New Paltz, NY. Less than 2hours from the city (not counting traffic) and worth it if you can make it up there.

Bob
Old 04-22-2009

ikarus47
Default New Paltz

I have considered that, but like many I have a busy life, and spending 4 hours+ in the car for a 1 hour swim lesson just does not compute; especially if I am considering somewhat more regular (?monthly) supervision.

Has anyone sought help from any of the following (all listed coaches near NYC):

Stefan Bill

New York, NY
(845) 709-0213
Email: sbil@total-immersion.chThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Fiona Laughlin

New York, NY
(626) 487-9732
Email: FionaLaughlin@yahoo.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Joe Petrush

Bayshore, NY
(631) 220-5209
Email: bayshoreswim@gmail.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Laura Tiedge

Rye, NY
Email: ltiedge@optonline.net

Kind thanks,
Andreas.
Old 04-22-2009

aesops
Default pool mile

In order to qualify for an open water swim in the hudson river, I had to swim a mile in a pool in under 45 minutes. I had never swam that distance before so I trained for a few months and was super prepared, still never having done that long distance. Well I did it in about 38 minutes and you know what, it was easy. Keeping count was tricky, I had to break it down to 10 laps at a time. But the distance was really not a problem and I felt great afterwards. The event is in July so I'm working on anchoring my forward hand, and staying on my skating sides, and keeping my bouy down and the oxygen flowing. I have to say that TI training has brought so much enjoyment to swimming and I love working with it. Thanks Everybody.
Old 04-25-2009
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Use this conference to ask questions or share experiences while working toward swimming your first mile.
Or to swim a faster mile.
Or a mile so easily . . . that you can swim 2 or 10 or 20 miles.
I swam my first mile before I ever heard of Total Immersion. In retrospect, it would have been better if I had heard of Total Immersion first.

I found Total Immersion because I was looking for ways to swim faster, and I discovered that the key to swimming faster was to improve my technique. Unfortunately, during all of the time I had spent working up to my first mile, I had been engraining bad technique, and it made it that much harder to break out of my bad habits.

My advice to all swimmers is: Get your technique right first. Then work on maintaining that technique at faster and faster speeds and over longer and longer distances.

Bob
Old 06-03-2009

phspender

Hello everyone. I've been swimming TI for a little over 2 years now, and was a non-swimmer before that. I've made a lot of progress with TI. I'm currently looking into a 1 mile race and am interested in improving my speed. I've swum 1500M in the past. My best pace is about 2min/100M. Any suggestions on things I should focus on to improve my speed? I realize this is a difficult question to answer as every swimmer needs to improve in different ways. But if there are particular drills or focal points that you think might help, I'd be grateful. I have the freestyle made easy DVD and Triathlon Swimming Made Easy as reference points.

Thanks, Pete.
Old 06-28-2009

ikarus47
Default improving speed

Pete,
A very personal view on that issue: I am close to where you are in terms of pace (2 minutes for 100m- 50m pool). In general as speed= stroke length x stroke rate, you have a choice of working on either rate or length per stroke (by default you'll be working on both), I found the tempo- trainer helpful to keep my stroke rate steady, and work on stroke length, see other posts here for how to play with the tempo trainer (for me increasing the stroke rate was helpful).
A strange thing I found that my pool times are getting noticeably better after open water swims, in particular, longer open water swims. I think in the open water it is easier to focus on the stroke and to experiment with the way certain adjustments "feel" in the water; that "second mile" when you are particularly trying to be efficient in the water, I find particularly valuable.
Just my take.
Andreas.