Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Lessons from last week's Maho Bay Open Water Experience

See my blog with video here.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-17-2011

haschu33

I always did this kind of skating step when going uphill while doing downhill skiing (sounds like a contradiction ;-) . When it is really, really steep uphill, you have to use a sidestep, of course. And downhill you let it run, of course.

When I got a good rhythm I could cover quite a distance and quite some height in a rather short time in the skating step. The point was to keep a high, but effortless tempo, otherwise I would just wear myself out.
Old 01-18-2011

vcyr
Default Lessons From Maho Bay Clinic

Terry:

One of the lessons I learned (among many, many lessons last week) was the point you were referring to to regarding your skiing. When I would feel either some increased anxiety creeping in or if my stroke just started feeling ineffective, I would stop, regroup my thoughts and composure, pick a focal point to concentrate on, and then resume my swim.

The result was that instead of having a stressful or unpleasurable swim, I had just a few strokes of unease. The rest of the swim was enjoyable.

Vince
Old 01-18-2011
Head Coach

Default Never Practice Struggle

Vince
An insight to build on, literally.
Now that you're home you'll need to convert the principle of Never Practice Struggle to pool swimming.

One thing I did when taking a skiing rest was slow nose-breathing. That promotes mental calm and possibly accelerates physical recovery.

My TI Story
Old 01-18-2011

vcyr
Default Breathing

Terry:

In my martial arts sessions, after some significant activity where breathing and heart rate are at near-max levels, we begin breathing in through the nose, say for 4 secs., hold it for 4 secs., then exhale through the mouth for 4 secs. We then try to increase each step by 1 sec. It is a really effective way to bring down he heart rate and restore a sense of calm.

Vince
Old 01-19-2011
Head Coach

I've found much crossover between TI and martial arts practice.

My TI Story
Old 01-21-2011

westyswoods
Default Mahoe Bay Experience

My wife and I returned from Mahoe Bay Tuesday evening. 100 degree difference in temps as today it is -16 in Wisconsin.

I was very pleased with the lessons learned from all coaches, participants and through self reflection. The video which we captured during the three mile swim is in the process of being edited and should be posted by Sunday or Monday.

While I did not participate in this session, it may have been one of the most valuable learning moments for me. While following the group from start to finish, the transition from an apprehensive struggling type stroke for many, to one where participants began to find a comfort zone and not worry about how far it was, but more concentration on the moment. After about one half mile most everyone found a flow and the difference was so obvious. Most became paired with others and many were swimming as one. Strokes in synchronization, amazing to watch the transformation. I would like to mention Michael as an example only because the transition from his beginning to the middle was absolutely amazing struggle to flow state. Vince and Dianne had long stretches where they literally were swimming as one with matching strokes.

While Coaches Terry, Dave and Celeste were swimming with the group every time they joined a small pod there was a noticeable improvement in the ease and strokes of those they were with.

I found this to be the case earlier in the week on a shorter swim when Coach Celeste and I were synched and in tune for some time. It just seemed so natural and easy. " That was fun" as Coach said.

Observing how everyone handled some rougher, choppy water was interesting in that those who were able to stay low did much better. Hope the video shows it. With a little over two miles in it became obvious fatigue was setting in for some, (which is why I did not participate). Some were in and out of the flow state, others were not as efficient and a few held up great all the way.

Congrats to all who participated in all of the swims form long to short. It was a great week of learning. The following are a couple of technical points I found to be valuable and will work on.

1. Relaxed shoulders remove a tremendous amount of pressure from area while allowing for a more passive pull.

2. Hip nudge is a very elusive point but allows for extension of lead arm and power generation from core.

3. Never too early to breathe.

4. Sighting is not difficult after finding the side which is most comfortable for you and use your lead arm to sight down, Stay low don't try to breathe on stroke.

5. Relax have fun, enjoy and swim with a partner amazing the energy gained from doing so.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 01-25-2011
Head Coach

Westy
Thanks so much for these generous and helpful insights. Like you, I found the perspective from the kayak invaluable. I recommended to Celeste that there be at least one coach paddling at all kayak-supported sessions in the 2nd week of camp. I was able to observe much more - both individually and group tendencies, such as you noted. And having made an observation I could quickly get to the swimmer or group and give the appropriate feedback.

I particularly felt the way the 5k swim course was laid out was ideal. The group had plenty of opportunity to tune up their strokes during the first hour, on the way to Cinnamon Cay.

As we went around American Point and into Cinnamon Bay, we had a strong wind at our backs. After circling the Cay, we gathered in the shelter of a small point and could see strong wind chop coming at us, which we would have to negotiate on the way back to Big Maho Bay.

As we waited for the last group and prepared to head out, I urged everyone to embrace the challenge of swimming into the wind and swells by making it a goal to do their best technique of the entire week through the roughest conditions. They seemed excited to take this on.

Here's what I told them: When you hit rougher water, strive to make your stroke, and your psyche, much calmer. Focus on staying low, long and stable. You want to feel the water is moving around you -- not moving you around.

When we completed that stretch and gathered at American Point they seemed really exhilarated at the experience.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 01-25-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2011

westyswoods
Default Mahoe Bay Experience

Terry,

This may sound more than a little naive, how can I post the edited video in this thread? I am sure many would be interested in the dynamics and flow of the events. One of the most valuable lessons learned through years of training and teaching is there never is a time when I do not also gain knowledge through the process. Often times simple observation is a great teacher.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 01-26-2011

westyswoods
Default Link To Mahoe Bay OW Video

I was informed all that was needed is the link to youtube typed in. So here it is and hope it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-KPELKttA

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy

Last edited by westyswoods : 01-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.