Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Poll: Focal Points or Stroke Thoughts

This is mainly a semantical question. Those who've followed the evolution of the names of various TI drills from one generation of videos to the next may have noticed my fondness for giving things new names. These changes carry the potential of introducing potential confusion, but my motivation is the opposite, to pursue greater clarity, and in some cases greater emotional power.

Calling a thing by one name may give it a utilitarian label.

Calling it by another can make it more colorful-and-thus-memorable, and even more inspirational/impactful.

UnderSwitch was a label that accurately described that switches happen beneath the water.

SpearSwitch conveys that the drill is designed to transform a human body into a barracuda-like, water-piercing instrument of efficiency and speed . . . Or so I hoped.

ZipperSwitch was an accurate, if utilitarian, label when I introduced it. At the time we instructed swimmers to initiate it by "drawing your hand along your lower torso as if pulling a zipper up your side." In time we discovered that while the action had a certain elegance, it introduced tension in the recovery and instability from excess rotation.

When we modified the drill to a wider recovery, I knew we needed to change the name to reduce the likelihood of swimmers being influenced to keep "pulling a zipper."

I chose ZenSwitch because (1) we could still use Z-Switch as shorthand and (2) to emphasize that "Total Immersion" also means "Mindfulness."

But I was never fully satisfied with that name because it failed to describe the action.

So with the 10-Lesson Perpetual Motion Freestyle Series (PMF another recent label) I christened it SwingSwitch.

This drill name was intended to more accurately describe the movement. When teaching this we tell students "Swing, don't lift," the elbow." But also to connect it to an admittedly obscure reference from rowing. In his 1985 book about Olympic rowing, "The Amateurs," David Halberstam describes the magical feeling rowers experience when perfect synchronization among eight individuals makes rowing seem almost effortless: “When oarsmen talked about their perfect moments in a boat, they referred not so much to winning a race but to the feel of the boat when it seemed to lift right out of the water. Oarsmen called that swing.”
SwingSwitch has a similar effect to swing in rowing. When you get it right, the effortless propulsive power it provides seems almost magical.

I'm about to start work on a new book to replace the original "blue-and-yellow" TI book. As I hope this book will introduce and explain TI to a far larger group of people who are not yet familiar with it, I want to choose terms for essential aspects of our practice. I'm enlisting the help of the most motivated, informed, thoughtful and eloquent swimmers on the planet - those on this Forum - to help me make the right choices. I'll do that via a series of polls in which I invite you to not just vote, but give persuasive reasons for your choice. First poll is whether we should call the stroke refinements we think about -- or focus on -- Focal Points or Stroke Thoughts.

Focal Points came first. I didn't give it much 'thought' when I chose it. I didn't even think of it, at the time, as an enduring label. It was a convenient, and somewhat utilitarian, descriptor.

More recently, if unofficially, I've begun describing them as Stroke Thoughts. I made the switch because "focal point" seemed a bit general and "stroke thought" more specific. Also because the term "stroke thoughts" is already in common use in golf, another activity that is clearly about skill, not conditioning.

Your vote?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-21-2010

vconroy

Hi Terry,

I'm relatively new to TI, but have heard all of these terms used in various books, videos and the workshop I attended. The terms that worked for me were the following:

1. "Focal Point" - I'm not sure why "stroke thought" doesn't do it for me. Maybe because I think of "stroking" with my arms. Many of my recent focal points have involved streamlining my legs, getting proper hip rotation and breathing without losing tempo. For cases like this, "focal point" seems more appropriate to me.

2. "SpearSwitch" - Captures the idea of spearing forward. When I do this drill correctly I feel my body spearing toward my target.

3. "ZenSwitch" - I understood from the workshop that one of the main purposes of this drill was to reduce tension in the recovering arm and enter the water at the correct time. I had a very hard time getting used to doing this drill because my hand was not relaxed and therefore created a lot of drag. In order to get the drill right, I had to let my hands be in more of a "Zen state", yielding to the water rather than trying to force my arm into it.
Old 11-21-2010
Coach

CoachPamR

Hi Terry,

Having just read this, my initial reaction is that I prefer "Focal Points" merely because sometimes the focal point may actually not be part of the stroke eg relax, stay calm, exhale etc etc.
Old 11-21-2010

westyswoods

Terry,

This is an interesting and also necessary thread. I for one prefer the concept of focal point over stroke thought. Coach Pam explained it well. Focal point is to me more encompassing while stroke thought seems to be more attuned to the physical movement of a stroke.

Your asking for input from forum participants only reinforces my belief that TI is unique in creating a positive sharing and learning environment, which is user friendly.

One of my frustrations through the past four years of TI has been the evolution of terminology. Teaching techniques surely evolve with time, case in point being the switch from a very drill oriented weekend workshop to one which brings an integration of whole stroke more into the time spent. This I believe to be a very positive move.

The other side of the coin is what seems to be a constant changing of terminology. I attended a weekend workshop and assisted Coach Mike from Chicago in two others. I also spent a week in Lake Placid with Coach Shane and a weekend with Coach Dave in Minn. I discussed with all three coaches that I do not see the benefits of changing terminology. Coach Dave made some valid points as to why zen was switched to swing and I buy it.

Is and has the concept and technique changed or is it just the semantics of it. If the later I believe there needs to be a higher threshold of reason.

How about a glossary of old vs new when changes are made. My main point is we all have to be on the same wave to be successful.

In closing kudos for seeking input. Hope to see you in VI and discuss in more depth.

Be Well and Swim Silent
Westy
Old 11-21-2010

drmike

Terry,

IMO the original “Focal points” is more to the point, therefore more effective.

mm

Last edited by drmike : 11-24-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2010

atreides

I guess I'm going to disagree with everyone but I think "stroke thought" focuses you on what you are trying to accomplish which is propel yourself through the water. Since 90% of the propulsion comes from the activity involving the stroke, it seems that somehow everything comes back to that. Whether it is 2bk or balance or spearing, they all can be put in the context of when or what you are doing before, during, or after a catch and pull. I think that sometimes the things we are supposed to work on are needlessly compartmentalized from what the primary function should be. 'Stroke thought' makes the point that swimming is an interrelated activity in which its components can be organized around an important if not the most important function.
Old 11-21-2010

aerogramma

Hello Terry,
personally I don't mind too much if you use stroke thoughts or focal points.

To me te real point is that those bullet point one liners have to be sustained by a thorough explanation of what they actually stand for.
It was very interesting to hear about the genesis of zen switch, zipper switch, swing switch.

What I'm saying is that while a single line catch phrase maybe be easier to memorize I much rather rely and recall the thoruoghly explained reasons behind it.

That way you'd never have to go through the motion times and times again like westywood so well pointed out.

I'd say extended explanations first and only then focal points/stroke thoughts

best

val
Old 11-22-2010

jsmith2113
Default Learning

It's more important to learn the meaning of the word than it is to learn the word. I think the text of the book does a superb job explaining what "it" is and changing the word won't make much of a difference for me.
Old 11-22-2010

PASA
Default A vote for stroke thought

I picked up TI less than a year ago when I bought the Easy Freestyle DVD, so I've heard the term "Stroke Thought" more than focal point, so that may have biased me a bit in favor of Stroke Thought. But here's my reasons for the preference:

1. Ties to whole stroke swimming, even when beginning to learn to swim via TI lessons from scratch. The term suggests that what I'm doing when learning a drill is a "thought" I can have when swimming the whole stroke later.

2. Reminds me that when swimming whole stroke, at any speed, I should have a stroke thought for each stroke, whether for the whole practice, one length, or just the stroke I'm taking at the moment. Since it's a stroke thought, I can change the thought after a stroke or two, or hold it for more strokes.

3. The word "thought" emphasizes using your mind while swimming to improve.

4. Stroke thought seems to be a relatively unique term, if not unique to TI then at least to swimming (though perhaps also golf). Focal point seems more generic and could apply to any sport or other activity.
Old 11-22-2010

suds

Hello all,
I've been visiting the TI website on a daily basis for several months now. I just now registered in order to respond to this poll question. I apologize that my first post is somewhat whiny, but the "naming" question allows me to vent a bit about something that's been problematic for me since I started to try and make a committed attempt to pursue TI techniques. I've been swimming regularly (but without any coaching) for over 25 years. I bought a copy of the first edition of the yellow and blue book many years ago. I read bits and pieces of it, but never sat down and read it cover to cover. Having reached the "plateau" that it seems many TI swimmers encountered I decided to really get serious (but not grim) and try to improve (and enjoy) my swimming. My gripe is that as Terry notes ..."These changes carry the potential of introducing potential confusion". I'll say. In a few instances I've spent a good deal of time practicing a technique from the book or from a video only to discover in the forums that "we no longer teach that technique". I guess I'm not the first one to make this complaint, but it really has been frustrating and it also introduces a strange kind of uncertainty. I sometimes wonder now if I'm spending time on a drill or technique that I will later learn has been dropped or replaced. I've seen in the forums where advice has been given in terms of what video to look at first etc. It still seems that there is a lot of overlap in the materials and for the newcomer it's daunting. I've been considering purchasing more videos. I'm still not sure if "Easy Freestyle" and "Freestyle Made Easy" are the same thing. It would help a lot if there was some kind of a resource that listed all of the materials, when they were first introduced and perhaps put in an order or grouping that would help organize them. Perhaps it could be indicated which pages or chapters in the book(s) coincide (specifically) with specific lessons or sections of the videos. Perhaps some kind of glossary could clarify the names given to techniques. When they were introduced, how the names were chosen, if they've been altered or dropped over time. I bought the 2nd edition of the yellow and blue book in an effort to try and get a handle on things. I spent part of yesterday afternoon working on the zipper switch technique (which doesn't exist in the first edition). Now, after reading Terry's original post for this thread I discover that I'm still two name changes (zipper switch/zen switch/swing switch) behind...help. Even with the frustration I'm enjoying re-shaping my techniques and attitude and I will stick with it–and hopefully write some more positive posts.
As for the original question; stroke thoughts or focal points–I would opt for stroke thoughts simply in terms of clarity. The phrase "focal points" comes up often in a variety of contexts. In the TI book it is often advised to "focus on" this or that when practicing techniques. I think it would be best to chose names that are distinctive and less likely to be misunderstood. Frankly, I even think using "zen" as a term or adjective is not the best choice. I understand what it's meant to evoke (and again, I hope I'm not coming off as too much of a nit-picker) but "zen" is actually a specific thing. I would opt for chosing names that are as simple and clear as possible. It might be less poetic, but part of the beauty of poetry is that it can be open for interpretation–not the best idea (imho) for choosing short, clear, descriptive phrases.