Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010

Grant

Several months ago I came across an article where the author claimed that the research that everyone has accepted showed that a great amount of heart loss occurred thru the head was defective. His point was that tho there is some heat loss it is not near as significant as has been stated for about 40 to 50 years. Cant remeber where I read this. Will look for it and post it if I find it.
May we all swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Old 10-10-2010

LennartLarsson
Default Comments

Naj: Unfortunately we have ice in winter, so there is no OW swimming here in Sweden. I agree, it is horrible in the spring when you have to adjust to the water after 6 monthts in the pool. But regular pain makes the difference and in the spring the temperature is going up gradually, and so finally one day it is quite nice to be out there. I would love to swim with you at some time, but it has to be in the fall, I should think, when I am still compatible to cold water. Alcatraz is something you got to do once in your life, right?

Alistair and Grant (and by all means Naj): I just cannot believe that we have some kind of a chimney up there. It not logical. I agree with the conclusion that the reason for us to feel so comfortable when wearing a cap in the cold, is just that the head otherwise is uncovered. The heat, when working, goes out everywhere in the body by sweating. It has to be that way to my logics. But never mind, it is not a big deal!

Lennart
Old 10-10-2010

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartLarsson View Post
Alistair and Grant (and by all means Naj): I just cannot believe that we have some kind of a chimney up there. It not logical. I agree with the conclusion that the reason for us to feel so comfortable when wearing a cap in the cold, is just that the head otherwise is uncovered. The heat, when working, goes out everywhere in the body by sweating. It has to be that way to my logics. But never mind, it is not a big deal!
Lennart
It *sounds* logical enough to me--the rest of the body has a layer of fat to insulate it. That said, I think you're correct. This article references a study that debunks the myth. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...humanbehaviour
Old 10-11-2010

naj

Lennart, you are most welcome to come swim Alcatraz with me whenever you choose As well as anyone else who fancies it. I'll bet your body could take temps as low as 11 or maybe even 10C if you had time to acclimate. I believe a lot of it is mental over time. As Terry can attest, I'm not a large man (180 wet at best), but I can go long stretches in cold water with solid mental prep and acclimatization. Not fast yet but getting there, so if you are slow - people - you can last in cold water as long as you keep swimming.

Naji

PS EWA I'm spending Christmas in Perth, Australia where the temps will be scorching for me in the water (75-80F). I hope to one day swim The Molokai Channel. You up for doing it with me?
Old 10-11-2010

Grant

KatieK:
Thanks. That is the item I was talking about but had no memory of where I had found it. And dont ask me what we had for dinner last night. )
Old 10-11-2010

AWP

I'll chime in since it's been a while since I've done so. Being 'follicle challenged' I can attest to the 'need' for head coverage while swimming in cold waters. Not doing so leaves me with the a sort of 'brain freeze' and a bit light headed afterwards. I'm sure however that proper acclimation would alleviate most of that until a certain temp. Wearing a cap at least gives me a 'comforting' feeling that I am warmer.
No fat insulation? perhaps but 'thick skulled' people need not worry : )
Although the temps here off of Long Island haven't yet dipped to those low temps as Terry et al mention, time in becomes important as I recently found in swimming my longest distance to date, a 10K. Water temp was 65F, not a prob at shorter distance, but add an extra hour plus in and it makes all the difference so being prepped can be critical. I wore two standard latex caps and felt just fine afterwards, light shivering, no need for plugs with two caps but couldn't hurt especially if temps were lower (my partner wore a wetsuit and some sort of thermal shirt under that and still had the shivers). I'm sure continual swimming as the temps decrease will enable me to swim those distances in colder water. Naj mentions all the post swim necessities for comfortably keeping the core warm and the mind wanting more!
Naj, all I can say is one day, one day ...

Best,

Alan
Old 10-11-2010

LennartLarsson
Default Katie

Thanks for that link. It goes well along with the way I see it. This link will be bookmarked for later use. Thanks!

Lennart