Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010

ewa.swimmer
Talking Maui Channel Swim Relay Race

We made it! It took Team Kaizen 6 1/2 hours in the worst conditions they've seen in 11 years. What an adventure. Four of us (John Sargent, John Martinez, Dave Lim, and myself) met at the TI Kona Open Water camp in March. I recruited 2 more friends (Aimee Kolman and Jim McCleery) to round out the team. This was Dave S's first swim race ever. Boy that takes guts. The other two Ti swimmers quickly learned that sighting was an important skill to have in open ocean. I got stung by a jellyfish. The swells were 4-5 feet in the middle of the channel and the winds were smoking.
There were Bejing swim medalists and pan pacific champions on other teams. Come join us next year.
Old 09-07-2010

KatieK

Great job! Congratulations!!!

How far did each team member swim? Any tips or lessons learned? Could you keep going after the jellyfish sting?
Old 09-07-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I know that Channel intimately from the 4h55m crossing Dave Barra, Willie Miller and I did back in March, not a relay; each of us swim the full distance. It can really rock and roll out there.
Is that 64 y.o. Jim McCleary from the Seattle area? Or another Jim with a similar, but differently-spelled name.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 09-08-2010

ewa.swimmer

Terry: it's the same Jim you know. He's in Kona until the end of the year. He's teaching online classes back in Washington.

Katie: The first rotation is 30 min each then a 10 min. rotation. The last team came in at around 9 1/2 hours. We learned that we should bring a whistle to get the swimmers attention. The novice ocean swimmers learned that you need to sight early and often when the sea is throwing you around. They often turned ninety degrees and headed to Molokai. I kept swimming after being stung...just swore a lot.
Old 09-08-2010

naj

Great job EWA! I was suppose to swim Maui this year but couldn't gather the funds together Newbies, EWA brought up a very important point remember to practice sighting especially in rough water. Also, really work on bilateral breathing when you swim in the ocean and you'll thank yourself for it later.

I'm jealous EWA, but I'll get my revenge when i'm swimming in Perth Australia every day for three weeks this Christmas. HA!!!
Old 09-09-2010

DavidBarra

congrats all!
looks like a mini kona camp reunion!

i saw some video of the event.... huge waves, very exciting!
Old 09-10-2010

cynthiam

Congrats, ewa, and to the whole team! Wow, that sounds like an amazing adventure. And jellyfish to top it off -- .