Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2018
dubdub

Default Sinking legs without fins - help!!

I had posted a month or so back on getting my breathing right. The advice I received on these forums helped me quite a bit - I'm able to do 25 yards at a stretch. I can see that I don't panic as much anymore and I become conscious when I go too fast. I'm reminding myself to slow down and I'm not reaching for the wall in a panic. I practice about twice a week for 45 minutes each.

Then about a week back I borrowed my son's fins and that helped me even go 2-3 laps (25 yards) without breaks. I was able to get a good feel for a streamlined posture, rotating body and was able to somewhat correct my arm movements. But when I remove the fins, I'm realizing that my legs sink and drag behind me. I think this was the case even before I used the fins but the usage of the fins have made me aware of this sinking/drag. Without the fins I do 25 yards with about 30 strokes which is not sustainable. I'm very dejected.

I don't want to be dependent on the fins. They have been useful in localizing issues I see with my technique. But now comes the hard part. How do I get my feel/legs to stay afloat?

Also, I read about Finis Rangs. Unlike the fins, if these don't become a crutch, I'd like to use them. (if these are like Kids' floats that you remove one after the other over a period of time by which time the kids have gotten habituated to remain afloat, then I'd be super thrilled).

Any suggestions on rectifying my technique flaw and thoughts on the rangs are most welcome. Thanks

Dubdub