Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012

igorner
Default Many thanks

Thank you All!

These suggestions give me a great framework with which to sharpen my practice. Wet suit is on order!
Ian
Old 02-07-2012

andyinnorway

I love my wet suit, I know they aren't popular with everyone in TI world but mine makes me feel like ironman, and I love that I can get into any lake near me and swim right down the middle without worrying, if I need a break or get a cramp I can simply turn over and float.

Plus the speed difference is amazing.

Just got a bit tired of smelling like pondy muddy rubber by the end of last season but thats why seasons work.
Old 02-07-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2Bfree View Post
It's difficult to evaluate Dr. Joyner's comment; as far as I can tell, it was a personal communication rather than a published academic article.
It was in fact a personal comment. Mike and I exchange emails regularly and this is a topic we've discussed frequently. He has several times told me he considers all the stuff on Energy System Training to be 'pseudo-science.'

It wasn't Mike who commented on the absence of a correlation between the common metrics such as VO2max and swim performance. I believe it was John Troup, former director of sports science for USA Swimming and it was in relation to elite swimmers.

However Mike did say that those metrics have much more predictive value with land endurance activities than with swimming -- no surprise since the research that produced them was nearly all land-based. Despite that, he says the top running coaches are almost entirely intuitive in training athletes. They adjust based on highly-attuned 'reading' of the athlete's readiness -- not just physical but mental and emotional too. For an authoritative source on this, read Matt Fitzgerald's book RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel

It therefore strikes me as ironic that so many swim coaches follow Energy System formulas--which have had little-to-no predictive value for swim performance--with near-religious faith.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 02-08-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2012

ian mac
Default Ah yes, the mental

Terry,
I have always believed that it is the mental part of sports that is so intriguing.
That's one of the main appeals of TI- the intelligence behind the science/math and at times a "spirituality" that seems to transcend it all.

Regarding coaches, I have always performed best for those who were great people motivators. Some quiet, some more rah-rah, but they all made the swimmers feel that they could go out there and be their best. In a book by the great Olympian Don Schollander that affected me deeply as a teenager, he refers to his coach, the great George Haines and his ability to do what you are alluding to-coaching by feel. Haines had that rare ability to guage the mood of his swimmers and sometimes change a workout on the fly.

When I read the various posts from the TI community, there seems to be a pervading feeling by most that they are on the right path in their swimming journey. Regardless of their current ability,most seem to be confident that through this mindful approach, they will succeed in improving.

So hats off to you. You inspire so many in your books, speeches, videos and I'm sure in person. Keep up the fine example.
Ian
Old 02-18-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Simple Way to get started using the TI Algorithm

Valuable thread in the Swim a Mile conference on how to use the TI Algorithm to progress from first mile to faster mile.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story