Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010

Ken B
Default High as a kite

I got back from the estuary this morning as high as a kite. "How was it?" asked Merle. "The best ever" I replied. She's heard it all before of course. I cant believe the ups and downs, progress and reversals this TI journey delivers.
I've bought myself a tri wetsuit (sorry to disappoint you Naj but I was getting too cold) to extend my open water season and this was my fifth o/w swim this season. The river has been flooded for a fortnight and I've been swimming in muddy freshwater but this morning it was clear and salt. I swam against a strong incoming tide and because I was making good progress continued the 500 metres to the boatyard jetty.Returning in the main current was too quick. No fatigue at all and easy breathing either bi or uni lateral.
I have spent my pool time this winter practising both side breathing and trying to improve my balance but the most important thing I developed was a proper appreciation of hip drive and rotation. Back in open water I have found that if I trail my feet and concentrate on core rotation my legs join in with perfect timing.
For the moment I feel as though I've cracked it and perhaps have at last got closer to Terry's 'easier ,faster, further.'

Ken
Old 10-07-2010

splashingpat
Default own it guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
I got back from the estuary this morning as high as a kite
"How was it?" asked Merle. "The best ever" I replied. She's heard it all before of course.
I cant believe the ups and downs, progress and reversals this TI journey delivers.
I've bought myself a tri wetsuit (sorry to disappoint you Naj but I was getting too cold)
to extend my open water season and this was my fifth o/w swim this season.

The river has been flooded for a fortnight and I've been swimming in muddy freshwater
but this morning it was clear and salt.
I swam against a strong incoming tide
and because
I was making good progress continued the 500 metres to the boatyard jetty.
Returning in the main current was too quick. No fatigue at all and easy breathing either bi or uni lateral.

I have spent my pool time this winter practicing both side breathing and trying to improve my balance but the most important thing
I developed was a proper appreciation of hip drive and rotation.
Back in open water
I have found that if I trail my feet and concentrate on core rotation
my legs join in with perfect timing.

For the moment
I feel as though I've cracked it and perhaps have
at last got closer to Terry's
'easier ,faster, further.'

Ken
Own your stroke!...(i say),
but whatever
floats your boat!

Last edited by splashingpat : 10-08-2010 at 09:59 PM.