Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010

plee12
Default Which Stroke is Best for Abdomen?

Hello,

I'd like to know which stroke (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly) is most effective for working and toning the abdominal region?

Thank you,

Peter
Old 01-17-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

A couple months ago I would have said breast and fly because of the undulation. Recently, however, I have really started working on keeping my body line as clean as possible in free and back and find that just as intense, if not more so.

Try this, Stand in a full length mirror and "swim" as if the mirror is the bottom of the pool. You can do free or back. Now try to maximize your range of motion without allowing your torso to bend in any way. You can't wear loose clothing or you won't see your bends.

Next, lay on the floor, on your back in streamline position. Try to get your hands, shoulders, low back, and knees on the floor. It takes a lot of ab strength (and shoulder/hip flexibility) to do it.

I started thinking about this when an interviewer asked Dara Torres what she thinks about when racing her 50 and her response was "tone". She later clarified that she meant keeping her body just firm enough that everything stays connected and straight.
Old 01-17-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee12 View Post
I'd like to know which stroke (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly) is most effective for working and toning the abdominal region?
Dolphin kicking drills, with or without fins, will work your abs. You can drill at a higher tempo than regular swimming and exaggerate the movements as much as you wish.

I agree that holding a "toned" position while doing backstroke or crawl can, in effect, be like an isometric exercise. I have also been giving attention to that area recently while doing the crawl.

Maybe try the Pilates "plank" exercise. Try hold it for 30-60s. http://www.monkeysee.com/play/383-pi...thigh-exercise (The title is mislabelled.)
Old 01-18-2010

Grant

To work the abs even more do the dolphin drill on your back with the arms either above the head in line with body or along the sides. Also vertical dolphins with the arms folded across the chest. Can progress by having the arms out of the water to varying degrees until they are straight above the head. Work up to this gradually in terms of time and difficulty.
Old 01-18-2010

splashingpat
Default CRAWL AND BUTTERFLY IS HARD on the SHOULDERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
To work the abs even more
do the dolphin drill on your back with the arms either above the head in line with body or along the sides.
Also vertical dolphins with the arms folded across the chest.
Can progress by having the arms out of the water to varying degrees until they are straight above the head.
Work up to this gradually in terms of time and difficulty.
Hi guys
I hate to say this but the shoulders is the one that is seen by the DOCTORS
and this is the reason I never did either one!
i say strengthen the shoulders and the joints around 'em!
but THAT'S ME!-just thinking about it! -that's it for me!

me concern is always been about the shoulders and
the above the water PART OF THE SWIMMING stuff
i never had a problem with the underwater swimming!
its always been FUN!
Old 01-18-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
To work the abs even more do the dolphin drill on your back with the arms either above the head in line with body or along the sides. Also vertical dolphins with the arms folded across the chest. Can progress by having the arms out of the water to varying degrees until they are straight above the head. Work up to this gradually in terms of time and difficulty.
Depending on how fluid your dolphin kick is on your back, I would suggest using a mixture of fins and no fins.

If you are doing dolpin kicking on your back with your arms either by your side or in a streamlined position(like swimmers do when they push-off the walls at the start of swims or after turns) I would say don't use fins.

If you want to experiment with degrees of difficulty, like grant mentioned above, I would recommended fins until you develop the core strength to start doing a few lengths without them.

I have done some of the positions grant mentioned above, they really do work your abs. If you don't have history or current shoulder issues, these will not put any stress on the joints.