Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2017
Barryc

Default 1.0 effortless endurance questions

Hi purchased 1.0 effortless endurance and looking forward to being trying the drill.

However I cant see any program or anything that tells me how often I should do these drills before moving on?

Do I do a whole session of torpedo and superman (video 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3) then go the next set another day?

was hoping the work book/ ultra efficient freestyle book would have a program to follow. can anyone help please
Old 01-23-2017

Zenturtle

I dont know this stuff, but in general you stop doing the drill (for a session )

If its so easy you learn nothing from it

if you not yet mastered it, but your body isnt picking up new clues when doing the drill.

My max attention span for a dril is 10 min max.
Your body remembers your hard trying efforts and adapts neurally in your sleep and between succesive attempts.
If this process isnt working on fresh repetitions of the drill,sfter trying a few times, you better move on for a while doing different things.
Often you still get better doing differnt things and the drill will suddenly be easier after a few months, even if you didnt do that drill for a while.
You normally can go in circles betweem starter drills and more difficult drills, each round you are on a differnet level and get new info, looking at it from a new perspective.
Old 01-23-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryc View Post
Hi purchased 1.0 effortless endurance and looking forward to being trying the drill.

However I cant see any program or anything that tells me how often I should do these drills before moving on?

Do I do a whole session of torpedo and superman (video 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3) then go the next set another day?

was hoping the work book/ ultra efficient freestyle book would have a program to follow. can anyone help please
Hi Barry,

The 1.0 series is primarily about balance and streamline foundation, and whole body propulsion - building self awareness. Do enough drill to become aware, then practice position/focus in freestyle. Torpedo is all about head-spine aligned, beginning to feel balance over your lungs, making legs light. Superman with arms in front with arm weight in front of lungs making legs even lighter. Slot to Skate is new and introduces the forward position and single switch whole body coordination in a single move (this has proven very effective). Then Skate where you learn to ride your edge (lateral balance) and trim up your vessel.

Typically, in workshop, torpedo, superman, slot to skate, skate are covered in first hour that includes roughly 800-1000yards of freestyle. Do enough to become aware, then focus on those points (one at a time) in freestyle. Don't get stuck in drill-mode.

Also - these drills you will execute frequently regardless of your swim level. Balance and streamline are a continuous focus and refinement. I even start my set with a 25 torpedo, 25y superman, 50y r/l skate repeats to get balanced and stable from the middle of the body and feeling a clean edge. If I feel sticky in the middle of a long set, I'll bake in a r/l skate to find out what's going on (or wrong) and correct. When I observe a swimmer executing a skate drill, I can tell precisely what are glaring errors in their freestyle.

In any case, it's not about perfecting a drill and moving on. Do enough to become aware and refine - then try freestyle with the drill focus, i.e. if you are in skate, head-spine aligned, no arch in back and feel hip pop above the surface; try feel that same position in freestyle on each edge. Begin to feel slippery, not sticky. A slippery vessel is effortless, a sticky vessel requires a lot of effort :-)

Enjoy your journey!

Stuart

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 01-23-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2017
Barryc

Thank you for the advice guys. makes perfect sense