Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012

diotortorello
Default Feedback on my swim technique

Hi guys. Id like some tips on how I could improve my swim technique. Ive tried to do TI swimming by watching the internet videos.
Please help me, since I know I still have a lot to improve. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Im40xtluw
Old 05-25-2012

daveblt

Overall your stroke is looking good but here are some things I see . Try a just little less rotation especially on breathing strokes . It seems you have a 2 beat kick that is timed right but with a drop less rotation this could help with balance and the kick to become a little more compact .Your entry is a bit too narrow . Try to enter in front of the shoulder instead .Try to keep your recovery arms moving in a more circular motion instead of cramping the elbows back . Your hands should be just over the surface of the water on recovery .

Dave
Old 05-25-2012

diotortorello

Thanks for the tips Dave! I highly appreciate them!
Old 05-25-2012

Donal F

It looks to me that you are kicking from a bent knee instead of from the hip.
Old 05-26-2012

azamy

Three things I noticed.

One: the hand entry - you seem to have wide shoulders and that hand entry is making your scapulas unstable. My suggestion is keep your head at 12 o'clock and the right hand entry at 1 o'clock and left hand entry at 11 o'clock stabilizing your shoulder span while lengthening your vessel.

two: distance per stroke - you can try to improve that and travel longer with each stroke by streamlining your body from the tip of the spear hand to toes of corresponding foot.

three: that beat kick from a bent knee instead of hip drive.

While I observed yours I don't know how mine looks so I will have to post a video to get the feedback for improvement.

good luck.
Old 05-26-2012

janedoemuc
Default Re: Feedback on my swim technique

Your overall direction seems to me down instead of ahead. IMO your sending all your energy to the ground instead in your swimming direction (ahead) where you want to go.

Your pull seems to starts too early, i.e. the extended arm pulls before your upper arm passes your ear. That means more drag as there is no hand/arm which can separate the water in front of you so you can slip through it with your body.

My suggestions: Practice an effortless arm extending in your swimming direction (skate or spear position) instead of pulling. Shift your attention to the forward movement instead to the pull. Practice switch (rotation) timing. Kick on your side. Get a feeling for the momentum which you create when you use your hip/core as you enter the water with your hand. Learn to "glide" and feel the moment, when you need to set another stroke to keep the tempo instead of decelerating. Focus more on streamlining and slipping through the water. Oh, and try to correct only one thing after another. ;o) Good luck.

Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc
Old 05-26-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by diotortorello View Post
Hi guys. Id like some tips on how I could improve my swim technique. Ive tried to do TI swimming by watching the internet videos.
Please help me, since I know I still have a lot to improve. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Im40xtluw
very nice overall timing. Try to swim a little flatter so your hips are not quite so "stacked" (Vertical towards the cieling). Also, don't kick with your thigh...the knee bend is slowing you down between each stroke.

Do several lengths where you pushoff wiht no kick and swim with no kick, let the legs draft. You'll feel less power in each stroke, but you'll also create less drag with each stroke.

Then addin a small "flick" of the toes to help initiate hip rotation and see what that feels like.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-12-2012

diotortorello

Thanks to all you guys with the tips! Looking forward to improving my swimming with them! Thanks again :D
Old 09-12-2012

tomoy

Adding to the good advice above: try to lead with your elbows, and dangle your hands below. Always keep your hands beneath your elbows.

Otherwise, good work, especially the kick timing - it's just bigger than it needs to be which is causing drag.