Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2014

daveblt
Default 2 beat kick balance

I was watching a video recently about balance in freestyle and it suggested that help find better balance you should keep your back straight and feel your legs pull on the glutes , pelvis and spine to help shift your weight more forward making you swim more horizontally and to keep the legs up, and I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned or thought of about the two beat kick as being an aid for balance ,but it does seem that when you are spearing in to the water and the leg on the same side is on the upbeat , the leg pulls a little on the glutes and pelvis and maybe the spine in the same way to help shift your weight more forward towards the center of buoyancy or gravity .Does this seem correct ?
I would like any thoughts on this .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 11-28-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2014

Talvi

Dave I read this as the kick is my most recent focus.

IMO the goal is for one leg to be dead straight and only one to move in a small flick-kick. I think the glutes, lower back etc will be stressed by keeping the leg still flat and pointy, especially at the start of doing this, as well as coming into play during the uplift of the leg that's about to kick.

My focus is on starting the main rotation (cued by gravity on recovery arm) with a small kick just before the hand enters the water.

2c

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov