Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Letting my SPL increase with Distance

4000 LCM at Nassau County Aquatic Center
I'm visiting my mom on Long Island so this morning I took the opportunity to swim at the Nassau County Aquatic Center, which is set up Long Course (50m course) on Wednesdays.

Swimming 4000 meters in a 50m pool was a bit of a stretch for me as, except for a week each of open water swimming in Hawaii in December and the Virgin Islands in Feb, i've averaged 2500y per week or less over the past five months.
Here's what I did
800 Tuneup @ 38 SPL. This was untimed, but I took my SPL as a starting point for a timed Pyramid set of repeats
4 x 100
2 x 200
1 x 400
1 x 800
1 x 400
2 x 200
4 x 100

I began with the intention of holding 38 SPL throughout the pyramid with a goal of minimizing loss of pace as distance increased, then try to increase pace as distances decreased, hoping to finish the set faster than I started.

But as I proceeded through the set I realized the minimal volume of swimming I've done this winter was making it hard to stay at 38 SPL. So I decided to allow myself one more stroke each time distance increased (max of 39 SPL on 200s, of 40 SPL on 400s, and 41 SPL on the 800).

My primary Focal Point was
Hold on the Catch (try to avoid pulling)
Use Hip Drive to move past my Hold.

Here's the set with my pace/100 noted
100s 1:49-1:50-1:49-1:49
200s @ 1:47
400 @ 1:46
800 @ 1:48
I averaged 40 SPL the rest of the way
400 @ 1:46
200s @ 1:39
100s 1:39-1:38-1:37-1:36

By allowing myself one more stroke each 50m each time distance increased, I was able to keep a lighter feel and avoid fatigue from lack of fitness. By keeping that increased stroke count -- and doing a more dynamic weight shift past my grip -- as distances decreased, I was able to really increase pace.

It wasn't easy though. I felt metabolically taxed on the last couple of sets.

Alan Perez did a variation of this on a set of 3 x 550. Same distance, but allowing SPL to rise to learn how much pace increase would result, while maintaining somewhat consistent effort. See his post here.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 04-02-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Love this set Terry, thanks.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-07-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

In 2000, I used my VCR to record Pieter van den Hoogenband setting a world record in 200m freestyle at the 2000 Olympics and analyzed it afterward. If I remember correctly, he added two strokes on each 50.

I also remember being rather startled to discover that his stroke rate wasn't any faster than stroke rates I was setting at the time. The difference, of course, was that he was getting a lot more distance out of each stroke!

Bob
Old 04-07-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
In 2000, I used my VCR to record Pieter van den Hoogenband setting a world record in 200m freestyle at the 2000 Olympics and analyzed it afterward. If I remember correctly, he added two strokes on each 50.

I also remember being rather startled to discover that his stroke rate wasn't any faster than stroke rates I was setting at the time. The difference, of course, was that he was getting a lot more distance out of each stroke!

Bob
I think I still possess a VCR tape of the same olympics.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-08-2014

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
4000 LCM at Nassau County Aquatic Center

Terry,
Sorry I missed ya! My 'project' has stalled a bit but am determined to push on. Will update soon...

Alan
P.S. hope all's well
Old 04-09-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I used this set Terry as a foundation for my masters practice tonight and it was outstanding.

Between the "opening drills" of skating & skate/3 strokes/skate, combined with a notehr warmup set of yours, alternating free & back and allowing 1 extra stroke on backstroke we had time for this "main set"

4 x 100
2 x 200
1 x 400
1 x 200
2 x 100

here's the thing...each person had SPL targets. As we did the first set of the main group I helped each person focus on a good rest interval, and in one case was able to add in a a target pace right away for the swimmer since his SPL was rock steady and it looked to me like he was swimming TOO slowly at that SPL (splaying legs and stalling to keep SPL low).

as we went to the 2 x 200s 1 person fell apart halfway through the first 100. He sat out the rest and did the 2nd 200 as 8 x 50 on 1:05, but still using the same SPL. He had success!

Person #2 was given a target pace for the 200 that was slightly faster than what he'd been doing, but still with the same SPL Cap. SUCCESS

Person #3 did 4 x 100 on a sendoff that was challenging and again with an SPL cap.

Persons 1 & 3 who I gave a send off time, rather than a target time, both started out too fast (I suspected the would) and had 15 seconds of rest before the next repeat...too much rest for them to get the benefit of this being an "endurnace focused" swim, so I coached them to ease up, allow some slower swimming but less rest so they could complete the set. This worked really well and they got better at pacing.

For the 400, Same story but I changed things up a little more for each swimmer...all still swimming a total of 400.

By this time each swimmer had a really good idea of their potential paces for the longer swims and all were holding onto their SPL.

On the way back down I gave swimmers 1 & 3 broken sets still, but faster sendoffs, hold SPL the same and aim for just 3-5 seconds rest on coming in.

Swimmer 2 got a faster target time but was able to hold his SPL again.

For the final set, it went 2 x 100 for swimmer 1, but this time he was given a target pace rather than a send off, person 2 got a send off rather than a pace and person 3 got a challenging sendoff for 8 x 25 while holding her SPL.

Person 3 actually set a PR for a 200 this way (4:06). Her 200 on the way up was 4:36 with the same SPL.

So all in all it was great and we got to structure performance oriented swimming all around each swimmer working in their own SPL range of 2-3 strokes.

thanks for the ideas with these set postings.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-10-2014
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

You're most welcome.
I'll continue posting most every practice I do. I started a thread, Terry's Training Log for OW Season (I probably should have called it Terry's Spring Training--a phrase we know from baseball)
I'll swim at Bard tomorrow and probably twice a week until I can begin swimming regularly outdoors in June. I'll post all there.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story