Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013

PanamaRed
Default Underwater Camera

Any recommendations for an underwater color video camera that will video swim strokes for later playback and evaluations.

I swim in a swim current pool (sort of like endless) and I would like to mount the camera to record during underwater drills.

Also, I would like something that is easy to connect to a computer or TV monitor, that would also be easy to email or send to YouTube etc.

I currently have a black and white camera that connects to a VCR, not really very good video.

Thanks

Bob
Old 12-16-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaRed View Post
Any recommendations for an underwater color video camera that will video swim strokes for later playback and evaluations.

I swim in a swim current pool (sort of like endless) and I would like to mount the camera to record during underwater drills.

Also, I would like something that is easy to connect to a computer or TV monitor, that would also be easy to email or send to YouTube etc.

I currently have a black and white camera that connects to a VCR, not really very good video.

Thanks

Bob
I think your best bet is a gopro video camera with its suction cup mount. That mount will stick to most smooth pool sides especially if there are big tiles. It also records in mp4 which is easily upload able to YouTube.
Old 12-18-2013

cpa_pfs

I have a GoPro also. But I don't tend to use it for swimming vids. I use my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone. I have it in a waterproof case made by Seidio.

I made a device out of pvc so that I can attach the phone and film 10" above the water or 10" below it. I start the camera and then swim the length of the pool and back.

The reason I really like the phone camera is that I can watch the vid right then. I can swim a few laps, working of something. Then film a lap. Stop, watch, analyze it. See what I need to adjust. Then swim more laps. Repeat. I can see if what I thought I was doing is what I actually did. I am a visual learner. And there is nothing better than immediate feedback.

The underwater view is so beneficial since most of the body is underwater. With the mount, the camera doesn't move. It stays suspended underwater. So when I watch it the movement is me swimming. Now touch phones won't respond to touch when they are underwater. But ... I start the vid ... then suspend it underwater ... since it is already doing an action (filming) it will continue to do so ... swim ... then lift it out of the water and turn off the vid. I can watch it right then.

Many in my Tri Club now use the camera and mount to film themselves. I then post everyone's vid to a private account on YouTube so that we can all study them. I watch mine 5 to 10 times ... stopping them ... studying various aspects. Also on YouTube I can edit it to slow motion. That, well that will really let you study what you are doing. Underwater filming has helped tremendously.

Last edited by cpa_pfs : 12-18-2013 at 03:22 PM.