Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009

BradMM

I swam an hour today and, if my admittedly slow pace was constant, that would be about 1.5 miles. I wasn't tired much at all. Maybe all those TI practice sessions paid off!

Brad
Old 08-30-2009

BradMM

Have been doing at least a mile, M-F, and enjoying it immensely!

A mile a day wasn't too much of a challenge. Wish I had more time during "lunch", I'd swim longer/farther.
Old 08-31-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Have been doing at least a mile, M-F, and enjoying it immensely!

A mile a day wasn't too much of a challenge. Wish I had more time during "lunch", I'd swim longer/farther.
Yea! Now swim faster! hehe
Old 08-31-2009

BradMM

I go by time because of time limitations and simplicity but I assume that my pace will pick up over time.
Old 08-31-2009

Jean Bury
Default Back problems and sig. other being "#1"

Hello,

I just swam 1.5 miles yesterday in open water--felt awesome, though I felt my stroke coming apart the last 3/4 mile--I just picked one thing to focus on, as fatigue from the cold (should have worn a wetsuit) was a player in it coming apart.

Anyway, I also suffer from chronic back issues--I have four slipped discs, one of then is badly herniated. I found that by not extending my underwater arm to its max, I felt less strain on my back. I have NO idea if this is good advice or proper, but I can relate to having back pain, even while swimming. I also have to focus on my core being engaged and strong. For whatever reason, slightly holding back on that underwater, forward arm has helped. For what it's worth....

Also, I can relate to your needing to be there first for your wife. I have two children with multiple disabilities, and I have to be there for them first, too. This means I can't work out the way I'd like and/or workouts get cancelled or cut short. It's hard, when you can see yourself improving and then must cut back for a while. So, that being said, you are definitely not alone in those issues.

Swim on--when you can

Jean
Old 08-31-2009

BradMM

Thanks, Jean!
Old 04-07-2012

BradMM

WOW, THREE YEARS LATER and my post is still on the FIRST PAGE!!!

I regularly swim at least a mile but I now have glass beads at the edge of the pool to help me count. I'm doing this because I'm participating in a swimming challenge thing so I want to he honest about my number of laps.

I reread the entire thread and the tempo trainer was mentioned. I think I'm going to buy one tonight but I'm not 100% confident it is right for me. A small issue is how to wear it. I read that it works best under your cap but I don't wear one. I want to clip it to my goggles.

I swim at one of two pools on our university campus and most of the young people are much faster than me. Part of me doesn't care because I'm doing my own thing but the other part wonders if this is simply a function of my age (about 3x greater than most of them!) or my technique! I thought the tempo trainer would help improve my time.

I also bought the "Turn the TI Way" but haven't used it much yet. I do think that would be helpful but I have to get over that initial hump. :-)

Brad
Old 06-21-2017

BradMM

Enjoyed rereading... swim a mile every time I swim now.
Old 06-22-2017
dk2943

Default Join the club

Welcome to the mile club. I have not been able to do it every day, but I do it 4 to 5 times per week. I started out doing a quarter mile and thought I was going to die, but I kept it up and kept on adding laps. I have been doing a mile for over a year.
My goal is to maintain a steady pace, and simply work on improving my form, style and speed. I
I feel terrific when I get out of the pool! For me, swimming boosts endorphins to the point that I almost feel high. Also, there is a true sense of accomplishment. I always have lots of energy.
By the way, I am 66 (67 this summer).
Old 06-22-2017

BradMM

Welcome to the mile club? I posted that in 2009! :-) I just rereading. Oh, and I'm only 63.