Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Fins and Toe Flexibility

Since I've been using fins, I've experienced some new sensations in my legs and feet. The most significant sensation is strain along my shins. It seems that the fins are causing my toes to bend more. If I sit in a chair and bend my toes, I get the same sensation in my legs.

From what I understand, flexible toes and/or ankles add to propulsion by allowing power to be applied rearward instead of downward. I can't imagine my ankles going beyond being in line with my legs. So now I'm thinking toes.

Is toe flexibility as important, if not more important, than ankle flexibility?

Another question is, is it bad for my feet and legs to work them too much in this way?

(I've been enjoying doing shooter drills.)
Old 01-17-2009

Rhoda

Any time you start doing something new, it's a good idea to ease into it to avoid strain and overuse. You need to start with small amounts and give your legs time to adapt.
Old 01-17-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
Any time you start doing something new, it's a good idea to ease into it to avoid strain and overuse. You need to start with small amounts and give your legs time to adapt.
I've been trying to hold myself back. I also try to wait until 15-30 minutes into the session before I use the fins. Maybe I just kick harder than I need to. I don't use the fins that long. Maybe 15 minutes total.

I realised something this morning. The strain is, more than likely, not from stretching but from tension. That might be a clue. Maybe I tense my toes too much when I kick, which takes away from their floppiness and reduces propulsion.
Old 01-18-2009

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Maybe I just kick harder than I need to.
To reiterate, keep you fin kick very light.

RadSwim
Old 01-18-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
To reiterate, keep you fin kick very light.
The buoyancy of the Zura Alpha fins seems to make it hard for me to do a light flutter when face down.

I think when I try to kick six times, I kick too fast. The fins slow me down, but I run out of pool pretty quick. So maybe I'm using too much force.

I feel that I need to develop a more dynamic 6-beat kick. I know to kick from the hip, but I also notice that the knees need to bend, especially if the toes/ankles don't bend a lot. While working on that, should I not use the fins?