Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010

Suddethb
Default Places to OW Swim near Washington, DC? PMF Buddy sought.

I'm skittish about swimming in water that I'd hesitate to rinse my mouth with, since I know I'll be getting some. I'm looking for nice OW swims within reasonable distances from DC. It can be events, or just good places that allow longer "safe" swims. I'm on the Maryland side of DC toward Annapolis. Any OW TI PMF swimmers out my way looking for a buddy?
Old 08-25-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddethb View Post
I'm skittish about swimming in water that I'd hesitate to rinse my mouth with, since I know I'll be getting some. I'm looking for nice OW swims within reasonable distances from DC. It can be events, or just good places that allow longer "safe" swims. I'm on the Maryland side of DC toward Annapolis. Any OW TI PMF swimmers out my way looking for a buddy?
Good on you to know your limitations about ow swimming. Swimming with a buddy is best for a newbie. I am not from the East Coast but I've been told to avoid the Potomac
Old 08-25-2010

KatieK

Hi Suddethb, congratulations on beginning to venture out into open water.

I don't have any specific advice for the D.C. area, but I do have some general suggestions:
1.) Your local triathlon club should be able to point you in the right direction. I am not a triathlete, but I joined a local club for just this reason. My local club organizes regular open water practice swims.
2.) Contact a Masters coach in your area. He/she should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 08-28-2010

Suddethb
Default Will Do!

I'm over my first, and looking for my second OW. Baby steps, one mile at a time...
Old 09-23-2010

sbechtel78
Default Open water swim near DC

I live in Pasadena MD - near Gibson Island on the Magothy River - it's a shallow river and I hate swimming in it especially after the jelly fish come in
-thus I swim at my boyfriend's in Edgewater. He lives on the water and I will practice in Pocahontas Creek (again when the Jelly fish are not around) - if you would like to contact me maybe we can work something out. He will usually get in the kayak and paddle along to make sure that any of the boaters coming in and out of the creek are aware of the fact that there are people in the water. I will swim from his pier to a neighbor's pier and turn around - it's roughly 365 yards one way (scoped with my golf range finder) - the water is at least 8 feet deep, thus you'll never touch bottom (unless you having some serious issues ).

You are welcome to contact me at any time to see if we can arrange things. My work e-mail address is smd39502@allstate.com. Take care.