Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010

Rhoda
Default Salt water swimming in Saskatchewan

Since moving to Saskatoon, my swimming has suffered a bit, as it isn't as easy to get to a pool. So, I wasn't hopeful about managing some open water, but did get a couple of swims in this summer

The first was at Waskesui, 2.5 hours drive north. I'd spent five days here a few years ago prior to my niece's wedding and learned a lot about dealing with waves and chop, so it was interesting to revisit it, even with a 2 hour bike ride in my legs before going in. When I got out, a woman stopped me on the beach and said "Where did you learn to swim like that? You're so smooth and you just go on forever!" So I told her about Total Immersion and how it had improved my swimming. Another possible convert to the cult ... BWAhahaha!

The second was this weekend where my better half was riding in the MS Bike Tour, at Manitou Beach on Little Manitou Lake. This is a small salt water lake in the middle of the prairies which the natives visited for it's healing properties for centuries. The hotel we stayed at normally would have filled their spa pool with a concentrated version of the water, but it was down indefinitely for repairs, so on the second day, I attempted a swim in the actual lake. The salts are mostly magnesium, so it's like a big murky epsom salt bath with the added protein value of brine shrimp.
I was sceptical about the level of saltiness until I actually got some in my mouth - yech, it's salt all right. My legs were right at the surface, as if I were wearing neoprene. If my swim cap hadn't crumbled to pieces as I put it on, I think I could have gone for a fairly lengthy swim, but it was a bit too chilly to go without. Good to know that I can train for Caribbean or Mediterranean swims when I'm about 2000 miles from the nearest sea water!
Old 08-22-2010

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
Since moving to Saskatoon, my swimming has suffered a bit, as it isn't as easy to get to a pool..... ~~~~~ ...Good to know that I can train for Caribbean or Mediterranean swims when I'm about 2000 miles from the nearest sea water!
Hi Rhoda,

Just the other day I was thinking we haven't heard from you lately. I trust all is well and you are just too busy ~~ life is getting in the way!

I am just back home from my first salt water swimming of the summer ... yes it is August 22! The posted temperature was 20C but that was only the top inch! I stayed in 45 minutes and was thoroughly chilled. I think you may be familiar with Queensland Beach (shown here: http://www.nsls.ns.ca/queensland-beach) as part of the Nova Scotia Lifeguard Service web site. For most of the summer the temperature has been between 12 an 17C but this weekend it reached 19 or 20C. So come east for some Atlantic Ocean cold salt water!

This site offers detailed information on many beaches of Nova Scotia under the NSLS care for the summer's duration. So if you are travelling this way and want beach location information this web site is a good source.

Mike
Old 08-28-2010

Rhoda

I'm not familiar with any Nova Scotia beaches, Mike. I last visited in 1983, when I wasn't a swimmer at all. Good to know for future reference, though.
Have you tried wearing 2 silicone caps? It really does keep a lot of heat in. And now that FINA has outlawed those rubberized swim skins like the B70 Nero, you can pick one up quite reasonably priced for a little extra warmth without added flotation.
Old 08-28-2010

naj
Default 19C are you freakin' kiddin' me??!!

Mike and Rhoda good to see you both back on the forums I wish I could get 19C down my way in San Francisco. Right now I am enjoying my warmest weather of the year 15C (60F), yes you read that right THE WARMEST!!! Man, I gotta get up to Canada and fast to take advantage of that sort of warm water swimming, or you two could come down my way and we can swim Alcatraz naked in 12C water (55F). Your call!

Naji
Old 08-30-2010

Mike from NS
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
...... or you two could come down my way and we can swim Alcatraz naked in 12C water (55F). Your call!

Naji
Naji,

Thanks for the invite to your cool water ... but I need the warmth !! That 19C was about the warmest at that beach this year however all this past week it has held at 18. During the summer it has dropped back to 12 and 14 or 15 at various times. Now with some hurricanes threatening to come this way, the beaches may see even warmer water for September!!! Late last September I was swimming at Queensland beach for about 45 minutes and measured the water temperature at 52F. The car heater was on full blast for the 40 minute drive home and I was still shivering when we got there!

A note about the beach site. The NSLS depends on students mostly for their life-guards. I think their season has concluded today or this week for sure. Therefore the beach water temperatures likely won't be posted any longer for this year. "Our" local outdoor pool closed today --- where the water temperature was kept at 28C!! It was absolutely lovely all summer ~ and several of us are going through withdrawal now!! All next week the air temperature is expected to be 30C but the pool is closed !

Thanks for the swim cap tip Rhoda! I may consider this and give it a try. Maybe it is time for another visit to the east!! You could stand in front of the Peggy's Cove web cam and wave to your friends back home!! That camera is like the camera in front of Duke's statue in Hawaii!! Are you going for a swim with Naji??

Mike