Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010

sasquatch
Default River Swimming Hazard!

If you ever find yourself on a leisurely swim Henry's Fork of the Snake River in Southeastern Idaho, remember to stay away from the islands in the river! Apparently the moose who wander up and down the river do not like it if you get too close to their resting spots. They can run pretty quickly in 3-4 feet deep water too. At least it wasn't a bear who thought I was an over-sized trout!

Other than that, thoroughly enjoyable "naked" swim up and down-stream for 2.5 hours in 55-58 degree water.
Old 08-09-2010

naj
Default Go Sasquatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
If you ever find yourself on a leisurely swim Henry's Fork of the Snake River in Southeastern Idaho, remember to stay away from the islands in the river! Apparently the moose who wander up and down the river do not like it if you get too close to their resting spots. They can run pretty quickly in 3-4 feet deep water too. At least it wasn't a bear who thought I was an over-sized trout!

Other than that, thoroughly enjoyable "naked" swim up and down-stream for 2.5 hours in 55-58 degree water.
Alright Sasquatch, way to take on Bullwinkle and his crew! 2.5 in 55-58 is very impressive. So when you coming down to San Francisco and taking a dip?

Naji
Old 08-09-2010

KatieK
Wink Need more details

Quote:

Okay, Sasquatch, this is enough content for a good movie trailer, but we need the whole story. How *exactly* did the moose express his/her displeasure? What did you do to mollify him/her?
Old 08-10-2010

sasquatch
Default more details

Naj - I'll have to figure out a trip schedule for some practice in the bay; will definitely let you know when I'm coming, but nothing planned for now. Swimming that long in colder water feels great, but I did need a hot drink and warm shower when I get back out on land (air temp was ~50 and the wind was blowing). I've got the 10k at Deer Creek this Saturday, water temp will probably be closer to 70. Hopefully the hail will stay away this year.

Katie - I didn't stick around long enough to discern whether the moose was displeased, simply annoyed or actually angry. At the sight of four hooves splashing out toward me I turned down stream, headed to the deeper water in the center of the river channel and upped my tempo substantially; may have actually held it below 0.9 for a short while, which is rare for me. He (I think it was a young bull, no antlers and definitely not full grown) seemed satisfied with my hasty retreat, didn't chase me too far away from the island, and went back to eating his breakfast. Not enough of a story for a full length movie, unless you want all the other details of the family reunion. The actual swimming highlight was my 7 yr old son jumping off the 25 ft bridge and swimming back to the bank unaided. Form needs some work but he's got a lot of time and already very comfortable in the water.
Old 08-10-2010

naj

Quote:
Naj - I'll have to figure out a trip schedule for some practice in the bay; will definitely let you know when I'm coming, but nothing planned for now. Swimming that long in colder water feels great, but I did need a hot drink and warm shower when I get back out on land (air temp was ~50 and the wind was blowing). I've got the 10k at Deer Creek this Saturday, water temp will probably be closer to 70. Hopefully the hail will stay away this year.
Good luck Sasquatch your gonna kill that race! As for coming down, of course, you'd stay at my house and can swim at Aquatic Park with me. In addition you can use my club's shower and sauna...that's right I said, 'sauna!'

I've got a 10K this weekend as well, though it is in jeopardy due to folks not willing to pilot and only want to swim. I hate when that happens and hope folks will step up and volunteer.

Keep Swimming!
Naji