Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018

WFEGb

Hello Dubdub,

great, seems you're on a TI-like Kaizen-way!

Just a tiny remark...

Quote:
I'd take a breath for every stroke.
Hope, I do misunderstand. You should breath every second stroke at least (same side), inhaling on the same side, take the other side when going back the lap.

Saw inhaling every stroke only with Terry and Sun Yang and only in exceptional situations (in races just after or before the turn). Breathing every stroke seems to be a science for itself, when you won't run into problems with balance and streamline...

Enjoy your successes.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 06-17-2018
dubdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Dubdub,

Hope, I do misunderstand. You should breath every second stroke at least (same side), inhaling on the same side, take the other side when going back the lap.

Best regards,
Werner
Thanks for your reply. Yes, every second stroke and not every stroke. The day after my breakthrough it was a bit of a struggle. I did manage to do a few full laps (25 yards) with no issues but on occasion i was out of breath. I'll continue to practice and report back on progress.
Old 06-20-2018
thaddeus.ward@gmail.com

Chris,
Breathing can be a challenge... so many factors psychological and physical.

I went through a phase where I suddenly couldn't breath despite not having any issues in the prior months as I was learning... still not totally sure what caused that, though I do have theories.

Sounds like you are exhaling effectively, which is the key action you can control while you are going through most of your stroke. As you suspect, when you exhale fully, inhaling comes naturally.

For me, it is critical that the breathing be fully integrated into the whole body role. I find that I start exhaling immediately after I take the breath but exhale with extra force as I lean into my catch.

Also, I don't know many people who can sustain consistent alternate side breathing for a long period. In the pool I switch sides every 3-4 strokes while in open water it depends much more on water conditions as well as how nervous I am. More nervous=shallower breathing=more time on each side.

I would try the following.
1) Do same side breathing for a couple of breaths on each side before switching
2) Start your swim trying to make it completely effortless no matter how slow you are going. Literally try to keep it the swim so light that you don't feel like you are exercising at all, and then slowly warm up.
3) Related to to 2, S-l-o-w d-o-w-n Try doing your stroke in super slow motion. This helps with overall mindfulness in every aspect of your stroke, but especially to be aware of breathing.

Have faith that it will come together. It is a wall that you will eventually fall through. (I don't thing pushing will do that.) Persistence, and awareness will get you there.