Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Band for Knees

Does anyone use a band or pull buoy to keep the knees closer together while practising the whip kick? What kind of band do you use? How close together is ideal?
Old 09-10-2010

AlMalika

Hi shuumai,

I know that this reply is a little bit late but I want to tell you what happened when I used a pull buoy.

1. I thought practicing with a pull buoy will keep my knees together so I can concentrate on my whip kick. For the first time it worked very well and only my lower leg was rotating. I thought I'm doing well with this and ignored minimal pain in my left knee after my workout. The more I practiced this way the more my knee problems were increasing. I still ignored it.

2. I put the pull buoy off and kept on going without it holding knees together as close as I could. Knee problems worsened. After hours of drilling this way I have a serious problem now with my knee.

What I want to tell you: See what knee width is best for you - as close together as possible isn't always the best thing. A little bit wider than "normal" can be ideal but never keep on going with pain. The pull bouy isn't a bad idea but see if it feels good.

I hope my late reply will help. Tell me how it's working. I need to skip breaststroke at the moment or I must practice with arms only because of my knee. I really got a serious problem after a long time holding my knees together like steel.

AlMalika
Old 09-10-2010

daveblt

That's funny, in the past I had always thought of using some sort of band around my legs when I did freestyle to keep them from splaying out too much.

Dave
Old 09-10-2010

AlMalika

@ daveblt

I definitely wouldn't do that. I think this imprints a wrong habit on your legs "mind".