Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010

sasquatch
Default Good, Bad & Ugly 10k #2

Was able to complete another 10k swim this past Saturday at Deer Creek reservoir near Orem, Utah. Fantastic weather this year, not a cloud in the sky. Air temps in the upper 80's and water temps in the low 70's. Could actually sight on Mt. Timponogos for a portion of the race which made it easier to keep my head down and still see over the few rolling waves when the boaters started to show up. I was able to complete the race nearly 10 minutes faster than before.

Now for the bad: felt tired near the end. Last year, even after battling the waves I was able to pick my pace up for the last 1/2 mile or so and finished feeling great. Maybe it just seemed easier last time because the wind had slowed and the water was at it's calmest since the beginning of the race. I think part of it may have been related to my feedings during the race. For whatever reason I drank Gatorade and tried using energy gel during the race (I never do that during practice sessions, just water occasionally). Had water on the boat, but never asked for it; stupid. After only 2 feeding stops (hour 1 and 2) my stomach felt horrible; bloated and heavy. No matter how I tried I couldn't keep my mind off the building pressure in my belly. The group of 4-5 swimmers I stayed with for the middle 5 k of the race kept getting further and further away from me. I looked at some photos my wife took near the finish line and I saw a number of flaws in my stroke. I think most problems were due more to lack of mental focus than physical fatigue. Has this happened to anyone else; any suggestions on what works for you during longer swims? I don't have a lot of experience with "endurance" racing type events or what/how I should eat during them (or training for that matter).

Lastly the ugly: not much to complain about, but if I had to pick something it would be the look I got from a wet-suited swimmer after I drafted off him for a short while before passing near the 5k buoy. I never bumped they guy and I might have done it longer if he would have been able to swim in a straight line. I don't think he saw me until I passed, but maybe he was just trying to get away from the hairy guy swimming at his hip. Oh well.

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2010

KatieK
Default Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
Was able to complete another 10k swim this past Saturday at Deer Creek reservoir near Orem, Utah. Fantastic weather this year, not a cloud in the sky. Air temps in the upper 80's and water temps in the low 70's. Could actually sight on Mt. Timponogos for a portion of the race which made it easier to keep my head down and still see over the few rolling waves when the boaters started to show up. I was able to complete the race nearly 10 minutes faster than before.

Now for the bad: felt tired near the end. Last year, even after battling the waves I was able to pick my pace up for the last 1/2 mile or so and finished feeling great. Maybe it just seemed easier last time because the wind had slowed and the water was at it's calmest since the beginning of the race.
Congratulations! I'm training for a 7K next month (actually 3 separate races with a few minutes in between). The only other race I've done was 2K in May, so you're way ahead of me. This article from Terry is my training bible; I read it a few times a week: http://www.swim-city.com/library.php3?id=121

It sounds like you might have started out at too fast a pace. Since you improved your time quite a bit under choppier conditions, I think your training regimen worked well. You may need to experiment to find out how slow you need to start to keep speeding up during the race. (There's a section titled "Plan your Pace" in the article I referenced.)

Quote:
I think part of it may have been related to my feedings during the race. For whatever reason I drank Gatorade and tried using energy gel during the race (I never do that during practice sessions, just water occasionally). Had water on the boat, but never asked for it; stupid. After only 2 feeding stops (hour 1 and 2) my stomach felt horrible; bloated and heavy. No matter how I tried I couldn't keep my mind off the building pressure in my belly.
I'm not very experienced with this, but it sounds like you didn't drink enough water with the energy gel. Those can be dehydrating. I'm starting to experiment with feeding now; hopefully that will prevent surprises on race day.

Quote:
I looked at some photos my wife took near the finish line and I saw a number of flaws in my stroke. I think most problems were due more to lack of mental focus than physical fatigue. Has this happened to anyone else; any suggestions on what works for you during longer swims? I don't have a lot of experience with "endurance" racing type events or what/how I should eat during them (or training for that matter).
I think anyone's stroke is going to degrade under fatigue. When I'm really tired, my lead arm crosses the center line which *never* happens any other time. I know I'm doing it because I get chafe marks where my arm brushes my suit. Hopefully, the more I practice the better my concentration gets so I can hold good form for longer distances and faster speeds.

Quote:
Lastly the ugly: not much to complain about, but if I had to pick something it would be the look I got from a wet-suited swimmer after I drafted off him for a short while before passing near the 5k buoy. I never bumped they guy and I might have done it longer if he would have been able to swim in a straight line. I don't think he saw me until I passed, but maybe he was just trying to get away from the hairy guy swimming at his hip. Oh well.
LOL. Probably that look didn't mean anything--I've noticed that swimmers can look menacing when really they're just tired.
Old 08-16-2010

splashingpat

sometimes it worth to get to the end of a long post!laughN while rollN on the floor!
poor hairy guy i hope it did n't drag him down 2 much....
Im sorry I do n't have any advice but to say I glad ya survive to make the post ya did!
Quote:
I never bumped they guy and I might have done it longer if he would have been able to swim in a straight line. I don't think he saw me until I passed, but maybe he was just trying to get away from the hairy guy swimming at his hip. Oh well.
Sorry for the long post.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I can only add:
experience it!...there is nothN that can take it place...is there?
i guess u will see UGLY!

Last edited by splashingpat : 08-20-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2010

naj
Default Feed Baby Feed!

Sasquatch,

Congratulations on a great race! I've done a few 10Ks and some other longer swims and the one thing I know for a fact is feeding is essential!

During training I would suggest feeding every 30-45 mns to refuel your body. I use GU Brew which has electrolytes in it to give me a boost. You can also get some gel packs and put them in your suit and feed off of during the race. Always remember that your body sweats even in water so keeping it hydrated is key and will reduce cramps as well.

You need to find what sort of feed works best for you water (in my opinion) is not enough so you need to replenish carbs, protein and electrolytes. There are times when i will go 90 minutes without any refuel to see what my body can take but then again, i don't race like you i do solo swims and can take all the time I wish in the race, but it is still good to see what your body can do without fuel and I think you found out.

Concerning your stroke, at times during a marathon swim (i.e 10K and above), you can lose focus on something. I try to concentrate on two things that need to be worked on and know the others are doing okay on a consistent basis. Right now the main thing is a 'soft hook' catch and on my recent 10K this past Saturday August 14th, i should have concentrated on it more

Still I did the swim in 90 minutes and had fun doing it and learned a lot from it. My main concern is that you feed during the race and keep it under 15 seconds (no lie!).

Again great job and keep it up buddy, I'll be seeing you here in San Fran swimming the Bridge to Bridge swim soon, another 10K.

Naji
Old 08-17-2010

lanceryoung

Super fast Naji. I can not walk a 10K in 90 minutes.
Old 08-17-2010

sasquatch
Default thanks

thanks all for the advice, if I actually raced/watched the clock more than once a year I'd probably have some of this figured out already.

Katie - conditions were actually much better this year compared to last, that's part of why I was disappointed to have only improved by the 8-10 minutes I did. I don't think I went out too fast (first 2500 was my slowest of the race) but thanks for the info on pacing, I will have a better plan and be better prepared next time.

Naji - ask any of my dry land friends and they'll have to think hard to remember a time that they haven't seen me shoving something in my mouth. The folks I see at the pool are accustomed to a different version of me though as I usually go 80-90 minutes of practice without any food/drink. Still not sure what possessed me to switch it up so much during the race. I was not aware that those gels could dehydrate you; I was expecting an energy boost, but none came. Probably because it was all sitting in my gut waiting for some water for transport to my muscles. I have developed a good kick-stretch for my calves that allows me to maintain my stroke rate with a 2BK. I know it slows me down slightly, but I don't always have to stop to stretch anymore.

lanceryoung - Correct me if I'm wrong Naji, but I think your 10k was current aided? at least a portion of it anyway. 90 min for a 10k works out to about 54 sec/100 m. I think the men's 10k champ from the 2008 Olympics finished in ~112 minutes (1m 7sec/100m). I'm not trying to make Naji feel slow, but that's a pace that I think most mere mortals would not be able to keep up for 10k. If Naji is getting that fast he'd better keep a fire extinguisher on board for the Cook Straight crossing!

Last edited by sasquatch : 08-17-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2010

naj

Quote:
lanceryoung - Correct me if I'm wrong Naji, but I think your 10k was current aided? at least a portion of it anyway. 90 min for a 10k works out to about 54 sec/100 m. I think the men's 10k champ from the 2008 Olympics finished in ~112 minutes (1m 7sec/100m). I'm not trying to make Naji feel slow, but that's a pace that I think most mere mortals would not be able to keep up for 10k. If Naji is getting that fast he'd better keep a fire extinguisher on board for the Cook Straight crossing!
LOL you got me Sasquatch yes it was current assisted Sorry I didn't mean to lead anyone astray. I'm no speed burner lanceryoung, in fact I'm trying to develop speed for The Cook Strait which goodness knows I'll need come March 2013!