Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010

Alex-SG
Default TI Drills before OPEN WATER race

Today I participated in an Open Water Swim (1MILE=1,650m) and managed to swim in 38min (2 minutes faster than my previous two attempts in NOV and in FEB).

Same place, same conditions, no training at all.

What made the difference?

1. Stretching before the race
2. 20 minutes of multiple zen switch drills prior to the start. Gave me a "good feeling of rotation" + "proper catch"

If you also have a "NEW, NON-AUTOMATIC TI stroke", I recommend you try this before a race. The DRILL will prepare your body to swim in the proper way. ALEX
Old 03-19-2010
dinah

great work and great advice!

dinah
Old 03-20-2010

motkin
Default Muscat 4K

Hi Alex, good job-was that part of the palm island challenge? I am going to shoot for the 7k in Spetember. If you are interested, we have a 4k here in Muscat middle of May. From Fahal Island (aka Shark Island). Its a nice time, I did it last year with swimming snorkel and am going to do it this year without.
[B
Old 03-20-2010

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by motkin View Post
Hi Alex, good job-was that part of the palm island challenge? I am going to shoot for the 7k in Spetember. If you are interested, we have a 4k here in Muscat middle of May. From Fahal Island (aka Shark Island). Its a nice time, I did it last year with swimming snorkel and am going to do it this year without.
[B
Hello Motkin,
Yes the MINA MILE (1,650m) takes place by the beach. But the longer distance (6.5Km) goes through the world famous Palm Jumeirah. If one day I am fit enough I will go for it. Today it is really a race for good swimmers (I think the last guy comes in in 2h20min).

I have heard about the OMAN 4K race. If I am not mistaken you are on an island off Muscat and have to swim back to shore 4Km. Must be exciting but a bit too long for me considering my lack of training time.

ALEX (@Dubai)
Old 03-20-2010

Alex-SG

By the way, for those who think TI Swimmers are SLOWER...

In my Open Water Race (1.650m) I started at the back and for the first 1000m of the race was pretty much on my own still at the back. In the last 650m I passed about 5 people.

I guess those non-TI swimmers run out of steam while we (Efficient TI guys) still have energy left

ALEX
Old 03-21-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
By the way, for those who think TI Swimmers are SLOWER...

In my Open Water Race (1.650m) I started at the back and for the first 1000m of the race was pretty much on my own still at the back. In the last 650m I passed about 5 people.

I guess those non-TI swimmers run out of steam while we (Efficient TI guys) still have energy left

ALEX
Great job alex. I had the same (similar) experience swimming next to the masters in the lane next to me. The lane leader and I pushed off together. I'd just fnished a stroke counting pyramid set with the tempo trainer, and my strokes were consistent with each lap.

So when she and I stayed together for the first 50, then I pulled far, far ahead of her on the 2nd 50... I knew my pace had stayed the same, whereas hers had significatly slowed from the start.

First time I've experienced that perfectly...she who slows down the slowest (or not at all) wins.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 03-24-2010

Alex-SG

Quote:
[B
MOTKIN: Is this 4Km race happening this year in OMAN?
Is there a WEB site or an email address to register? I have a friend who lives in Muscat and who may be interested to enter. Thanks. ALEX (@Dubai)
Old 05-13-2010

motkin
Default Shark Island Swim

Hi All, just want to thank everyone on this forum for contributing to my TI improvement. I read the post updates everyday and they reinforce what Ive gotten out of the DVD and drills! I finished the 4K Fahal Island swim today here in Oman in 2 hours and 1 minute(would have broke 2hrs but ran in to current the last Km or so). I did it last year as well with a swimmers snorkel and was over 3 hours. June of last year I couldnt swim a length of the pool breathing without the snorkel.

Alex- Palm swim in Septemeber?

Thanks to all,
Tom
Old 06-16-2010

splashingpat
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Hi All, just
want to thank everyone on this forum for contributing to my TI improvement.
I read the post updates everyday and they reinforce what Ive gotten out of the DVD and drills!
I finished the 4K Fahal Island swim today here in Oman in 2 hours and 1 minute (would have broke 2hrs but ran in to current the last Km or so).
I did it last year as well with a swimmers snorkel and was over 3 hours. June of last year I couldn't swim a length of the pool breathing without the snorkel.

Alex- Palm swim in September?

Thanks to all,
Tom
I had a difficult time learning to mouth breath with a snorkel

thanks for the POST!
PAT
Old 07-27-2010

Jean Bury
Red face Keep listing to the right while speeding up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
Today I participated in an Open Water Swim (1MILE=1,650m) and managed to swim in 38min (2 minutes faster than my previous two attempts in NOV and in FEB).

Same place, same conditions, no training at all.

What made the difference?

1. Stretching before the race
2. 20 minutes of multiple zen switch drills prior to the start. Gave me a "good feeling of rotation" + "proper catch"

If you also have a "NEW, NON-AUTOMATIC TI stroke", I recommend you try this before a race. The DRILL will prepare your body to swim in the proper way. ALEX
I will give this a try. I am preparing for a 1 mile swim race in Whiskeytown, CA in mid-September. I did a practice swim the other day of about 3/4 of a mile in Castle Lake, and did drills the first 10 minutes, and then tried to focus on speeding up a bit. My husband, my faithful watcher, said that after speeding up, I began listing to the right.

What was up?? I recall feeling my stroke fall apart a bit, so I'd slow down for a few, but as I fatigued, I kept listing right.

Any thoughts??

Jean