Old 06-21-2016
jboosted92

Default The "inhale"

As I get a little Better in various aspects of my freestyle

Something I identified

1. My roll to air isn't perfect but adequate 80% of the time
2. I notice my INhale is

A. Still a bit panicked
B. I "think" I am taking Waaay to big of a breath as if I'm gasping for air...thus.
C. B may be causing me to hold my breath ever slightly causing me issues and thus making a 25Meter length still a struggle

My legs/hips/head all seem adequate

Any drills/suggestions?
Old 06-21-2016
ScoopUK

How frequently are you breathing? How much pause-and-glide are you putting in your strokes? I find too slow a stroke rate and my breathing isn't adequate enough to be comfortable, even breathing every 2nd stroke. Try shortening your stroke (sacrilege I know) and take more strokes to help with your breathing rhythm. You can always lengthen it out and slow the rate down as you get more metabolic efficiency. If you feel like missing one breath would be disastrous and have your body screaming for air you should definitely breath more frequently.

If you breath every 3 currently you could try every 2 to the left one lap, then to the right on the next lap or another pattern like 2-2-3-2-2-3... or every 3 in the middle of the lap, every 2 in and out the wall.
Old 06-21-2016
ScoopUK

... forgot to say... a problem my coach identified with me was I wasn't being patient enough with my leading hand as I turned to breathe. In turn my breathe was hurried and I was lifting up my head. Focus on keeping that hand out in front as you turn to breathe so your 'laser beam' remains straight and it feels nice and balanced. You could try something like catch-up drill or the TI skate drill. The superman glide is good too.

Maybe: superman glide a few times to find that sense of balance, then skate drill turning effortlessly to breathe (its an exaggerated over-rotation but should feel balanced and easy). Once you feel alright with that do a few repeats of a catch-up style drill being patient with that lead hand.
Old 06-22-2016
jboosted92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopUK View Post
... forgot to say... a problem my coach identified with me was I wasn't being patient enough with my leading hand as I turned to breathe. In turn my breathe was hurried and I was lifting up my head. Focus on keeping that hand out in front as you turn to breathe so your 'laser beam' remains straight and it feels nice and balanced. You could try something like catch-up drill or the TI skate drill. The superman glide is good too.

Maybe: superman glide a few times to find that sense of balance, then skate drill turning effortlessly to breathe (its an exaggerated over-rotation but should feel balanced and easy). Once you feel alright with that do a few repeats of a catch-up style drill being patient with that lead hand.
Yah, I do feel my lead hand at times going down ...

I'll be testing again tomorrow
Old 06-23-2016
jboosted92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopUK View Post

Solo lead hand could definitely "stay out longer" but even when I tested "gliding" which kept my lead out, breathing by the end of the 25 was tough

Conclusions

1. Going slow , I get the 25m but still out of breath a bit
2. Going fast , I get the 25m but still out of breath
3. Even when balanced , out of breath

I know some have had "fear" of deep water, well I'm training in 4 foot. I'm thinking "'maybe" it's cause when I'm in freestyle I'm constantly "sinking" I "feel" the feeling of "better keep moving or your gonna sink"

I can float on my back, but it's gotta be "tension/fear".... Even though I'm not really scared! Subconscious ?? I've seen some
Folks say this was their issue with breathing but seems weird

Should
I train only in a 7-9 foot lane and see if I react different ?

Any thoughts appreciated
Old 06-23-2016
jboosted92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
Solo lead hand could definitely "stay out longer" but even when I tested "gliding" which kept my lead out, breathing by the end of the 25 was tough

Conclusions

1. Going slow , I get the 25m but still out of breath a bit
2. Going fast , I get the 25m but still out of breath
3. Even when balanced , out of breath

I know some have had "fear" of deep water, well I'm training in 4 foot. I'm thinking "'maybe" it's cause when I'm in freestyle I'm constantly "sinking" I "feel" the feeling of "better keep moving or your gonna sink"

I can float on my back, but it's gotta be "tension/fear".... Even though I'm not really scared! Subconscious ?? I've seen some
Folks say this was their issue with breathing but seems weird

Should
I train only in a 7-9 foot lane and see if I react different ?

Any thoughts appreciated

See attachment... Good idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-24-2016
ScoopUK

I can't read the attachment. Not sure if that's because I'm on my phone or the forum has compressed it
Old 07-23-2016
keithbowden

Hi, I'm new to swimming but have managed to get the breathing working correctly.

It certainly took a while but some key things that got breathing to work for me were:
1. Hang the head and always look down at the bottom
2. When rotating from side to side, allow the recovery arm shoulder come up over the surface, then the arm and then just before hand re-enters the water rotate the head back down with the body i.e. try to keep the head body aligned at all times.
3. When the head was rotated with the body feel like your head is resting on the water (kept aligned) and "see" the side of the pool your face is facing.

Needless to say I had to ensure my fill of swallowing water as my timing was poor at the start but eventually it came right. I use to try just rotating the head to the side to ensure I could see the side of the pool I was facing and NOT take any breath... and this with mouth open.

Whatever above slowing your strokes down you certainly have longer to take a breath than is thought! I also tried counting - as my head was breaking the surface 1 and 2, when I heard myself say 2 then I rotated back down into the water.

Doing this has eventually got me feeling very comfortable now.

Mind you, at the very beginning I had an AHA moment when I realised in 4 foot of water I couldn't drown (unnecessary panic) as all I had to do was stand up!