Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2016
jboosted92
 
Posts: n/a
Default Exhaling

So as per many, breathing is by far my number 1 issue....

here is what I identified.

1. I have a good lung capacity, so theortically i could probably stroke about 12 times breathing out slowly. ( i know not good)

Should i be exhaling 100% through nose? 50% nose/mouth....having trouble figuring out whats best, as i work towards fixing my exhale/inhale issue

thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2016
michaelmarshall5030
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
Should i be exhaling 100% through nose? 50% nose/mouth....having trouble figuring out whats best, as i work towards fixing my exhale/inhale issue

thank you
From personal experience, I have found that breathing out of my nose and mouth at the same time creates problems when rolling to get my next breath because water tends to enter my mouth even though I am exhaling with my lips slightly pursed (complete open mouth exhaling is impossible for me). It merely is a mechanics problem with me, as much as some folks can do it. Because exhaling with my nose and mouth is not possible, I now strictly breath out of my nose. I am only relaying my personal experience, but in the end it is what you feel comfortable doing without taking in water while exhaling efficiently.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2016
CoachBobM CoachBobM is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 647
CoachBobM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
So as per many, breathing is by far my number 1 issue....

here is what I identified.

1. I have a good lung capacity, so theortically i could probably stroke about 12 times breathing out slowly. ( i know not good)

Should i be exhaling 100% through nose? 50% nose/mouth....having trouble figuring out whats best, as i work towards fixing my exhale/inhale issue

thank you
I breathe in through my mouth and out through my nose.

But I'm not clear from your post what your issue is with breathing. What problems are you encountering?


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2016
jboosted92
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
I breathe in through my mouth and out through my nose.

But I'm not clear from your post what your issue is with breathing. What problems are you encountering?


Bob
Thanks Bob...

well i guess im not 100% sure, but here are the facts...

1. When i exhale in teh water, blowing out through my mouth, if i slowly blow out, i literrally probably have 6-7 strokes. cant be good

2. Article after article, "breath out with your face in the water, until you turn your head and ready for air. Well, the moment you blow out "completely" your head better be turned for air , otherwise you either are
a. Holding your breath until your mouth surfaces...not good
b. sucking down water ...not good

maybe im not reading that direction right

3. mentally when i turn my head most times, im then "lifting" before placing back down, and thus halting my momentum...

4. Out of breath....even when i get a good breath, by the time the next stroke comes, i feel out of braeth/tense....

i may be going to fast, but i feel like if im going slow, i sink.....

*RIDICILOUSLY FRUSTRATED*

Tomorrow i try my FInis front snorkel, hoping i can get a great stroke, to do the following:

1. Identify if im out of breath even when i CAN breath...

2. Perfect my balance, stroke etc...so breathing becomes only issue..

as a sidenote, im 6 foot 180, 8-9% bodyfat, and outside hte pool, in GREAT shape, muscalarly and cardio
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2016
CoachBobM CoachBobM is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 647
CoachBobM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
1. When i exhale in teh water, blowing out through my mouth, if i slowly blow out, i literrally probably have 6-7 strokes. cant be good
It sounds like you're deciding when to breathe based on when you finish exhaling. Most of us do it the other way around. If, for example, I decide to breathe every 3rd stroke, I time my rate of exhalation so that I finish emptying my lungs just as I complete my 3rd stroke.

Quote:
2. Article after article, "breath out with your face in the water, until you turn your head and ready for air. Well, the moment you blow out "completely" your head better be turned for air , otherwise you either are
a. Holding your breath until your mouth surfaces...not good
b. sucking down water ...not good

maybe im not reading that direction right
Again, it's a matter of timing your rate of exhalation based on how frequently you want to breathe.

Quote:
3. mentally when i turn my head most times, im then "lifting" before placing back down, and thus halting my momentum...
What is causing you to lift your head?

Quote:
4. Out of breath....even when i get a good breath, by the time the next stroke comes, i feel out of braeth/tense....
Do you mean when the next stroke comes, or when you've finished the next 6-7 strokes? It sounds like you're exhaling too slowly and consequently not breathing as often as you need to.

Quote:
i may be going to fast, but i feel like if im going slow, i sink.....
Going too fast isn't usually something swimmers consider to be a problem. They just go to the Olympics and win gold medals. ;-) Do you mean that you think you may be stroking too fast?


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2016
novaswimmer novaswimmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 228
novaswimmer
Default

'...if i slowly blow out, i literrally probably have 6-7 strokes...'

Are you saying you only breathe every 6 to 7 strokes? No wonder you are getting out of breath!


'...Out of breath....even when i get a good breath, by the time the next stroke comes, i feel out of braeth/tense...'


So, here you mention you are out of breath even when the NEXT stroke comes.

Not understanding your breathing sequence.

Can you try breathing every other stroke first and see how that works for you? For example breathe on the right side, every other stroke, going one lap, then breathe on the left going the next lap.

If that is too often, then try every third stroke. Or switch 'every other' to 'every third' as needed.

'Different strokes for different folks' as they say! I usually exhale slowly thru my nose, but save just enough air to blow the remainder out thru nose just as my mouth reaches air to breath -- sort of like a breaching whale (but on a smaller scale!). This helps me keep the water out of my nose. Then I grab a quick mouthful of air (thru mouth) and immediately turn my face down again. It seems to work for me, but it took two years to get to where I am today. It was NOT a quick learning process.

Last edited by novaswimmer : 05-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2016
jboosted92
 
Posts: n/a
Default

UPDATE:

ok

So i took the Finis Freestyle unit to the pool this time. Initial result was surprising, i did a full lenght (25 meters ) even with breathing through the unit, i was still kinda winded!! i was like WTF, how can i be winded even if i am breathing. I noticed my legs felt heavy/stressed.

A older gentleman was in the lane next to me, and i explained to him my troubles, so he had me do a few strokes, (without the finis) and here is what he noticed..

A. My Legs were WAY to far down.....
B. My arms/stroke was off a bit. I wasnt "reaching" enough, and my catch alignnment was "off"
C. He suggested "pushing chest down" to elevate hips ( clearly i thought i was in past, but may have forgetten to "Stick with it"

After that, i "really" tried to reach forward, and WOW, i went about 15 meters further than usual ( now bear in mind, i wasnt thinking about breathing at this point) very focused on reach. He also noticed i wasnt "rolling" properly , and that could be creating drag.

Of course by the time this all happened i was pretty beat, but here is my plan for tomorrow. Let me know if this sounds good....


1. Use the reach to really start disciplining my body roll (treat like a canoe instead of a barge)
2. Consciensly push my chest down thus causing my legs to be higher. I really could feel the drag with the Finis....i thought it might be oxygen related but it could really feel "tiredness" in my legs after 1 lap...does that make sense?

Any tips on how to "time" the stroke with my exhale. I tried a bit today, but maybe too dum dum to figure out .... "3rd stroke, finish breath...etc.." Should i just try every right arm stroke? seems like a lot for me.. ( by alot meaning,..ill be breathing like a Lamas class)

Any advice? concerns?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2016
jboosted92
 
Posts: n/a
Default

another update:

1. R-E-L-A-X.

I swear when im in the pool, i am relaxed, but last night ( while online looking for help) and pretty much every night for past week, i am "CONSUMED" about fixing this problem...i notice i started to "very lightly" hyperventilate! HAHAH...imagine that...just thinknig about fixing this problem, and i start to have braething issues :) :)

I have always been a high energy person ( i do everything 100%), but also very obessive/consumed when i have a hurdle....

any advice on THIS issue?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-26-2016
CoachBobM CoachBobM is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 647
CoachBobM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
A older gentleman was in the lane next to me, and i explained to him my troubles, so he had me do a few strokes, (without the finis) and here is what he noticed..

A. My Legs were WAY to far down.....
B. My arms/stroke was off a bit. I wasnt "reaching" enough, and my catch alignnment was "off"
C. He suggested "pushing chest down" to elevate hips ( clearly i thought i was in past, but may have forgetten to "Stick with it"

After that, i "really" tried to reach forward, and WOW, i went about 15 meters further than usual ( now bear in mind, i wasnt thinking about breathing at this point) very focused on reach. He also noticed i wasnt "rolling" properly , and that could be creating drag.

Of course by the time this all happened i was pretty beat, but here is my plan for tomorrow. Let me know if this sounds good....


1. Use the reach to really start disciplining my body roll (treat like a canoe instead of a barge)
2. Consciensly push my chest down thus causing my legs to be higher. I really could feel the drag with the Finis....i thought it might be oxygen related but it could really feel "tiredness" in my legs after 1 lap...does that make sense?

Any tips on how to "time" the stroke with my exhale. I tried a bit today, but maybe too dum dum to figure out .... "3rd stroke, finish breath...etc.." Should i just try every right arm stroke? seems like a lot for me.. ( by alot meaning,..ill be breathing like a Lamas class)

Any advice? concerns?
The two things that affect whether your hips are sinking are:

1) Your head position: Have you relaxed your head into the water with your nose pointing down?

2) The position of your leading arm: You want the wrist of your leading arm to be lower than your shoulder and you want your palm turned down and your fingertips angled slightly down. You need to experiment with how low your leading arm needs to be to bring your hips up so they're level with your shoulders.

In freestyle, you want to be going back and forth between your skate position on one side and your skate position on the other side. The switch drills in the TI training materials (spearswitch, swingswitch, overswitch) are designed to teach you to coordinate your body roll with your armstroke and recovery, and to perfect your catch. A lack of body roll doesn't really create drag - you will just end up relying purely on arm strength instead of drawing on your core body to power your stroke.

Breathing every 3rd stroke is definitely better than breathing every other stroke, provided that you are getting enough air, since this will force you to alternate breathing sides, thereby making your stroke more symmetric. If you find that you're not getting enough air that way, another alternative is to breathe on your right side on one length of the pool and breathe on your left side on the next length, and so on.


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2016
daveblt daveblt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 820
daveblt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post

. If you find that you're not getting enough air that way, another alternative is to breathe on your right side on one length of the pool and breathe on your left side on the next length, and so on.
Bob

You can also breathe to the left halfway down, take 3 strokes and breathe to the right the other half .

Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.