Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017

andyinnorway
Default Kick Efficiency

After 6 years of counting strokes almost every length, I realised today I've never tested/counted my kick.

Whilst I don't want to start doing long fitness kick sets I'd like to get a more efficient kick so today I counted using my fingers on the float in groups of ten.

my baseline results were
tt 0.3
1 kick per beat.

25m start kicking on beat 4.

105 kicks!!!

I'm going to do a 4 week focus project on foot flexibility and then remeasure with 4x25m kick sets per session.
Old 02-11-2017

s.sciame

hi Andy, 105 is not bad imho. So did you complete the length in 32-33s? Not bad again, given the relatively slow kick rate.

I like to count kicks in groups of 3 as if I was counting strokes: in a 6bk you take 3 kicks per stroke, so I'd do your test with TT=0.9, doing 3 kicks per beep and counting 35 beeps. In these terms, those 105 kpl (kicks per length) are worth 35spl. I'm sure you'd take less than 35spl even if carrying a boat behind you. That's how weak our kick is.

The good thing is that when increasing kick rate, kick length remains pretty stable, so you usually go faster. Did you try this? Unlike the stroke, where you may lose grip as stroking faster, with kick as long as you keep it narrow the faster you kick the faster you go.

Kick sets are boring. But I still have to find a good kicker which is not a good swimmer as well.

Salvo
Old 02-11-2017

andyinnorway

I counted it as 35 too but didn't want to explain the math so just wrote 105 :)

I was filmed last week for the first time in years and was amazed high stiff and perpendicular my feet still look, which is why I fancied the little experiment.

I've also got access to regular filming now so should get some comparisons after the 4 week test.
Old 02-11-2017

Zenturtle

How far can you point the feet now Andy?
I have been stretching for a long time now and still are 20 degrees off from having the top of foot in line with the shin when pointing the feet.
Good swimmers/kickers often are 20 degrees on the other side of the shinline.
Another biggie is having enough hip flexor range of movement.

You must make sure you dont change your amplitude in aspiring for the lowest kick count, otherwise you end up with a breaststroke kick ;-)

If you like to use toys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyVa4k1sRyQ

Last edited by Zenturtle : 02-12-2017 at 06:23 PM.