Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2016
Brooke25

Default Out of breath

Hi I am new to this forum and new to swimming. I am training for a sprint triathlon. I bought a snorkel and I absolute love it! It has helped my form and am able to work on my stroke. I can swim 30 to 45 minutes at a nice easy pace and it feels like I could go longer! I feel that I am getting my endurance built up. I have been doing this about a month. Now when the snorkel comes off I am a whole different person. I start out with great form and make myself relax and go slow. Then I am out of breath. While doing my right stroke I lean my body, turn my face and take a breathe go back face first in the water and have to breathe agin in 2 strokes now I am totally out of breath. I feel like I don't have time to inhale as much air as I need to. When using the snorkel you can breathe as often as you want. I don't understand why I run out of breath so quickly. It not that I am not in shape it's like I don't have enough time to breathe in what I need. Any suggestions???
Old 07-25-2016

WFEGb

Hello Brooke25,

Welcome in the Forum!

Too less information about your stroke for detailed hints. But three thoughts FWIW:

- You build up some tenison anywhere in your body and your breathing is not as relaxed as it should be. (This seems to be the most common issue...)

- As you suppose, your rhythm of breathing or your breathing pattern doesn't fit your needs. (Have in mind, you must have exhaled enough to get enough fresh air in with a short sip, and as Terry says, you can't inhale too early...)

- What happens if you force yourself to breathe in rhythm only every third or second stroke with stable head while using the snorkl?

Enjoy your strokes and best regards,
Werner
Old 07-26-2016

novaswimmer

Several ideas:

1) it could be that your stroke is inefficient, perhaps due to extra drag from improper posture in the water (dropping legs, for example). And perhaps you are compensating by stronger arm strokes or a scissors kick. This can surely lead to early tiring and the need for more air. Without a video of your stroke we can only speculate.

2) Perhaps you are over-rotating causing your body to sink and therefore not able to reach air for a sufficient inhale. Or your arms are not on 'parallel' tracks with your body and are crossing over making you off-balance.

3) Perhaps you are not exhaling completely underwater between strokes and therefore don't have enough room for fresh air -- and holding in too much CO2.

4) Kick is too agressive, or perhaps bending at the knees too much creating more drag..

5) Bending at the waist during the stroke, and not presenting a hydrodynamic 'fishlike' presentation in the water, creating too much drag.

....there could be any number of reasons, and again, without a video of your stroke it would be really hard to speculate.

At this point I don't think your snorkel is helping you at all. Everything changes when you have to breathe correctly in Freestyle (vs snorkel). So you will have to relearn balance, timing, technique, etc. I'm a newbie swimmer and breathing took me a little under two years to get comfortable, after pretty much figuring the strokes. (!).

'....have to breathe agin in 2 strokes now I am totally out of breath...'

I am not understanding this statement. Are you saying you are out of breath after 2 strokes? So, are you breathe every other stroke or every third stroke?

Sounds like a balance/technique issue to me. Swimming is SO technique-oriented. Try breathing more frequently, while working on balance. Once proper balance is achieved, try TI's approach to breathing...nod, etc. But always go back to the basics of balance.

Last edited by novaswimmer : 07-26-2016 at 11:16 PM.