Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

So i thought I would deliver an update to all you beautiful swim people.

AT the time of my last update, my planned session #6 was this:

Quote:
5 x 4x 50 at each tempo, targeting 18/19 SPL for each:
Set 1 1.00
Set 2 1.03
Set 3 1.00
Set 4 0.97
Set 5 1.00
I got to our Total Immersion Tri Siwm camp down in Cleremont, FL and headed to the pool with Coach Dinah the night before camp started. We did a fun warmup together and then I embarked on this set.

I started to have some neck discomfort right away, esp with breathing to the left. It was frustrating and I kept at it for awhile trying to pay attention to what was happening, and had coach Dinah take a look at what was going on as well. After a couple hundred yards I knew it just wasn't working so I just enjoyed swimming easily, giving Dinah some feedback and enjoying the gorgeous florida pool.

That was the beginning of a two week trip away from home for me, and it was fairly stressful on my spine. I spent a lot of my energy just maintaining my comfort...doing my basic exercises, moving easily in the pool and coaching up to 4 hours a day...hard on the spine to be bending over talking to swimmers, pacing on concrete, educating in between...

I had two additional truly amazing swims which I'll detail in the next post and let you know where I am at the present time.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-09-2016

jenson1a

Coach Suzanne

Were you swimming in a 50 meter pool? The reason I ask is that I am about the same height and weight as you, but I have several more years on me than you. I have about the same spl as you do for 2 lengths, but my time is 2 to 4 seconds higher than what you have posted for your times. What was your tempo and how does dps come into play?

Sherry
Sherry
Old 04-11-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Coach Suzanne

Were you swimming in a 50 meter pool? The reason I ask is that I am about the same height and weight as you, but I have several more years on me than you. I have about the same spl as you do for 2 lengths, but my time is 2 to 4 seconds higher than what you have posted for your times. What was your tempo and how does dps come into play?

Sherry
Sherry

I didn't do many times sets in the 50m pool, but this set was in a 25yd pool. I've posted my spl, tempos and times for most of these sets. Dps is the inverse of spl
Im not sure what information you are looking for.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-11-2016

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I didn't do many times sets in the 50m pool, but this set was in a 25yd pool. I've posted my spl, tempos and times for most of these sets. Dps is the inverse of spl
Im not sure what information you are looking for.
What I was looking for was if my spl is the same as yours for 2 lengths, why are my times 2 to 4 seconds higher than yours? Maybe I take longer on the turns than I realize or could it be something else?

Sherry

Last edited by jenson1a : 04-11-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Need to add that my question was related to post #31
Old 04-11-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Turn time may account for part. Tempo is also likely an explanation. Suzanne can complete a length of the pool in the same SPL as you, but at faster stroke frequency.

A simple Tempo comparison will tell you precisely the difference--and the tempo gap you must narrow to swim at her SPL and pace.

I had a little private Tempo contest with myself this morning. See Set #3.

You and Suzanne could agree on a repeat distance, # of repeats, and tempo range, and compare results. It shouldn't take more than 200 to 400m to get a clear idea of your differences.

PS: How do you compare on height?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 04-11-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
What I was looking for was if my spl is the same as yours for 2 lengths, why are my times 2 to 4 seconds higher than yours? Maybe I take longer on the turns than I realize or could it be something else?

Sherry
Are you using a tempo trainer? Also turns like you and/or terry mentioned. What lengths are you referring to...50s & 100s? Are you doing sets or isolated repeats?

HEre's a recent video of me swimming a 1:29.95 100yd at 21-24 spl. I think tempo is about .97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOtSZi9lHHc
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-11-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:

Sherry
One other thought...what is your SPL range?
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-11-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Turn time may account for part. Tempo is also likely an explanation. Suzanne can complete a length of the pool in the same SPL as you, but at faster stroke frequency.

A simple Tempo comparison will tell you precisely the difference--and the tempo gap you must narrow to swim at her SPL and pace.

I had a little private Tempo contest with myself this morning. See Set #3.

You and Suzanne could agree on a repeat distance, # of repeats, and tempo range, and compare results. It shouldn't take more than 200 to 400m to get a clear idea of your differences.

PS: How do you compare on height?

I like the challenge! Sherry I'll let you set the guidelines!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-12-2016

jenson1a

Terry: In your post #35 you asked my height--it is 5' 3". I weigh about 137 lbs and my age is 72. I have skinny arms and small hands and feet. Not the ideal swimmer!

Suzanne: In post #36 you asked do I use a TT. Yes, but not all the time. Sometimes use a stopwatch to record time and then calculate sr.

You also asked number of lengths. I use both isolated repeats and 4 sets of 50s. Have not yet graduated to 100s.

Your last question was my spl range. I aim for 17.5 to 19.5. I can hit pretty consistently 18 and 19.

Some other thoughts:
1. Turns are part of the problem. Sometimes I hit 1 or 2 extra beeps before pushing off on a turn. Not good
2. My tempo is a lot slower than Suzanne's. My most comfortable tempo is 150. Whole lot of difference between 150 and .97 This is what is causing the big difference.
3. Suzanne said she was swimming in a 25 yard pool. This is the biggie I forgot about. The pool I swim in is only 23 and 1/3 yards. So sorry, should have not forgotten that. Coach Mat recalculated the table (for me) of a 25 yd po0l to a 23 and 1/3 yd. For my height, gender, and age, he advised me that my range s/b 15.5 to 19.5 spl. Given my age he suggested swimming in the upper range--17.5 to 19.5

If this helps, I did a tempo pyramid on April 5th--2 lengths--140 ft
TT TTL Beeps SPL Time
1:30 46 39 59.8
1:40 45 38 63
1:50 43 36 64.5
1:60 42 35 67.2
1:55 42 35 65.1
1:50 43 36 64.5
1:45 44 37 63.8
1:40 45 38 63.0

Not sure if there is any need to continue the experiment suggested by Terry, but glad to continue if you think there would be any benefit by it.

Thanks both of you for your input.

Sherry
Old 04-12-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Mat's advice was spot on.
Your height is close to Suzanne's but she's decades younger.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story