Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2015

mgl2015
Default why hips sink?

I am trying to learn swimming at age 44. I notice that my hips sink helplessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLlQt6LM9s
In this video, at 15 second and 21 second etc., after each breath my hips sink. Instead of going thru smallest hole, I end going against water with half my torso size cross section, my body being at 45 degrees angle. This, in turn, consumes energy and is causing tiring and hard breathing.

When I wear 3mm wetsuit, my back is flush with water surface. When the wetsuit is off, i sink.

Is it because of lack of ability to float or wrong technique?
Old 07-30-2015
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Hello,
Congrats on learning how to swim. Welcome to our underwater world.

In looking at your stroke, I never see you start from a balanced position. When you do the superman drill do you float? You are quite lean so you don't have a lot of fat to help lift your legs. That means your technique will have to be really good to get your legs up. Technique issues I see that make it harder are:
1. Reaching hands to the surface. When you extend your hand forward, allow them to drop down 6 inches or so. It looks like your shoulders are a bit stiff so your current surface level reach looks like it is straining your shoulders and pushing your hips down.
2. Your head is up (looking forward) much of the stroke. We humans like to see where we are going, but we don't get to in the water. Look straight down while kicking and gliding and only slightly forward while breathing.
3. When you do stretch forward, put just enough (about 10%) effort into lengthening your body from fingers to toes. This will help connect your upper body to your hips so the changes you make to your upper body can affect your hips and legs.

Let us know how it goes.
E
Albuquerque, NM 87111
http://www.sites.google.com/site/des...achingsystems/
Old 07-31-2015

daveblt

Just to add to coach Eric's advice , You have to lean on your chest as your hands go forward and to the sweep out to also help get your legs up close to the surface .Your also pulling too far back , the pull should not go back any farther than your shoulders .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 10-02-2015 at 12:52 AM.