Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013

Talvi

@CoachDavidShen: I use a HR monitor (only the Poolmate HR works u/w though) but have no idea of how to read / calculate etc my lactate threshold

@Werner: re those questionmarked acronyms you've got:
EVL may have been a typo?
I use FB to mean Facebook (sorry)
FWIW = For What It's Worth (FYI = For Your Information, etc etc)
I don't know if SB = Season's Best

Oh yes, how about MET? It stands for Metabolic Equivalent of Task and is the basis on which exercise monitors (in sports watches, fitness equipment etc) assess how many calories have been burned in a task. As far as I can tell it's a pretty unsubstantiated form of measurement, but that's what's being fed back to folk as fact.

p.s presumably Tbc means To Be Completed ? ;)

Great stuff

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 09-18-2013

WFEGb

Hello Talvi,

thanks again. Put your hints into the list.

Once upon a time I was told tbc as "to be continued" but that's very long ago; nobody even knew what PCs or the Internet would be...

Best regards,
Werner

PS: To the youngsters in the forum: Yes it was possible to survive at those times... How we could survive without TI is still an unsolved miracle...
Old 09-19-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Once upon a time I was told tbc as "to be continued" but that's very long ago; nobody even knew what PCs or the Internet would be...

Best regards,
Werner

PS: To the youngsters in the forum: Yes it was possible to survive at those times... How we could survive without TI is still an unsolved miracle...
LoL and of course, yes, I remember now and am surprised that I'd forgotten! tbc used to be quite commonplace. The "unsolved miracle" is something extraordinary indeed. Why did we insist on relentlesssly hitting our heads against the brick wall in the hope that one day we'd enjoy doing it?!? I guess the idea was that to conquer our fears we need only to suffer more! roflol

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 09-21-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
@CoachDavidShen: I use a HR monitor (only the Poolmate HR works u/w though) but have no idea of how to read / calculate etc my lactate threshold
to be honest, the concept of LTHR, or even HR in swimming is relatively new as only recently have devices come on the market to enable decent readings of HR while swimming. but even then, how can you even take a peek at your HR when you're in the middle of swimming a lap and when it's on your wrist? (FINIS's audible HR monitor is more interesting in this regard).

people have used CSS or Critical Swim Speed in some circles but for TI, it's not as useful as training for swimming fast because in most instances means you shouldn't be anywhere close to a HR where you'll flame out shortly (ie. at LT HR).

For sprint swim training and for elites, managing effort (or more exactly, your effort at which you approach your LT) will be a factor as when you get your swim form skill maximized, then the only thing left to optimize is holding your swim form and efficiency while increasing effort.
Old 12-06-2013

Talvi

Hi Werner

Here's another one: "BR" I can't help with what it means though, Charles Couturier uses it.

EDIT:
Charles says it means Body Roll :)

~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 12-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2013

WFEGb

Hello Talvi,

thank you! I'd read the thread and put it in as "Body Rotation..."
Will correct it at once.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 12-07-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Talvi,

thank you! I'd read the thread and put it in as "Body Rotation..."
Will correct it at once.

Best regards,
Werner
No probs :) What is a difference between rotation and roll you're seeing Werner?

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 12-07-2013

WFEGb

Hello Talvi,

Body Roll seems a little bit on a leisure side and

Body Rotation sounds more physical :-)

But it's clearly open: English/American is not my native language...

Last but not least it is Charles' decision.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 12-15-2013

Richardsk

Hi Werner

umph or oomph is not an acronym but is onomatopoeia for the involuntary grunt caused by exertion, and hence loosely used for the idea of exertion or force. A well-known advocate of a forceful catch refers to it as 'umph at the front'.
Old 12-16-2013

WFEGb

Hello Richardsk,

umph-oomph .... thank you very much. I'll push them out, including Quotation marks :-)

Best regards,
Werner