Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009

rwilkes
Default Breathing Drills....

Has anyone got any ideas with breathing drills ???

I still cant breath properly, sometimes feel out of breath after 1/2 lenth. I am not over weight, so i think i am taking in too much air and not exhaling enough.

I just cant grasp out through nose, because when i am under the water i seem to breath through my mouth and not my nose.

Do you have any ideas/drills to improve this ???
Old 07-01-2009

jkmacman
Default breathing

sup swim folks?

i saw in a video, where you practice breathing by putting your head in a large bowl of water. this year i tried nose clips, basicaly to help learning flips in the pool and keep out choppy water

for over a year i been trying to breath out of both side (left and right) during free style, i find if i am more relaxed, i can swim more under water , as today i practiced, kicking off in 'needle position', triple-switch, into sweet spot. ideally i'd like to stitch together 2 or 3, triple switches, but for now getting one right is important, i broke my right clavicle last year, and my coach pointed out that i am not extending my right arm enough
Old 07-01-2009

kyliechops
Default Breathing drills

I highly recommend the TI DVD "O2 in H2O"; it helps with a lot of the common breathing issues that arise.

To help with your exhaling out the nose while under water, try humming. Besides making it basically impossible to exhale out of your mouth while humming, hence forcing you to exhale through your nose, the humming also helps control how quickly you exhale, so you don't blow it all out at once. It is critical that you exhale completely before taking in more air, otherwise the CO2 buildup will cause you to feel like you're out of air.

Another technique to help learn rhythmic breathing is to try "attaching" your chin to your shoulder when you rotate to breathe... that way your head will go right with your shoulder to air. It will feel a bit odd, but it helps you "find" air at first. You obviously don't want to do this a lot, but a few times to get a feel of where the air is and how everything rotates together... don't turn your head first, it throws off your balance.

Hope this helps... get the DVD... it has the bowl exercises in it as well.
Old 07-02-2009

weinzwei

The O2 in H20 breathing DVD helped me a lot. However at a 1500 meter open water swim this past weekend. I reverted back to breathing out under water through my mouth and actually felt more comfrotable swimming than i have in a long time. I know my coaches always frown on breathing out through the mouth but sometimes it just allows me to relax. Highly recommend the DVD

Jon
Old 07-02-2009

elskbrev

I had the most awesome experience in the pool this a.m.--I learned rhythmic breathing and swam the freestyle for the first time, and I just wrote to Coach Daley to share the news, came over here to the forum and, fancy, you should ask about breathing drills!

Here's what I just wrote to Mr. Daley (workshop, Apr 4-5; one lesson, Jun 3):

"I've practiced nothing but switch drills with roll to side or back for air (four+ yoga breaths) since I last talked to you (June 3, 2009). Today I finally decided to try rhythmic breathing with Z-switch, and it worked.

"Actually, before attempting to "freestyle," I first did four lengths in skate just turning face into the water (using kick to turn entire body) and back out, until I figured out how to be close enough to the surface to breath quickly with chin tucked. Then I tried it as a "switch" drill--breath in skate (chin tucked, one goggle wet), underswitch to other side to breath, underswitch to other side to breath--sort of a breath, 1, breath, 1 rhythm. After that, I tried 3 Z-strokes between breaths."

I decided what my tempo should be so I would know how much time I had to empty my lungs underwater. Today I exhaled steadily through my nose underwater, though I know the coach said to exhale lightly, then Expell the air quickly out your mouth, compressing your diaphragm to push the air all the way out, creating a vacuum just before you grab a bite of air. I was taking leisurely breaths, so "bite of air" would not describe what I was doing.

That's it; that's the drill. Worked for me. I got the idea from one of the dvd's where Terry describes how you should practice floating in skate and turning to air to see how easy it is to find the air. So, I just expanded on that idea, doing variations on that for a few lengths.

And I'm swimming!!! I know every stroke wasn't perfect, but I swam the freestyle today. First time.

Swim on!

Cindy

p.s. 7/12/09: I got it; I don't got it. :o( Everything clicked so perfectly that Thursday, but the following week was a demand for remedial practice of lead-up drills. No four lengths free-style easy in four days. Could be psychological--I had the pool all to myself that awesome day while all the following week, every day was crowded. On Wednesday, twenty people in a water strength/aerobics class all bobbing in unison meant "open water" turbulence. Need to review all drills, relax and try again. I'm going to get this.

Last edited by elskbrev : 07-12-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: update 7/12/09
Old 07-06-2009

rwilkes

Thanks for the advice on breathing.

I tried what you said eg, to exhale lightly, then Expell the air quickly out your mouth, compressing your diaphragm to push the air all the way out, creating a vacuum just before you grab a bite of air.

It seemed as though something was different, i wasnt not "gasping for air", becuase of the vacuum i created.

It never worked on all my breaths, because i need to practice the timing of the exhale because if i do it too quick whilst under the water, the vacuum will make me take water in.

But it is a start and something to work on !
Old 07-07-2009

epg14
Default Novice in Freestyle Swimming

Hello everybody! I am a new member of this forum. Actually, I am also novice in swimming. I just learn and found that swimming is fun when I am here at Dubai when I joined Hotel's Health Club where usage of swimming pool is included in the package. At first, I am am very hesitant in swimming since I am afraid that I might drown and it irritates me when I drunk pool water. When I watched the TI, I started to learn to swim. Right now, I am comfortable with swimming. I can do flutter kick and use hands when crawling but my problem is I have difficulty breathing because everytime I turns my head, I have difficulty gets air and water comes in to my nose and mouth and I find it very difficult to continue with my stroke. I felt that my legs shakes when I try to rotate to grasp air then recovery is very difficult for me. I just want to learn swimming by my own since I am already 31 years old and quite ashame to ask for assistance because I felt that they might laugh at me learning that I am juast novice in swimming. Maybe I am doing freestyle swimming wrong, when just doing flutter kick, I can go as far as I want holding my breath. Maybe my arm and hand movement have something to do with my problems to breath. Hoping that TI would help me how to learn to swim freesstyle effortlessly. Thank you very much in advance!
Old 07-07-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by epg14 View Post
Hello everybody! I am a new member of this forum. Actually, I am also novice in swimming. I just learn and found that swimming is fun when I am here at Dubai when I joined Hotel's Health Club where usage of swimming pool is included in the package. At first, I am am very hesitant in swimming since I am afraid that I might drown and it irritates me when I drunk pool water. When I watched the TI, I started to learn to swim. Right now, I am comfortable with swimming. I can do flutter kick and use hands when crawling but my problem is I have difficulty breathing because everytime I turns my head, I have difficulty gets air and water comes in to my nose and mouth and I find it very difficult to continue with my stroke. I felt that my legs shakes when I try to rotate to grasp air then recovery is very difficult for me. I just want to learn swimming by my own since I am already 31 years old and quite ashame to ask for assistance because I felt that they might laugh at me learning that I am juast novice in swimming. Maybe I am doing freestyle swimming wrong, when just doing flutter kick, I can go as far as I want holding my breath. Maybe my arm and hand movement have something to do with my problems to breath. Hoping that TI would help me how to learn to swim freesstyle effortlessly. Thank you very much in advance!
About a year ago, I started at about the same place. Here's what I would do:

1. Buy a copy of Easy Freestyle and view it. It is a step by step methodology on the TI method. It will require you to start from the beginning which may seem redundant at first but later it will become apparent later.

2. Try to atttend a TI workshop which will be the fastest way to learn the TI technique and drills to perfect the technique. There are many TI international groups. I don't know about Dubai but you might inquire.

3. Watch as many TI videos as you can. There a fair number on the web which will give you good idea of how it should be done.

4. There are breathing drills that you might want to try and TI has a video (O2 in H2O but from what you are saying, your problems have more to do with your specific swimming technique than a isolated breathing flaw.

5. Once you have the basic TI technique ingrained, pose specific questions that you have about drills or problems that you are having to this forum. For instance, you mention that you have difficulty rotating and breathing. Well there could be a number of things wrong. You mention a flutter kick but TI uses a two beat kick in whole stroke. When you rotate to a side, that sides arm should be out front and "patient" as you roll to air. Under those circumstances, recovery on the other side shouldn't be issue even if you went stacked shoulders (TI no longer recommends this). Do you exhale into the water? Through your mouth or nose? Do you fully exhale or do you need one last blow before you breathe in? Is your head position up in the water or on the side when you attempt to breathe?

Start out with the Easy Freestyle video first. Going through that thoroughly may fix a lot of your problems. Good luck!!
Old 07-12-2009

elskbrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreides View Post
2. Try to atttend a TI workshop which will be the fastest way to learn the TI technique and drills to perfect the technique.
I began right where epg14 is just last April when I took part in a weekend TI seminar. I could not swim even a bad freestyle. My only swimming experience consisted of being able to float and turn onto my back, and to swim a non-TI style backstroke fairly well, sometimes.

The weekend workshop is a great way to get small group instruction on all the TI freestyle drills in just two days, but it is not a guarantee that you will be able to swim whole stroke TI freestyle correctly in just two days. You will spend six hours in the water and be asked to try all the TI drills, through rhythmic breathing with z-stroke, even if you have not mastered the lead-up drills.

Unless you are a very quick study, it is likely you will spend many patient hours after the workshop practicing these same drills to perfect and imprint balance, kick, timing, arm positions, tempo, and so on before you will actually swim TI freestyle.

I am not sure if one on one lessons in concert with joining a TI swim group would have worked better for me; cannot exactly turn back time. In any case, the only swim group in the area is 45 minutes from my house, and a certified TI instructor is a scarcity at this time, so I practice alone.

Last edited by elskbrev : 07-12-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2009

elskbrev
Default Benko breathing drill

At 2:28 in this video of Olympian Lindsay Benko is a breathing drill like the one I practice: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7n...-crole-1_sport . It teaches you how to stay balanced close to the top of the water and reach quickly for air.

Update 7/16/09: This is actually in Easy Freestyle, lesson six; I just didn't remember it.

Last edited by elskbrev : 07-16-2009 at 11:00 PM.