Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013

swimust
Default Can swimming help a torn calf muscle?

Is it the most annoying sports injury out there? I tore my calf muscle. I had this "endless frustration" injury for the last 4 months. Looks like today was my "Independence" day and I feel that suddenly I have a normal calf again.
After the first two months of the injury I went back to playing basketball because I didnt felt any pain. That was the worst thing I could do because of the huge "weight and twist" sudden forces I let my calf go through. I tore it again of course... There are no warning signs. The muscle is still too weak but it doesnt hurt at all until its too late and you tore it again!
Last two months were just a one big depressing and frustrating time.
I couldnt do more than 200-300 strides at once. After that my calf muscle simply declared "no game" and stopped functioning and then I was just limping my way back. In addition I was losing any sense of the toes during the limp. I felt that I had no toes..
In last 4 days I started doing exercises to strengthen the calf (climbing a stair) and an "opposite" stretching exercise.
Walked today more than usual, then decided to tighten the laces on my feet and suddenly it fixed itself somehow during the walk! I felt that the problem was fixed and my calf healed !!!
Maybe just tightening the laces released the calf from the effort of lifting the shoe? I have no clue. But FOR THE FIRST TIME in 4 months I feel that I have two legs to walk on.
During this time I was swimming as usual. I believe that my swim helped the healing of the calf and flexed the muscles there.
This is a very frustrating injury because you cant measure it and you cant figure out your condition. Healing time is 3-6 months at least.
What do you think? Anyone else here suffered from this crippling injury?
I could swim but I couldnt walk for a long time...

Last edited by swimust : 03-07-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2013

swimust

"mystery solved" today at the pool! I tore my calf muscle BECAUSE OF my faulty breaststroke swim!
When I was twisting out the feet just before the kick, I was doing it without twisting the shin and the calf (keeping them straight)!
It was inevitable that I will tear the calf! Idiot..
"better late than never"... 4 months of stupidity solved at last
Old 04-15-2013

gdmv77 has disabled reputation

Let us be honest - you tore your calf muscle because the musculature and supporting ligaments and tendons got overloaded - not because of an incorrect swimming technique.

The one issue with swimming is that while it can be great for health, it has no ground-reactive force (the Earth pushing back at you - yes it really does). So swimmers will lack this force during their practice. If you swim a lot, and do very little ground-based training or sports, then go try to do it (especially basketball which has high ground-reactive forces during jumping), it is much easier to overload the musculature.

The answer? Strengthen your muscles through a well-programmed weight program along with your swimming, and don't try to be an elite weekend-warrior on the basketball court if you aren't one. Remember even if you love to swim, you were built to work on land.
Old 02-05-2014

EdwardWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmv77 View Post
Let us be honest - you tore your calf muscle because the musculature and supporting ligaments and tendons got overloaded - not because of an incorrect swimming technique.

The one issue with swimming is that while it can be great for health, it has no ground-reactive force (the Earth pushing back at you - yes it really does). So swimmers will lack this force during their practice. If you swim a lot, and do very little ground-based training or sports, then go try to do it (especially basketball which has high ground-reactive forces during jumping), it is much easier to overload the musculature.

The answer? Strengthen your muscles through a well-programmed weight program along with your swimming, and don't try to be an elite weekend-warrior on the basketball court if you aren't one. Remember even if you love to swim, you were built to work on land.
I agree with you. Swimming itself can't harm. Such issues are usually connected with the technique used.

Last edited by EdwardWilson : 03-05-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardWilson View Post
I agree with you. Swimming itself can't harm. Such issues are usually connected with the technique used.
My 2c worth is that I think it depends what's meant by "harm". I often get cramp in my calves while swimming. That can "harm" if I'm not careful.

My advice for a "torn" muscle, though I suspect that depends on just how torn it is, would be the standard: maintain movement, encourage circulation, rest, and avoid applying maximal stress i.e make movements to just before the level of discomfort rather than trying to force it. Forcing it, if it is damaged, will merely compromise the healing process.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov