Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013

swim2Bfree
Default "Is TI notable" - thread was deleted

Interesting thread about the TI Wikipedia entry was deleted.

Why?
Old 02-07-2013

DD_l_enclume

Was looking for the update as well yesterday, but could not find that thread.
Might be related to the recent spam on the forum.

Was interesting though.
That's very annoying.
Old 02-08-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I deleted it. I didn't consider the thread . . . notable.
This is a forum for discussion of swimming. Not the protocols of wikiworld.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-08-2013

swim2Bfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
An interesting decision, to delete the thread entirely, rather than let it die a natural death, or simply close it to new posts.

Now anyone who endeavors to edit the TI wikipedia entry in the future, will have no idea this useful discussion ever happened.

Deleting threads always leads to more questions than would have been raised otherwise.
Old 02-08-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I think, given Suzanne's experience, most people will view any effort to edit a TI entry on wikipedia as folly. The comments cited as justification by the wikipedia brahmins who eviscerated her entry make it clear that, while the wiki community congratulates itself on supposed academic standards, in reality anyone at all can edit an entry for what are actually narrow highly personal biases.
What Suzanne posted was not marketing; it was simply a statement of facts. That a brahmin thought it was marketing does not make it so.
The other objection to Suzanne's post was that "TI is not the only swim method; where is mention of the others?"
While I would take the position that the only other swim program that both satisfies the definition of being a method, and can be identified by a brand, is Miracle Swimming, Melon Dash's program for phobic swimmers, if someone feels they have a 'notable' swim method, and wish to have that validated via a mention in wikipedia they can create a post. TI doesn't need such validation.

But the thread had devolved into an angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin discussion of wiki protocols which is more suited to some other Forum. And since I pay the freight for this one, I suppose that entitles me to my own occasional personally-biased decisions on killing threads vs letting them die a natural death.

I may kill this one too, but--at least at the moment--the discussion is about TI Forum protocols, not wikipedia's.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-08-2013
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
As one of the participants in the deleted thread, I actually have to agree with Terry. Several years ago, a man came to my area from New Zealand, and one of the things he wanted to do while he was here was to get Total Immersion training, which he did from me. If a program is getting students for a coach in New Jersey from the other side of the world, I don't think it needs to prove that it's notable.

Bob
Old 02-09-2013

swim2Bfree

I'm not sure what TI's "notability" has to do with the decision to delete a thread discussing the Wikipedia entry. CoachBobM, it's cool that you got a student from New Zealand, but it's a nonsequitur.

Even the infamous Swim Smooth thread was just closed to comments, not deleted entirely.

It seemed like a curious and disproportionate response.
Old 02-09-2013
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2Bfree View Post
I'm not sure what TI's "notability" has to do with the decision to delete a thread discussing the Wikipedia entry. CoachBobM, it's cool that you got a student from New Zealand, but it's a nonsequitur.
I'm not sure why you think it's non sequitur. It not only means that people all over the world have heard of TI - it also suggests that TI has developed a reputation for being able to improve people's swimming in remarkable ways.

I've visited Europe a couple of times, so I'm familiar with the mindset of people doing foreign travel: You've got a limited amount of time to have some once-in-a-lifetime experiences, so you try to plan your agenda so as to fit in the best collection of experiences you can in the time available. And, for this man, getting TI training was one of the things he wanted to squeeze in. If that doesn't fit Wikipedia's definition of notable, this probably says more about their definition than anything else - which, I think, was Terry's point.

Bob
Old 02-09-2013

andyinnorway

Generally I would assume this was a forum for people practicing or wishing to discover the TI swimming method.

I do not think it also needs to be a forum for people wishing to challenge the TI method, presumably they have their own forum for those purposes?
Old 02-10-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
If that doesn't fit Wikipedia's definition of notable, this probably says more about their definition than anything else - which, I think, was Terry's point.
Bob
That forum just need a swim café room or something, where income tax return, Sarah Palin, the new cheap Rolls Royce (which is anything but a Royce imo) and wiki matters can freely be discussed ;-)

(But.. who em I to suggest what this forum misses LOL)

I've said it (but it got deleted lol.. ), if the swim company that was the first, that showed the way, and who finally offered a serious alternative to city pool swim classes to the adult enthusiastic is not worth a comprehensive entry in Wiki for this, then it's a shame! It's a Wikiness to this notable encyclopedia :)

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 02-10-2013 at 12:28 AM.