Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013

swimust
Default Calling CoachSuzanne and others

Hi,
I have a torn calf muscle since November 2012 and I cant solve it.
After 200-300 yards of walk I switch to limping. It hurts more when I have to ascend. When I continue to walk, I lose feeling in some areas of my feet like the toes.
I made the mistake of playing basketball only two months after the injury and I cant solve it since then. Its about 4 months since playing basketball and aggravating the injury.
Can you give me some practical advice please or refer me to a reliable website?

When I walk, the pain is at the higher area of the calf (not at the connection with the Achilles tendon) and I have no clue how to train and strengthen this area.
After reading Wikipedia it maybe one of these two muscle groups: "gastrocnemius" or "soleus".

Many thanks

Last edited by swimust : 05-12-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2013

Richardsk

Hot swimust

You probably need to see a doctor or at least a physiotherapist. Your injury may recover naturally if you just rest it - rest is a great healer, but if there is severe damage, which there probably isn't, since you can walk on it to some extent, you may need intervention. Have you tried the usual remedies of ice, heat and massage?

Not to mention horse (or donkey) liniment, of course ;-)

Body builders used to swear by horse liniment.
Old 05-12-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hot swimust

You probably need to see a doctor or at least a physiotherapist. Your injury may recover naturally if you just rest it - rest is a great healer, but if there is severe damage, which there probably isn't, since you can walk on it to some extent, you may need intervention. Have you tried the usual remedies of ice, heat and massage?

Not to mention horse (or donkey) liniment, of course ;-)

Body builders used to swear by horse liniment.
I already went to a doctor and seems like they don't do much to help... an "ultra sound" check may revel the extent of the tear but how EXACTLY do you treat such tear?...
I was too confident and started playing basketball too early (after about 2 months) and it got much worse. Basketball is the worst sports for such injury because of the sudden pressures on the calf.
It doesn't go away for 4 months... rest or no rest. I tried both rest and exercise. Maybe I don't know how to treat it and which exercise to do.

Its a very tricky injury because of the changing body weight and the big forces working on the calf.
Old 05-12-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
I already went to a doctor and seems like they don't do much to help... an "ultra sound" check may revel the extent of the tear but how EXACTLY do you treat such tear?...
The muscle will heal with scar tissue formation in the area. 4 months seems like long enuough for scar tissue to heal. If the scar fibers laid down are not in alighment with the muscle fiber direction of use, it can cause ongoing discomfort.

Manual therapy like massage, trigger point, graston technique, active release therapy may all help.

Quote:
I was too confident and started playing basketball too early (after about 2 months) and it got much worse. Basketball is the worst sports for such injury because of the sudden pressures on the calf.
It doesn't go away for 4 months... rest or no rest. I tried both rest and exercise. Maybe I don't know how to treat it and which exercise to do.

Its a very tricky injury because of the changing body weight and the big forces working on the calf.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-13-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
The muscle will heal with scar tissue formation in the area. 4 months seems like long enuough for scar tissue to heal. If the scar fibers laid down are not in alighment with the muscle fiber direction of use, it can cause ongoing discomfort.

Manual therapy like massage, trigger point, graston technique, active release therapy may all help.
It feels that it got worse and I can walk less than 2 months ago. Should I wait more time for scar tissue formation or start therapy?
I was trying some exercises which may have damaged the muscle. I.E. - climbing a step repeats on one leg.

Many Thanks
Old 05-13-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
It feels that it got worse and I can walk less than 2 months ago. Should I wait more time for scar tissue formation or start therapy?
I was trying some exercises which may have damaged the muscle. I.E. - climbing a step repeats on one leg.

Many Thanks
Go see a professional.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-13-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Go see a professional.
ok thanks