Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015

Talvi
Default MP3 Players

Coming back to this after Shinji wrote that he uses the Finis Neptune player ... and found another three to choose from at my store:
Speedo Aquabat (just for the name?!)
Jaked J-Sound
Sony NWZ

Any experiences?

(then of course would come the problem of getting enough music to fit my tempo!!)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 02-16-2015

sojomojo has disabled reputation

There are several swimmers at my pool who use the Finis Neptune. They say the sound quality is pretty good when the MP3 is underwater. The only complaint that I’ve heard is that skinny goggle straps do not securely hold the Finis.

For me, a big drawback to the Finis (other than the higher price) is that it can only be used underwater. I prefer to have an MP3 player that can be used outside of the swimming pool. For that reason, the Sony Walkman is a better option for me since I can use it at the gym or while running; and I can use the earbuds as ear plugs to keep water out. I’ve ordered one to take with me on vacation so I’ll be able to give a more in-depth user review toward the end of March.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/blog/top-w...-mp3s-compared
Old 02-17-2015

machelett

If you already have an MP3 player, you might want to try something like the Design Go Luggage Dry Sounds waterproof MP3 player case with earphone jack and add waterproof headphones to that.
An iPod Shuffle should be almost unnoticeable in that pack when placed under the swimcap.

That will set you back 20 to 25 dollars, which is bearable if you find out you don't like listening to music when swimming.

Well, in fact you can use it for more than just music. You could for example record a metronome (or TempoTrainer) progression, which increases stroke frequency over time. That way you wouldn't have to fiddle with your TempoTrainer device every few lengths to set the new tempo. Just an idea. :)
Old 02-19-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomojo View Post
... For me, a big drawback to the Finis (other than the higher price) is that it can only be used underwater. ...
This is something that confused me. From the Finis video, it works by conducting sound through the bone direct to the inner ear. So ... what has water got to do with it?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 02-19-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by machelett View Post
If you already have an MP3 player, you might want to try something like the Design Go Luggage Dry Sounds waterproof MP3 player case with earphone jack and add waterproof headphones to that.
An iPod Shuffle should be almost unnoticeable in that pack when placed under the swimcap.

That will set you back 20 to 25 dollars, which is bearable if you find out you don't like listening to music when swimming.

Well, in fact you can use it for more than just music. You could for example record a metronome (or TempoTrainer) progression, which increases stroke frequency over time. That way you wouldn't have to fiddle with your TempoTrainer device every few lengths to set the new tempo. Just an idea. :)
VERY sensible advice!! Thanks for the thoughts. And I am worried that I won't like listening to music while swimming too!

Off topic but I had the idea for using the TT to get two tempos, and no fiddling. Using either three beats or two beats per stroke, instead of just one, and using 0.55 for instance, gives tempos of 1.65 and 1.10. I'm thinking of alternating 50m at 1.10 (my fast speed) and 50m at 1.65 ("cooldown").

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 02-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
This is something that confused me. From the Finis video, it works by conducting sound through the bone direct to the inner ear. So ... what has water got to do with it?
The sound quality is much better when it's underwater since water helps conduct the sound. From user reviews, those who breaststroke are the ones who give it the lowest ratings since their head is too often out of the water so the sound quality is inconsistent.
Old 02-19-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomojo View Post
The sound quality is much better when it's underwater since water helps conduct the sound. From user reviews, those who breaststroke are the ones who give it the lowest ratings since their head is too often out of the water so the sound quality is inconsistent.
... this sounds like the experience but it shouldn't be if what Finis claims is true. Their claim (and patent) regards bone conductance - their phone transmits sound into the cheek bone and from there to the bones of the inner ear where it is then "heard". If this is the case then water plays no obvious role, yet in reality, as you say, it does. Maybe the problem is with the connection between the phone and the cheekbone? In which case some jelly might help? It's confusing.

~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 03-26-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2015

sam_shee

The Sony NWZ is pretty decent for the price, but unfortunately not the best underwater audio device. It works great until you get fluid between your auditory canal and the inner earpiece, which obviously happens way too easily, especially if you're doing freestyle.
Old 06-08-2015

Default REVIEW: Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player

Three months ago, I purchased the Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-N...mp3+waterproof

I had it for two weeks (so I did try to get it to work) before I returned it since it was NOT suitable for any of the competitive swim strokes. The Sony Walkman has two big chunks of plastic sticking out from the ears and a stiff plastic neck band. This profile creates a significant drag when your head is underwater and water pressure will pull the earbuds out of the ears. The only “anchor” to keep the MP3 player from blowing off are the two earbuds and Sony sold the MP3 player with only it standard oval or round earbuds. These types of earbuds do not sit very deep inside the ear canals so they’ll constantly pop out while swimming especially if water seeps into the ear canals. Sony should have sold it with a tiered coned or “Christmas tree” earbuds which are better suited for underwater swimming.

The Sony Walkman comes with sets of regular and waterproof earbuds. I was going to keep the Sony Walkman for running and it worked and sounded fine, but $90 was way too expensive for a one-dimensional MP3 player that I couldn’t use for swimming.

The Sony store website shows it’s now discontinued and on clearance.

http://store.sony.com/clearance-4gb-...-Players-Docks

There are also numerous listings on eBay for them so you can now get it for less than its original MSRP $99.

The Sony Walkman waterproof MP3 is better suited for those who swim with their head out of the water or who are doing water aerobics or who want to listen to music while freshwater kayaking, canoeing, rowing, or SUP. If you intend to use it for swimming any of the competitive strokes, I do NOT recommend it.

I’m now using a different waterproof MP3 player for swimming. I’ve been using it for for the past three weeks with success so I’ll write a review on it next.
Old 06-08-2015

lloyddinma

I got the Sony NWZW273S last July. It is only the second time ever I have been dissapointed with a Sony product.

The waterbuds everyone is talking about help keep water out. But they also keep out sound from the music! You can barely hear it.

For me, it feels like a separate TI drill keeping them on and fitting them with my googles.

So far the Finis product, taking in price etc., is the way to go. They just look something designed by the Chrysler or Chevy team in the 70s: a little wanting in elegance.

Give Sony a few more product cycles to get it right.

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.