Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2015

novaswimmer
Default Timing the breath

While I'm not exactly a sinker, I'm certainly not super-buoyant, so my breathing 'window' is very short and timing is critical...or my head soon falls well below the water line.

I have pulled together several images of various swimmers that seem to be breathing earlier or later in relation to the recovery arm position. Of course the arm moves pretty quickly, and the breath does not occur at 125/of a sec like a camera shutter. LOL! But for argument's sake let's say the breath is initiated at these four arm positions.

I would say my breathing point is probably most similar to #1. This position seems to fit my personal buoyancy (or lack of it). If I breath when my arm is raised up too far, it pushes me down lower in the water (forget high elbows!).

Now, my swim speed is quite slow. I would imagine the timing might have to be altered with an increase in swimming tempo?

Where does everyone fall in this range? Just curious.

[/url]

Last edited by novaswimmer : 01-03-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2015

jenson1a

Hi Novaswimmer

I had considered starting a thread concerning breath timing. Decided to look at the breathing forum to see what had already been posted. Saw your thread and hope that by answering your post, it generates some discussion.

Bases on your 4 pictures, I guess my breathing resembles more of the swimmer in #3.
Occasionally when I lose focus, #4 happens more often than not. This happens more so when I breathe on my left side. When I see my arm, then I know that I have waited too long to breathe.

Have not experimented with different speeds, but will try when I get back in pool.

There was a post a long time ago from Madvet that when you are in the pulling phase you should not breathe. Reason stated that your lungs cannot open up. Coach Suzanne later replied that this was not the case, but breathing while in the pulling phase was bad because of timing of the breath. However she didn't go into what was the best timing of the breath. I would think that picture #1 illustrates the best time since we are advised to breathe early.

Hope this generates some comments

Sherry